PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet

crabo
08-17-2008, 02:29 PM
It seems like after having both of my knees replaced, that my feet get cold a lot easier. When I had my physical last week, I asked the doc if it was a result of the surgery, or if I was just getting old. He said I was just getting old, (56), and not due to lack of circulation.

I am going to go hunting in North Dakota, which is a lot colder than Dallas. The last time I went my feet got cold, but it wasn't too big of a problem.

Any recommendations for keeping my feet warm? Do the electric socks work? I don't want the booties that you can put over your boots. I will be doing a mixture of walking and sitting. I have to keep gear weight to a minimum because I am flying.

Thanks,

Pepe Ray
08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
First and foremost--DRY SOCKS
Other wise , when your going to set, be sure to have something to put your feet on ABOVE the ground. Booties are the best but otherwise anything to keep them up. Don't expect miracles.
Will post credentials if necessary.
Pepe Ray

MT Gianni
08-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Keep your hands warm especially the backs and the back of your neck and top of your head. Heat loss in those places, where blood flow is close to the skin, will help warm blood get to your extremeties. Gianni

1Shirt
08-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Dry socks, change every 2-3 hours. Carry bread wrappers and use if all else fails over your socks. Sounds goofy, but it keeps the feet warm from experiance.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mooman76
08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
You could get some of those boots with the Thisulate in them. Get them a size too big so they have room for good heavy socks, wool if you can where them. Also get some of those felt pads for the bottom of your boots. Sometimes a couple layers. Allot of the cold comes through the bottom of your boots.

PatMarlin
08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
My feet have gotten colder when sitting as I get older also. Now I wear socks to bed, even in the summer.

One thing though it goes right away with movement, so I think it would have to be circulation? Maybe my ticker doesn't have the spark it did.

Can't be too bad of shape, cause I kept up with 2 guys- one 8 years and the other 20 years younger than I with some serious physical labor for the past 2months and My heart felt as strong as it always has.

missionary5155
08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello Crabo Hey I hear ya .. 57 1/2 and climbing ! I wear socks to bed now.....
All the previous info is good ! When it gets real cold I put chemical hand warmers in my 800 gram Thinsulate boots between socks for my tree stand... works great for 5 hours.

adkpete
08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
This may seem strange but we tell our Boy Scouts before any winter trip "If your feet are cold, put a hat on" It has been proven that you lose the most heat from your head. No cotton clothes, wool or any of the new fabrics work well also.

PatMarlin
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Nuttin' strange about that. I always wear real warm headgear in the cold.

waksupi
08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
It took me a lot of years to figure it out, but finally determined my feet were set up for being cold, before I got out of my vehicle.
Get in the truck, turn on the heater, and feet were sweating before I even started hunting. So now, I wear light mocassins, heater on low, or off, and layer up the feet when I arrive at my destination.

Doc Highwall
08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
You could always turn into a temperature hunter like me. When the temperature out side reaches your age you go out, and each year it is one degree warmer.

beemer
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I always keep a wool scarf around my neck. Learned that one riding a motorcycle in cold weather.

beemer

leadman
08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I had the old "Mickey Mouse" boots when I was in Michigan. Worked great. I think the Sportsman's Guide still sells them. Buy them large.
One time I broke thru the ice into shallow water. The boots filled up, but within minutes my feet were warm as toast again. The chemical packs made to go in the boots do work real well, but don't last but a couple hours. Buy plenty.

PatMarlin
08-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I still have my mickey mouse boots. They are the best. I keep a pair for my wife and I in our emergency winter snow ditch bags in the trucks.

bullshot
08-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I had the same problem sitting while hunting or at the rifle range standing on concrete. I bought a pair if boots with 1400 gms thinsulate. Don't have the problem anymore and there doesn't seem to be a problem with sweating while walking. FWIW.

Southern Son
08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Jeez I'm glad I live in Queensland, I don't think that anyone has ever froze to death here, so far this winter we have had maybe 2 frosts. Mind you, in summer we get the opposite problem, fools go a wandering without enough water and a good hat and way out west, they are usually dead before nightfall.

