PDA

View Full Version : I was gonna keep it simple?

sawinredneck
11-25-2017, 01:24 AM
I really was, just buy a couple of molds, keep myself and my son going, no biggie at all, keep it simple!
I counted yesterday, I’m up to seven molds, that’s very close to the number of guns (including shotguns) I own!
Now my father just bought a “Blackfriday” .45ACP and thinks he wants me to reload and cast for it!
When does this madness/sickness stop?

JBinMN
11-25-2017, 02:20 AM
It doesn't...
;)

Just when ya think it has, & you are doing just fine with what ya have... Along comes the idea that ya should just get "just one more thing" that would be, "just the ticket."...

Reminds me of potato chips." Just one more...", or even having a beverage at the bar... "Just one more & then I'll go..." , but instead it is , "Just one more & then I have enough..."...

"Yeah, sure"...
LOL
:D

"My name is JB & I have an addiction..." Just change the name to yours, and repeat.
;)

dikman
11-25-2017, 04:55 AM
:lol::lol: Not much I can add to that masterful summation........

Grmps
11-25-2017, 05:10 AM
When you have seven molds for each caliber then you can start worrying (just a little about having to explain why you need them all) :bigsmyl2:

sawinredneck
11-25-2017, 06:04 AM
I’m so screwed!

rancher1913
11-25-2017, 06:14 AM
I have molds for calibers I don't own, just in case I ever get that caliber.

Bookworm
11-25-2017, 07:27 AM

That sounds familiar. I had some .41 Mag dies for years, got them in a forgotten trade . Didn't have a 41 Mag to reload for.
I kept them around, every once in a while I would look at them and wonder - "...now why is it I have these, with no 41Mag firearm?"

Then one day a 3-screw Ruger BH followed me home.....

hpdrifter
11-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Stage 1 CB contagion.

That sounds familiar. I had some .41 Mag dies for years, got them in a forgotten trade . Didn't have a 41 Mag to reload for.
I kept them around, every once in a while I would look at them and wonder - "...now why is it I have these, with no 41Mag firearm?"

Then one day a 3-screw Ruger BH followed me home.....

Stage 2 contagion

Grmps
11-25-2017, 07:35 AM
It's funny how that works, a piece of brass you pick up, someone letting you try their gun, something you get in a trade, a video you watch, something someone says can trigger the addiction and add to the need for a bigger/or another gun safe.

labradigger1
11-25-2017, 07:39 AM
It will end. One day you will have it all and then begin a new fixation.

ascast
11-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Start shopping for plywood,studs etc for that addition

ps heated floor is sooooo nice

sukivel
11-25-2017, 08:17 AM

Yep, many molds and dies I don’t have calibers for!

When I first started reloading I bought out a guy at an estate auction. Sold all of the casting stuff immediately because...why would I ever cast my own? 3 months later...

And so it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rancher1913
11-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Might be a borderline hoarder, had to renovate a grain bin into a reloading storage facility for all the brass and lead and hulls because all the barns are full of antique tractors and hit and miss motors

dverna
11-25-2017, 11:12 AM
It can be simple....if you have little money. For many years all I had was a 10 cavity H&G wadcutter mold and a Lyman single cavity .30 caliber mold.

Now I have molds I have never used. Many will be sold as I see little need for them as I reduce my gun collection and simplify my life.

jdfoxinc
11-25-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm gonna let my son sort it out.

blikseme300
11-25-2017, 11:36 AM
It always starts small. I started with a Lee reloader, a 2-cavity mold and a Lee pot and worked on the landing of an apartment Now it is a 2 car garage full of stuff related to guns and reloading.

It's not madness, it is therapy. I figure that a busy man can't get into too much trouble and the wife knows where I am.

Biggin
11-25-2017, 12:05 PM
It is some kind of addiction I think. I spend large amounts of time thinking about lead, brass primers and powder. And wondering how I can afford more. Is this normal? LOL!!!!

Jack Stanley
11-25-2017, 01:53 PM
It is some kind of addiction I think. I spend large amounts of time thinking about lead, brass primers and powder. And wondering how I can afford more. Is this normal? LOL!!!!

For us it's normal .

