PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimmer Mods for Arthritic Hands

Alan in Vermont
11-28-2017, 05:36 PM
With aging and some injuries thrown in it has been getting painful for me to trim cases. I have both Forster & RCBS trimmers and both have the threaded spindle that you turn to tighten the collets. The constant twisting combined with muscle & nerve damage in my left shoulder/arm was making me dread trimming. Not too bad on short runs but I also do an initial trim on all my straight walled handgun cases. When my collection bucket gets full I size/trim/wash & tumble the lot, around 500 pcs of 38 Sp.

To get around having to twist the spindle I came up with an extension handle that works on both trimmers. A short length of 3/8"(OD) automotive tubing, a 3/8" shaft collar a short piece of a fairly stiff foam that was left over from use to permit me to grip eating utensils when I was recovering from nerve damage that had left my left hand temporarily paralyzed.

I put a bit of a bend in the tubing which allows it to be turned to the best angle to get the needed travel. By putting it on either end of the crossbar I can get it to tighten down on any case I have to work with.

The tube is a drive fit inside the shaft collar. I drove it far enough that the tube is flush with the collar.

Using a drill bit that just fit through the hole for the setscrew I drilled the tube, then ran the appropriate tap through the collar and tube. That way the threads in the collar go all the way through the tube. Using a longer setscrew allows tightening the handle down on the smaller crossbar for the Forster trimmer as well as the RCBS.

The parts should be easy enough to come up with, the tube & collar at a hardware store, the foam sleeve may take a little finagling. It is available on Amazon but only in sets of three different sizes. A little browsing in the hardware store might come up with something that would work or a short piece of broomhandle could be drilled to fit. I had to glue the foam on as it was a loose fit on the tube. I smeared a little silicone sealant on the tube and slid the foam on then let it sit overnight.

Now what was a twisting of the wrist is done with light pressure of the fingers or an out-and-back move of the forearm. Far less irritating and tiring this way.

RCBS has a cutterhead that trim & deburrs inside and out in one operation but has only a limited selection of the pilot/inside deburring cutter. They don't offer one in 35 rifle/38 handgun size. But it is possible to use a snug fitting standard 35 pilot along with the outside chamfering cutter to get trimmed cases with no, or insignificant, inside burr. I can't get decent pics of how I made it happen but it was just a little trial & error along with being smarter than the tool to make it work.

Somebody makes an adapter that screws into the end of the trimmer shaft to convert it to a 1/4" hex which makes it dead easy to drive the trimmer with a cordless drill.

No more small twisting motions with fingers or wrists now so case trimming, while still tedious is no longer painful.

I'm sick of typing at the moment but I will see if I can find the source for the foam padding and that power adapter and post them later.

country gent
11-28-2017, 05:56 PM
The longer handle helps a lot and will make it easier for you. another option would be a lever to cam the collet back with a downward pressure on it. would limit the collet adjustment to 180* though. A lever made to use the existing pin and a bearing surface to hit the back of the collet mount with a 8"-12" long horizontal lever. this could be welded up with a little try out. The front edges would need to be a cam type face to push back the needed amount. but hand pressure should be enough.

W.R.Buchanan
12-04-2017, 03:15 PM
One thing you can do to circumvent the pain,,, is to stop trimming your pistol rounds.

They don't need it and virtually everyone here will tell you the same thing.

Also RCBS's later trim lathes have a lever operated collet closer that will fit right on your machine. It is much easier and more consistent than the earlier collet closer like you have.

I also have one like yours and I stopped using it years ago because It was slow and cranking the handle got old pretty quick.

I now use Lee Trimmers and a Cordless Drill which is simpler, cheaper, and works better than any of the "Trim Lathe" type trimmers.

Randy

Bama
12-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Same problems with fingers and wrists. World cheapest Trimmer really has resolved that problem. Got one for every caliber (not much more than lee systen. Put it in drill press and can go through 500 or so in short order. Cutter is sharp enough that very little champhering is needed (that is were I had problems from wrists. Have not used any other type since found WCT.

Grmps
12-04-2017, 06:22 PM
I've always been a big fan of "cheater bars" and leverage.

Simple Trimer Drill Jig

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348589-Simple-Trimer-Drill-Jig

No twisting, just push down on the handle and put brass in the slot

*I'm converting 9x19 into 9x18 otherwise I wouldn't be trimming pistol brass :)

Moleman-
12-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I did something similar to my Forster case trimmer collet closer handle. Reaming a few hundred cases at a time towards the end my hands would hurt and the next day it would take a while for them to loosen up from trigger finger. Basically the small 3/6" handle was covered with a larger 5/8" longer handle that didn't require as much force to close. Much nicer to use. I mount my trimmers on a section of 2x4, then just put them in a vise when in use to save bench space. In use the handle sits outside of the vise jaws so the extra length isn't an issue.

Honcho
01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Allen, I "Feel your pain"! I'm 80 years old with hands that have been hit hard with a hammer once too many times, and the arthritis is compounding the felony! But like Randy said, I've come up with the same solution of using a battery operated, low speed screwdriver, and the Lee case trimmers, you can't beat them with a stick! I also do my case chamfering at the same time, works for me! I had spent the money for a Lyman crank case trimmer, many years ago, but I'll bet you the dust on it is an inch thick, by now, I just can't turn that crank as well as I once did.
A lot of people bad-mouth Lee products, but aside from making reloading affordable to those of us who are on tight budgets, their engineering is very good, IMHO.

OldBearHair
01-02-2018, 06:32 PM
This must be the 80 year old gang with arthritis and hammer damaged hands! Eighty Three years January 3rd. Hey I am fortunate to have in my shop a 3600 lb. case trimmer. Here is the picture.210919 Aircraft type spotfacer with different size pilot guides.