PatMarlin
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I had the same problem sitting while hunting or at the rifle range standing on concrete. I bought a pair if boots with 1400 gms thinsulate. Don't have the problem anymore and there doesn't seem to be a problem with sweating while walking. FWIW.

That's interseting as I bought Cabelas Outfitters brand leather 10" hunting boots, and figured 400 grms of thinsulate would be plenty for cold up here.

As it turned out I wear those 400 for daily work they are so comfortable, even in the heat. I think I need to buy the 800 or higher for winter hunting.

Ricochet
08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Lots of folks are on beta blockers (like metoprolol or atenolol) for various reasons. Cold feet and fingers are a common side effect.

Doc Highwall
08-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a pair of the mickey mouse boots also and they work great except they are hard to walk in for long distances. I also bought a pair of LaCross 1200 gram thinsulate that come up to my knees and they are good for walking long distances, just a little hard to take off at the end of the day. My opinion is buy the warmest boots that you can wear comfortably, as you get warmer from walking you can always open your coat to cool off and when you have been sitting for any length of time and start to cool off you will appreciate the warm feet.

August
08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I use electric gear on the MC and it works great!! I like those little chemical packets that give off heat also. The chemical packets work well for about 6-8 hours and are usually on sale in the Fall at Sportsman's Warehouse and elsewhere. I have some skiing mittens that have special pockets for the heater packets and they are unobtrusive inside my shoes. (the packets, not the mittens)

PatMarlin
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
What are electric gear MC's?

I just checked at cabelas and they have the same Outfitter Series boots in 2000 grm. Now that autta be good for cold. I can't emagine my feet being to warm out there in the snow and cold.

Mickey's are only good for sitting, but they are so darn good.

cajun shooter
08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Know what you mean as I'm 61 and climbing.When I was a kid I use to wonder why my grand father always had on so many clothes. Ha Ha!! Thinsulate boots in the 1200 gram range and as you live in the Dallas area go to a ski shop. They sell a sock with silver threads thats worn as a undersock. I've been wearing them for years for MC riding and trips anywhere north of Louisiana.

Ricochet
08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Some folks as they get old just can't keep warm. You know you've visited some and they had the heat blazing and a fire roaring in the fireplace in August.

That happened to King David in his twilight years. His advisers decided to have a contest to find the prettiest young virgin in the country to sleep with him and keep him warm. (Her name was Abishag.) You might suggest that approach to your S.O. and see how it flies.

carpetman
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
All my life my feet and hands have gotten cold easily. It got worse as I aged and worse after my heart attack and being put on atenolol. I too sleep in socks even in summer. I wear socks 24x7 and dont wear slippers indoors. Despite all the wear--a pair of Thorlo socks lasts me years. They make several styles to include wool blends and I have tried and like most of them. They cost more,but well worth it and for the service you get out of them they are CHEAP. The rubber boots with felt liners do keep my feet warm.. I dont wear them here but I do in colder climates. The most comfortable boot/shoe that I have found are made by Whites boots. Their most famous boot is their Whites smoke jumper which about 100% of forrest firefighters will wear nothing else. I have a welder friend that works in the oil fields and he was going through about 4 pairs of Red Wings per year. He bought Whites and wore them over a year and then had them rebuilt. They come back from rebuild looking new and it's about 50% of buying a new pair. They are made to be 100% rebuildable. They make insulated boots which I have no experience nor reports about. The welder is ordering a pair for this winter. He too says he will not buy anything else---same with the Thorlo socks. Whites are not the best about sending a catalog but you can go to www.whitesboots.com and order one and also give them a toll free call and request one and MAYBE get one. You don't buy Whites off the shelf you have to trace your foot and provide measurements and it takes about 6 weeks for them to make them. Their catalog and web site gives this info. Ive had a pair of their Hikers since 2002 and wore them most everyday until a couple years ago when I bought a pair of their shoes and now rotate between them. The hikers still look new. They are stiff when you first get them but break in fairly fast and are the most comfortable Ive footwear I've had. I knew a lot of sheephunters in Alaska that wore them. I know Art Scrounger will rush to buy some if he thinks it will help him find a sheep.