Jack

country gent
11-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Keep in mind, That's how this addiction works. Your doing good just buying moulds, you haven't started buyin firearms to expand you casting more yet. LOL... But as a consulation Just think of all the money your saving now. LOL

Smoke4320
11-25-2017, 03:05 PM
I really was, just buy a couple of molds, keep myself and my son going, no biggie at all, keep it simple!
I counted yesterday, I’m up to seven molds, that’s very close to the number of guns (including shotguns) I own!
Now my father just bought a “Blackfriday” .45ACP and thinks he wants me to reload and cast for it!

when you are dead

woodbutcher
11-25-2017, 03:14 PM
;) Sounds like a friend of mine in Florida.He`s a Savage nut.Has actions in the 06,.308 Win,and .223/5.56 size.Plus,he has bbls for each in jacketed AND cast projectiles.In the `06 size he has 06,6.5/06,7mm06,8mm06 and .35 Whelen.With bbls for jacketed and cast in each cal.PLUS molds for each.And you think you have a problem?And that`s before we even get to the other two sizes of actions.Good luck sir with this wonderful addiction.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

lightman
11-27-2017, 07:03 AM
I’m so screwed!

Yup, You are!:-P

Leslie Sapp
11-27-2017, 07:28 AM
It gets worse. I don't know how many molds I have, and now I'm starting to buy holsters and then go looking for guns that match them......

Budzilla 19
11-27-2017, 07:42 AM
I read all the posts here, and have yet to find fault with anything that has been said,,,, and all of it is the truth!!! (As I look out my window, lovingly,at approximately 1200lbs of ww in raw form, and wonder” do they have any more at that tire shop down the road? “) ................ gotta go to town, it’s daylight! Hahaha!! It will never end.

robg
11-27-2017, 07:43 AM
but your saving so much money`

Hootmix
11-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Hello,,my name's Hootmix,,I'm a mould addict,,It all started w/ just want'n to cast my own bullets for my 2 gun's,,.
Plan "A",,buy 1 mould,,a cheap "LEE" pot make a couple thousand bullet's.
Plan "B",,buy 2nd. mould ______________"___"_"_______"_______"___.
Plan "C",,UNplaned ,,A used,,Ballisti caster!!!! just put all those wire's back in it,,3-4 thousand bullet's a day,,a week at the most,,life time supply of bullet's!! OH ,my,,the wife say's ,,why did you bring "that thing" home( dumb question ) answer,,"cause ,,,they wouldn't bring it to me".
Soooo,,that's when "I knew",,I needed "HELP",,and here I be.
Wonder what time that tire shop open's ???

Later,,,,Hootmix.

Mr_Sheesh
11-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Some of you folks are talking like this is an affliction...

Try considering it as "I finally got sane." More comfortable anyways :drinks:

runfiverun
11-27-2017, 03:00 PM
there is a point in time when you'll quit.
it might be that one day when your looking for a particular mold for your 38 and you find you have 3 of the same mold number and 7 other molds in that caliber but only the one revolver.
it could be when you pull a drawer open, the bottom falls out, and you have nowhere to set the stuff until you fix the drawer.

gwpercle
11-27-2017, 03:43 PM
It doesn't stop ....if your lucky !
I started with a $9.99 Lee Classic Loader , plastic mallet and single cavity Lyman mould...thought that would be everything I could possibly need.
It just snowballs on you ...but it's fun !
50 years and still having enjoying it, and still buying stuff you "can't do without".
Gary

rmark
11-27-2017, 05:35 PM
'but your saving so much money'

still waiting for that, ha.

robg
11-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Cast for 3 calibers got 11 molds 1 for 45 round balls I don't have a 45 .I think I may need help.

labradigger1
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
there is a point in time when you'll quit.
it might be that one day when your looking for a particular mold for your 38 and you find you have 3 of the same mold number and 7 other molds in that caliber but only the one revolver.
it could be when you pull a drawer open, the bottom falls out, and you have nowhere to set the stuff until you fix the drawer.

Ha ha! Looks like I'm not alone on this. Goes hand in hand with post 10.

It will end. One day you will have it all and then begin a new fixation.

LenH
11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Sometimes you think you have enough molds and then you get that e-mail from NOE and they have a sale on molds. and then..................................

I started out with one mold, a double cavity Lyman 454-424, a Lee 4# pot and a Lyman ladle and a RCBS LAM lube sizer and a .452 die.
I had one revolver a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. That was 40+ years ago. Now I have 3 .45 colts and 7 molds of different bullets and that is just for .45 colt.
It never seems to end.

