PDA

View Full Version : gold removal ??

buggybuilder
11-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Bought a Remington rifle at a gun-show last week. Bubba put some kind of gold or gold leaf in the "Remington" logo.
I think it looks cheap. Any ideas on how to remove it without sacrificing the bluing?

LAGS
11-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Did you try Acetone ?

pietro
11-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Use acetone or lacquer thinner to soften the paint, and a toothpick to clean out the recess'.

Be sure to put some oil on the metal afterward, as the solvents will remove any rust protection there. :bigsmyl2:

rockrat
11-28-2017, 08:26 PM
I had a gun that way. Used Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner (don't get it on the stock!!) and a soft brass bristle brush and took my time.

Texas by God
11-28-2017, 09:31 PM
I had a gun that way. Used Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner (don't get it on the stock!!) and a soft brass bristle brush and took my time.^^^^^^^^ this. It belongs on every gun bench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

buggybuilder
11-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Will acetone or carb cleaner ruin the bluing?

2152hq
11-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Will acetone or carb cleaner ruin the bluing?

Won't harm bluing but it will remove any oil/preservative from the surface so reapply after use.

Acetone and carb cleaner will generally damage most wood finishes so be careful not to get any of it on the wood.
They can also damage some plastic and other synthetics.
If you scrubb the surface with acetone using a common toothbrush to remove the 'gold' , you will find that the toothbrushes will start to melt/disolve from the acetone. Quite a mess!
A MilSpec M16 cleaning brush works well, they hold up OK. Or just use a toothpick to agitate the stuff in the stamping cuts as already mentioned.

The use of the kits to enhance markings was quite popular in the 70's,maybe still is.
Gold-Lode & Bonanza Gold are a couple of the popular DIY kits I remember being sold.

hp246
11-29-2017, 02:10 AM
Will acetone or carb cleaner ruin the bluing? You want to use non-chlorinated card cleaner.

dagger dog
11-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Swipe someof the Mrs's nail polish (acetone) remover apply it to the gun with a tooth pick and use the pick as a scrub, it'll come off.

Discus420
12-08-2017, 08:23 PM
you can get copper pads like stainless steel that will not take off bluing on Amazon

What ever you do try it on a hidden area of the gun first under the stock

waksupi
12-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Swipe someof the Mrs's nail polish (acetone) remover apply it to the gun with a tooth pick and use the pick as a scrub, it'll come off.

Probably the best solution.