PatMarlin
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
We all know about Art's sheep fixation. He's really Art Bell of area 51 don'tchaknow... :mrgreen:

You can buy whites off the shelf up here Ray, but weez in forest land that burns, and is burning as we speak. Everyone here is a smoke jumper.

My wife even has a pair, but the reason I don't is I need the insulation for winter.

PatMarlin
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't tell Art I siad that though cause he gets mad when I bring it up.. :mrgreen:

08-18-2008, 01:53 PM
# 5 or 6 or whatever it is on the Mickey Mouse boots. Fantastic. If you don't get those (and they need to be dried every night) wear generous boots that allow for good air flow around the foot with bulky socks. Tight boots / thin socks don't allow for insulation for the foot. High tread away from the ground keeps you from standing on "ice cubes" all day. Also, there are "booties" that fit over the foot/boot while you are wearing the boot. Kind of like sleeping bags for the foot. You take them off to walk and put them on when you are going to be in a stand for a period of time. When I'm in the cold hunt mode, I use a homemade tube with suspenders to keep me warm all over. To wit: I took and old wool blanket, quilted a camo fabrick to it and stitched it along one side. That left me with a open ended tube on each end. Stitched a pair of old suspenders to one end so the tube would hang around me down past my feet. Yeah I know this is sounding rediculous, but I leave it in the truck for emergencies and take it hunting when the weather calls for it. If I have to hike long distances, I can roll it like a bed roll or if I only have to do a mile or two, I put it on and hike up the bottom of the "skirt" and tie it around my middle. Legs are free to walk unemcombered. When I sit, I just drop the tie and it hangs down over the legs / feet and keeps me warm like I'm in a sleeping bag. Made it loose enough to make movement easy within. Cuts the wind, holds my scent, and generates a draft of warm air from all my body heat right into my jacket. My friends are used to my unconventional ways and inability to be embarassed, but I've noticed that they come in before I do when it's cold.

yeahbub
08-18-2008, 03:11 PM
crabo, I had cold feet until my late twenties in spite of a great deal of outdoor activities. The most satisfactory arrangement I found was two pairs of socks (cotton on my skin, poofy-thick wool over that) and waterproof boots snug enough to provide sure footing, but not so tight as to compromise circulation. The cotton will wick moisture away from your skin and the wool will insulate even if damp with persiration. I never had much luck with synthetic fabrics, but I can't claim to have given them much of a test either. What others have said about felt pads/booties inside your boots, keeping your feet off the cold ground when at rest and/or putting on outside insulation is good and mirrors my experience. It's always been better to keep the heat I worked up getting there than trying to replace it because I didn't bring the necessary protection. I haven't tried the handwarmer arrangement yet, but as long as it doesn't get too hot for comfort, I'll bet it would work well. Electric socks work, but the only advantage they have is being able to turn them on or off at will - my feet were too warm with them on and didn't hold the heat well enough when off, so I don't use them. These days, for sitting, I like to have a pair of pacs with the felt booties inside. They're comfortable enough to hike around in and hold the heat well enough for a temporary stop. I still bring a flat 2" closed-cell foam hot seat to put on the ground to stand on, though. Good luck on your trip. Shoot a big one.

bullshot
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Ricochet
I always learn something here. I've taken Metoprolol for years but didn't know cold extremities was a side effect. Thought just getting old.

pumpguy
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I think Waksupi has the best plan. The only time my feet have ever gotten cold is when they sweat. You used to be able to buy really thin polypropelene liners that would pull the sweat away. Those liners, a pair of dry cottons socks and them a pair of wool or insulated socks always has worked for me. Those packets, it seems to me, would make your feet sweat and consequently cold as soon as they wear out.

C1PNR
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
For hunting in the cold, high altitudes of Colorado I wear silk liners, thick, 90% or more wool socks, and felt liners inside my Sorels. I always take an extra pair of felt liners, plus the extras of socks, etc. And I use a Peet boot dryer at night to gently dry the boots, putting the felt from yesterday on the Peet before leaving in the morning.