Walter Laich
11-28-2017, 01:31 PM

+1
plus round ball molds for guns I never plan on owning--just thought the spheres looked cool

Hootmix
11-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Well, Mr. Walter,,i happen to have a few of those rd. mould's ,,,how many ,,more do you need (want),, I don't have,,( own ) a gun for'm,,you don't happen to have a sling shot (lol) .

"Coffee's Ready" ,,,,Hootmix.

Mr_Sheesh
11-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Speaking of slingshots - If you haven't seen it, "The Slingshot Channel" on YouTube is (IMO) quite fun, German gent runs that and he makes custom stuff (sword launchers, etc.) - He's probably on all the lists, but he enjoys himself!

RogerDat
11-28-2017, 06:48 PM
And brass too! I'm just guessing but heck why have the mold without the brass and dies?

tazman
11-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Wait until you are at a gun show or similar and buy a box of molds and find that a number of them are for cartridges you don't own (currently).
The "extra" ones will haunt you until you break down and purchase guns and reloading equipment to go with them.

Mr_Sheesh
11-28-2017, 09:22 PM
One option is to find a friend who also reloads and trade them the dies/brass you don't need, for what they have that you need. De-stresses both of you, potentially. :)

DocSavage
11-28-2017, 09:49 PM
When I shed this mortal coil 2 friends are going to have fits dividing up mold blocks,dies,brass,cast bullets and other reloading paraphernalia I've amassed over the last 40 years.

sawinredneck
11-29-2017, 02:30 AM
Well I’ve got some 45acp brass and odds/ends bullets on the way. I’ve got a deal on a set of dies that I should be getting this weekend, and I think I’ve decided on a mold for it, today!
A buddy text me earlier tonight with a pic of the little Lee c-frame press, “Man, you need one of these, they are so handy!” I hated having to tell him another buddy is getting out of reloading and wants me to take all his stuff in, including a Lee o-frame press, but I just don’t have any more room right now!

Wayne Smith
11-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Let's see, I started reloading at 16 for my 16ga single barrel and my Dad's 30-30. I started casting probably 12 years ago - and am loading and casting for around 20 cartridges, including .41LC and 9.3x57 and 10.5x47 (designed that boolit on Mountain Molds site) and now, at 64, I just bought my first flintlock! Why would I want it to end???

lightman
11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
One option is to find a friend who also reloads and trade them the dies/brass you don't need, for what they have that you need. De-stresses both of you, potentially. :)

I do this with brass. I just can't resist picking up any case that I see laying around. I have a network of friends and we trade brass back and fourth. We don't even keep score, its more of a gifting type of deal. It seem odd but about the only things that none of us want are 7 MM Magnum and 270 Win! You can't hardly move those, even in the swapping and selling section!

Charliemac
11-29-2017, 12:18 PM
I’m so screwed!

No you're not, you are just getting started :bigsmyl2:

Budzilla 19
11-29-2017, 12:35 PM
light man, I know what ya mean about brass,,,, got a concealed carry class gun range that I clean up the brass for free!!!! Like I really need it! But, I’m like you about the network of people I know who reload! And I think the whole world shoots a 270 win or a 7 mag! It seriously never ends. Plus helping out new reloaders to get started. Yeah, I pick up brass, cause something that seems like an excess to me, might be just what it takes to help someone take the step to reload their own! And you never know what your kindness brings back to you! Not that return is EVER expected or wanted. Case in point, I’m helping a new reloader get started here in my hometown, in our conversation he asked if I needed any lead? Well, sure! He proceeds to put a 152 lb race car ballast in the truck bed! Said he was tired of mowing around the thing! You never know when or where! Keep it simple? Hahahaha!! Good luck on that!

kidmma
12-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Not one pic you jabronies?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=64792&uid=3520&d=1403158430

bbogue1
12-03-2017, 12:56 AM
I sort of limit myself to the calibers I have and the calibers I am teaching others to reload , they can't afford to buy much in the beginning so I scrounge to help them out. I figure after they are doing well I will give the tools to them. That way al they have to cover is the press of their choice and a few incidentals. However one young man I am teaching just sold his 45 to buy a 9mm like mine, so, now I have mold, dies and a few cases of 45 caliber. I don't own a 45, and now I have this stuff to get rid of.............. or ............ let's see hooow can I make money to buy my own 45? after all I have all the other stuff, and maybe I should get another mold just in case and well of course that means I need a..................

