PDA

View Full Version : People!!!

DeanoBeanCounter
11-26-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm on the timid side so have a hard time with situations like this. When I went to the rock quarry to do some shooting there was a group of people just packing up that had toddler and a dog there. I don't know if the child had hearing protection but was inside a fence. I've never heard of hearing protection for dogs. Made me feel like useing those people as targets. Is there a way or anything can be done about people like this?
Dean

Hickory
11-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Some people are just inconsiderate or don't think. As a result others suffer.
Name the situation and they are there.
One of the sad parts of life.

nagantguy
11-26-2017, 08:11 PM
I've seen folks bring a dog to a range or shoot and think it's cruel and stupid. A toddler? Let's hope they had the decency to use some sort of ear pro.

lucifers
11-26-2017, 09:10 PM
MYOB. They might be crazies.

fatelk
11-26-2017, 09:48 PM
I sure hope they had the minimal intelligence to protect the little one's hearing. Little ears are sensitive and can be permanently damaged.

A little off topic, but we had a dog when I was growing up, a beautiful collie, that just wouldn't stay away from gunfire. Anytime I went to target shoot on the back 40 I had to remember to tie her up, or she would hear the gun fire and come running looking for something to chase. I remember one time getting done shooting a few rounds from the bench with a 30-06, then looking down to see her sitting right in front of the bench, wagging her tail with an excited look in her eyes. I felt absolutely terrible. She must have been about deaf. My sister had seen her tied up at the house and let her loose.

WebMonkey
11-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Kinda suck if somebody told me to leave my rabbit dog at home.
Even worse if I had to leave my upland bird dog at home.
I can't retrieve as well as I used to.
;)

Boaz
11-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Seen people take a dog to the range or shooting . Foolish thing to do , wrong thing to do . Their hearing is more sensitive than ours .

Bazoo
11-26-2017, 11:10 PM
I generally mind my own business. I dont like confrontation. Seems a lot of folks dont mind however and take it upon themselves to have something to say about what others do. Other folks' kids and dogs are not my business and unless I witnessed actual abuse I would keep my nose out of it. Id have to witness something pretty bad before i'd consider stepping in and saying something or calling the law. I dont tell others how to raise their kids and dogs, even if I dont like how they are doing it, and I certainly wouldnt want anyone telling me how to raise my dogs (no kids yet).

You might could have called the law on them and gotten CPS involved, by why? I find it better to say a prayer over the matter and let it be.

Sometimes I take my boxer with me when I shoot clays. I make her sit about 15 yards behind and slightly left so I can see her over my left shoulder. She likes going with me.

JimB..
11-26-2017, 11:18 PM
I generally have extra safety equipment, and I’d offer it to them if I saw that anyone in the group was not properly equipped.

merlin101
11-26-2017, 11:46 PM
I'm on the timid side so have a hard time with situations like this. When I went to the rock quarry to do some shooting there was a group of people just packing up that had toddler and a dog there. I don't know if the child had hearing protection but was inside a fence. I've never heard of hearing protection for dogs. Made me feel like useing those people as targets. Is there a way or anything can be done about people like this?
Dean

Just leave it be, you didn't see them shooting so you don't know if the dog and kid had been on the line or in the car. You never know they may even have just been picking up brass or mining lead!

Plate plinker
11-26-2017, 11:54 PM
You could have walked up and said hey what kind of hearing protection you have for your kid. I have been looking all over for something good for my kid. As for the Dog ....well whatever its just a dog. Not worth an argument.

Mr_Sheesh
11-26-2017, 11:55 PM
They definitely do make dog earpro ("Mutt Muffs", "Pro Ears") and eyepro ("Doggles")

Some dogs just do LOVE gunfire though; One girlfriends' Irish Setter would tear her vehicle apart if left in the car while we shot even .22 as she knew there were game birds out there to go gather! Another friend's dog was just a CHARACTER, he didn't retrieve but he'd go run up to the targets when not restrained, silly beastie. So he got locked away from the range a lot.

Other dogs are not so much thrilled, though (Gal I know's dog was phobic of fireworks, some herbal calming stuff she found and a pair of dog earpro and he was just fine, sitting next to her while we watched the fireworks.)

Educating and asking them might have gone over well, some people don't seem to ever think, but if you come across as harsh or judging that almost guarantees "a scene", I'd ask "where in the world did you find ear protection that fits your kidlet?" or something like that. And if they get grumpy, well, it's on their head, not yours. As my father had lost almost all his hearing from not using earpro, I am somewhat of an earpro fanatic, have to protect your ears to keep them working.

bdicki
11-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Kinda suck if somebody told me to leave my rabbit dog at home.
Even worse if I had to leave my upland bird dog at home.
I can't retrieve as well as I used to.
;)
Retrieve, I can't even find them without my Springer.

runfiverun
11-27-2017, 12:22 AM
yep.

