PDA

View Full Version : 30/40 ai

Rich/WIS
11-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Decided to form some more the other day using vintage 30/40 Win brass. Formed 100 back in June from new Graf's brass with no issues but the thinner Win brass was another matter. Using 50 twice reloaded brass failure rate was about 50%, almost all from splits at the shoulder. Second 50 had 8 reloads on them but had been annealed before forming, loss rate was about 12%, again from shoulder splits. Lesson learned was to anneal before forming, although it may just be that Win brass is thinner and may not have enough meat to expand that much without splitting. Before using the survivors will anneal again as a precautionary measure.

Gewehr-Guy
11-28-2017, 02:42 PM
I've heard the rumor that Graf's supplier of 30-40 brass has locked the doors, so if you really like their brass you might want to order some while it is still available. Anyone else know anything about this? On a positive note, I see that Hornady 30-40 brass is now in stock at Grafs and Midway, 50 for $39.99.

texassako
11-28-2017, 04:32 PM
I believe it was the hardness, not the thickness, that caused the failure. Especially if the same brass annealed did not have similar failures.