Wild Bill 7
01-12-2018, 11:33 PM
I know I'm a little late to this thread but, I have the bug also. Don't know how to stop either and don't want to either. This past summer I bought some stuff from a member who lives just up the road. I drove up and we chatted some and while I was picking up my stuff I bought a set of RCBS cowboy dies for 45 Long Colt. I don't even have a Long Colt. Then some one left some brass at the range (60 pieces) and now A RBH in in the works. It is sweet to have such a great hobby. :bigsmyl2:

OeldeWolf
01-12-2018, 11:57 PM
I started out by buying a pair of 1860 Colt replicas with a bonus I earned at work. I could not afford to buy ammo for the .22 of the Argentine Mauser. A Lee dc mould, and a Lee 10# production pot. Then a capper, and a powder flask. Got some scrap lead and wheel weights.

That was over 20 yrs ago.

Hi, my name is OeldeWolf. I have an addiction ....

parkerhale1200
01-28-2018, 06:15 AM
I have 28 moulds by now for 6 calibers, do i need to see a doctor?
3 lubisizers, 14 sizers, am i sick? do i need help?

sawinredneck
01-28-2018, 09:03 AM
I have 28 moulds by now for 6 calibers, do i need to see a doctor?
3 lubisizers, 14 sizers, am i sick? do i need help?
Nope, you are right in line and doing fine!
(Those judging are just jealous, don’t worry!)

Mr_Sheesh
01-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Yes, you do need to see a Dr.; Should have more molds'n that :P Maybe another caliber or too, also LOL

Tenbender
01-29-2018, 05:00 PM

When you dieing or dead ?

sawinredneck
01-29-2018, 05:03 PM
When you dieing or dead ?

Then your wife gives it away for pennies on the dollar!

Walter Laich
01-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Some people will tell us we suffer from this . . .

in truth, we love every minute

BD
01-30-2018, 09:15 PM
I think it's more of a bell curve. You start with one gun that you shoot a lot and need to cast for so you can afford to shoot it. Then over time you gradually start to cast for every gun you own, and buy more guns, and cast for them, and you're working and have some money so you buy more molds for each to try, and on and on until one day you realize that 90% of your shooting is one or two guns, so you start cutting down on the extra molds for other guns, than one day you realize you don't really need to have 15 different molds for the .45 acp, and then you retire, and no longer have that ready money, and once again you have one gun that you shoot a lot and you need to cast so you can afford to shoot it....

RED BEAR
01-30-2018, 10:41 PM
Started out thinking one mold per caliber. Now have at least three per cal and some calibers as many as 10. Never thought it would go this far but I truly got the bug. Every time a new mold comes wife just gives me the look and shakes her head.

parkerhale1200
02-18-2018, 10:04 AM
I think/know for sure.....BD hits the nail on the head.....really hard:bigsmyl2:

Jack Stanley
02-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Then someone gives to a big can of casings for a gun you don't own and you buy a gun to go with them ..........

Jack

Bama
02-18-2018, 06:36 PM
When you have seven molds for each caliber then you can start worrying (just a little about having to explain why you need them all) :bigsmyl2:

And just what is wrong with seven molds for one caliber--always have a backup- - - now when you get up to 14, you may have a problem- - like how to store them!

tankgunner59
02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
When I was still working I bought all the basic equipment I neeeeded. Since then I have bought a little more as money permits. But I still notice everything I could use/calibers I want. And I am always looking for brass, anything I can't use I trade/sell. The wife is also addicted to shooting so she looks for the brass too. But due to limited funds financing new purchases is a creative matter.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-19-2018, 10:39 PM
I tell everyone to not join the mould a month club, like me. Ya, I’ve got an addiction to an abundance of moulds.

Moonie
02-20-2018, 02:48 PM
That darn group buy section is killing me lol. Just when I don't think I need anything something comes up in there I just can't live without, just paid an invoice for a new Mihec mold 700gr .501, yea, that isn't just going to hurt the bank account lol.

robg
02-24-2018, 05:06 PM
I'm OK then �� I'm normal.

Leslie Sapp
02-24-2018, 05:19 PM
I'm normal.

Probably, but you must bear in mind that normal for this board and normal for the rest of the world is not necessarily the same thing. :bigsmyl2:

robg
02-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Probably, but you must bear in mind that normal for this board and normal for the rest of the world is not necessarily the same thing. :bigsmyl2:

I think you may be right even in my club I get strange looks for using my own cast boolits in my 308 ��