JBinMN
11-27-2017, 12:46 AM
"A man ought ta do what he thinks is best" - "Hondo" Lane.(John Wayne)
;)

Considering that someone who is concerned about the future health of others including kids & dogs, might want to consider all of the other things that people do & would someone feel appropriate commenting to those others about what they are doing or about to do, as well...??
;)

Personally, if it appears to me to not be something that is extremely dangerous, nor involving friends or family, or co workers, etc., I generally leave things alone when folks are doing, or about to do, something that could cause them harm. I could give examples, but if one thinks about it one can come up with scenarios on their own. A good question to ask oneself might be, "How would "I" react to someone saying something about it to me?", before acting on it, if ya can.
;)

Not too far off from, "Do onto others, as you would have done onto you", I reckon...
;)

G'luck!
:)

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-27-2017, 01:03 AM
There is a local fellow I know, a boolit caster infact, he has lurked here [castboolits] as a guest (so he told me), but I don't believe he has ever registered here. Anyway, every time I've come to the range when he is there, he has his dog. The dog is well trained,sits by him while shooting, runs around loose when the shooting stops. I don't like having a loose pet at the range, I've never shot when he is is there with his dog. I've never said anything, because I get the gut-feel that he is not the kind of guy to listen to advice about his dog, so I just avoid the situation...if he is there with a loose dog, I just don't shoot til he leaves.

Hick
11-27-2017, 01:54 AM
last week I was at the local range when a family with two teen boys showed up to shoot. They had a 30-06. None of them had ear protection. BUT-- when the father fired the first round, both teen boys went to the restroom and got tissue paper and stuffed it in their ears! With all the loud music popular with teens it was nice to see they had the good sense to do what their father was not doing. Maybe there's hope for the younger generation yet.

WILCO
11-27-2017, 01:59 AM
I remember a time when folks just minded their own business.

smokeywolf
11-27-2017, 04:53 AM
I won't take Timber to the range. I won't go get in someone's face about it, but if it's negligent to expose a child to close-by shots without hearing protection, it's also negligent to expose an animal. Hunting is an exception, the exposure is very limited.

runfive, I really like the doggy earmuffs.

PS Paul
11-27-2017, 05:29 AM
World is full of idiots. Couldn't care much less 'bout most of them and ****ed if I'd say a single word to try "correct" any of the people you encountered. Or anybody else, for that matter.
I'm not cynical, I just understand there are lots of folk who don't deserve advice and fewer who want to accept unsolicited advice.

Now they have a deaf dog AND a stupid kid. Nobody's business but theirs......

lightman
11-27-2017, 06:42 AM
At a public range I might have offered them ear protection. Like JimB, I usually have extra. At a rock quarry or gravel pit in the rural I probably would have kept to my self and kept at least one eye on them.

white eagle
11-27-2017, 11:05 AM
unfortunately there is nothing you can do about
some people but there lack of preparedness will come back onto them

bedbugbilly
11-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Who owns the quarry where you shoot? Any way of getting with the owner, explaining your concerns and together, having a sign made as far as requirements to shoot there? i.e. - no hearing protection for all people present as well as animals = no shooting, etc. I know there are those who make a habit of ignoring signs and let's face it, there are a lot of just plain stupid people out there, but perhaps some sort of rules posted would at least help in a few cases.

smokeywolf
11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
I think the sign idea is good and a small percentage will heed what they read. The ones that ignore signs like that are the same ones who cut you off on the highway and then flip you off when you tap your horn at them. Those are the people who should be bomb testers or crash test dummies.

lucifers
11-27-2017, 12:14 PM

BRAVO, well said. Bad enough the lefty loons want to tell everyone what to do, let's not let it infect us (unless it's a danger to US !)

Lloyd Smale
11-27-2017, 12:52 PM
I agree. Even though I did do hearing damage to my dog by having him around the shooting bench to much. never crossed my mind till the damage was done. That said if someone would have said something to me about it I would have probably not so nicely told them to mind there own business. It isn't your kids or your dog. Complaining about it to others is just feeding the anti's!

JBinMN
11-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Might be a consideration that talking to the owner of the quarry about such things will lead to the whole place being posted as, "No Trespassing!", or the like, & then you, as well as others, are out another place to shoot.

I have seen that happen more than once around here...

May want to just, "Let sleeping dogs lie", in this situation & maybe consider finding something else to do, or just forget about it, than "stir the pot". Sometimes the best meant intentions end up with disastrous results.
Your trying to "fix" something, may lead to it getting broken or not work at all...

Again, G'Luck!

EMC45
11-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Saw it myself at the WMA in GA when I used to shoot there. One guy had 2 young kids out there and they were crying (grimacing and tears) due to the noise. Ridiculous

starmac
11-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Regulations at a rock quarry, I think I have done heard it all now.
I reckon I am with the mind your own business crowd.

I don't have a dog anymore, but at one time in the distance past had a squirrel dog or two, anytime I walked out of the house with a gun, they were rearing to go.

JimB..
11-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Who owns the quarry where you shoot? Any way of getting with the owner, explaining your concerns and together, having a sign made as far as requirements to shoot there? i.e. - no hearing protection for all people present as well as animals = no shooting, etc. I know there are those who make a habit of ignoring signs and let's face it, there are a lot of just plain stupid people out there, but perhaps some sort of rules posted would at least help in a few cases.

FIFY
Jim

Mr_Sheesh
11-27-2017, 05:11 PM
I know of at least 2 rock quarries where you aren't allowed on the place without a full insurance workup and signing a liability waiver - If you asked the owner at those places, they might be basically "forced" to close the place down as a range, insurance companies aren't very friendly to most fun behaviors such as shooting...

Eddie17
11-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately it only takes that one time for hearing loss!
I was as a young sprout, brought up on an Air Force base in Texas. Mom would roll me out to watch Dad fly out. No protection as nobody thought about it. Living with issues to this day.
I believe dogs put up with it to make their masters happy.
Eddie17

jeepyj
11-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Just my .02 if someone puts up a sign of any sort stating anything about shooting then the owner has then acknowledged that it is known there is shooting there and opens him or herself up to liability. I'm very carful to protect my shooting area by not bring attention or burdening the owner with problems that he wouldn't necessarily feel strongly about. My reasoning is if he just shuts it down then he doesn't have to worry about any problems. As far as shooting without hearing protection, our crowd generally has extra for the occasional visitor. Unfortunately the dog can't pick it's owner. Some folks just will never get it.

Minerat
11-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Go ahead and put up a sign. My guess is that it will attack some fool, who will have to shoot it full of holes to protect himself.

We see this on road signs all over the west. Rural Colorado has some of the deadliest signs in the lower 48 states I guess. TPFIC:Fire:

lucifers
11-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Go ahead and put up a sign. My guess is that it will attack some fool, who will have to shoot it full of holes to protect himself.

We see this on road signs all over the west. Rural Colorado has some of the deadliest signs in the lower 48 states I guess. TPFIC:Fire:

That's what happens when you legalize drugs and all the wackos from Kali move in. "Stoned and armed" ---- what a combo !

historicfirearms
11-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Mutt muffs! http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/mutt-muffs-dog-hearing-protection.html

My old boss used to fly with his golden retriever every day. That dog had more flight hours than most pilots.

RED BEAR
11-28-2017, 10:38 PM
As hank William's said mind your own business and you won't be minding mine. Its not your kid and not your dog !!! My god have liberals got even us thinking we know better and must run others life.

fatelk
11-28-2017, 11:49 PM
From a little different perspective: I was shooting with a friend once out on public land, and there was a family there shooting. The adults were shooting without hearing protection and the kids were plugging their ears with their fingers.

My friend got a little zip lock bag of earplugs out of his shooting bag and politely offered them. They gladly accepted and were very appreciative, said they had just never thought about using them while shooting!

Duckiller
11-29-2017, 01:15 AM
A long time ago far far away I started shooting without ear plug or any hearing protection. Not sure hearing protection was available back then. At least it wasn't in common use. I have 75 year old ears. If I can't hear it is more because of age than shooting. My dogs hunt without hearing protection. I have taken dogs shooting. My biggest concern was keeping them safely behind the firing line. Have and had dogs that hated the 4 of July. They get drugs on the Forth and don't go hunting or to the range. As soon as they fit my children wore ear"mops". As infants there was no hearing protection that fit them and wife wouldn't leave them home alone. They just stayed back from the firing line. Public ranges that I have been to require hearing protection , for people. Hunting dogs do not wear hearing protection, their owners want them to hear commands. I have had lots of hunting dogs and they have had no hearing problems. My biggest concern has been to make sure that they do not become gun shy.

WebMonkey
12-01-2017, 06:12 PM
4 shotguns shooting 2 or 3 shells each in concert every time a flight comes in or a covey is flushed.
Hunting scenario is not limited exposure.

reloader28
12-01-2017, 08:57 PM
No more hunting dogs I guess unless they have ear muffs.
Glad I'm not the only one thats noticed a huge jump in liberal thinking here in the last 2 or 3 years. If they aint bothering you, mind your own. You would get mad right now if they were butting into what your doing. You stick your nose into someones business around here and it will be cut right off just like it should be.