Oh, and heavy wool, one piece long johns. Heavy Woolrich trousers, worn outside the boots to keep the snow off. Sometimes I even wear a set of silk long johns under the wool, if it's really cold and nasty. Used GI wool watch cap and glove liners, too.

I also wear a well insulated LL Bean hooded parka, with gore-tex, that helps a lot in inclement weather.

I was usually the last one to show up at the warming fire, even after sitting through a snow storm.

Good luck on your hunt!

And a + 1 for the White boots, if you're looking for really good leather boots.

Ricochet
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Ricochet
I always learn something here. I've taken Metoprolol for years but didn't know cold extremities was a side effect. Thought just getting old.It can always be that, too. :mrgreen:

gon2shoot
08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Sounds like youve been given most of the info you need, let me make one suggestion. Brandy and coffee.
Right after deer season, get yourself some coffee and brandy, prop yer feet up by the fire and stay there till spring.

I always have cold feet and hands, keeping the core warm helps the extremities, but then there's always the brandy.:-D

carpetman
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
ricochet---hey doc can you write me an Rx for some abishag?

longhorn
08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Electric socks work OK if you're just standing around, as at a winter rifle match, not much for actually walking in. The polypropylene liners plus wool socks are for walking in; I wore out numerous Thorlos while scouting, they're OK, I prefer Bridgedale liners and wools. I'm on my feet 10 hours a day, and I wear Bridgedale liners plus wool socks every day. The wicking liner makes them plenty comfy in the summer, too. Look for 'em at a backpacking place.

testhop
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
i agree with AUGUST on the chemical packs in my pack use as needed
another thing i do is use good boots i like ROCKY SUPER BOOTS I line the bottom with the
foem that comes from the meat dept just cut them to fit the boot
another trick is to breath fast to speed up blood flow (I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY OR IT IS
ALL IN MY MIND)

MT Gianni
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Some folks as they get old just can't keep warm. You know you've visited some and they had the heat blazing and a fire roaring in the fireplace in August.

That happened to King David in his twilight years. His advisers decided to have a contest to find the prettiest young virgin in the country to sleep with him and keep him warm. (Her name was Abishag.) You might suggest that approach to your S.O. and see how it flies.

I always figured she was a big ole gal too. Had to be to keep him warm. Gianni

kodiak1
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
DRY WOOL Socks and change often if you sweat bad (the feet that is).

If you were like the kids around here even in the winter they roam around in sneakers 90% of the time.

Good Luck Ken.

uncle joe
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I know it ain't North Dakota but MS gets nasty cold and wet. My feet have always been cold when hunting, I'm good for about 3 hours then they are like a cold brick. Until I bought some LaCross rubber boots. These boots give my feet plenty of room to move around, and you can also wear thick socks. Best 60 bucks I ever spent on hunting boots. They also have a layer of thinsulate, but I don't know how much that helps. I think the room to move helps more than anything. Good luck
JE

crabo
08-19-2008, 12:31 AM
One thing I am trying to do is keep the cost of the hunt from getting too high. It looks like it will cost an extra $80 each way to take my rifle. My brother in law has guns I could borrow, but I hate to shoot someone else's gun and expect it to be right on. I then think, would I pay an extra $160 to make a shot on a huge buck? Yeah, but I need new boots and some new clothes, so where do you draw the line?....... guess I need to sell some more stuff

Pepe Ray
08-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Crabo;
Clear this up please. Your paying $160 extra because your flying . right?
Why not UPS the rifle ahead and return. Cant believe it would be as expensive. It's not as tho it would be better protected on the plane.
Pepe Ray

crabo
08-19-2008, 02:16 AM
I did not think you could ship a rifle to yourself.

Doc Highwall
08-22-2008, 10:35 PM
When I change my socks I make shure that I have already ate my lunch so I don't get that fresh cheese smell when I am eating.

ktw
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a pair of the mickey mouse boots also and they work great except they are hard to walk in for long distances.

Up here in big snow country these (http://shop.mukluks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AR-R&title=Arctic%20with%20Ribbon%20Mukluks) are the cat's meow for cold-dry snow conditions once you snowseal the leather portions and scotch guard the canvas parts; lightweight, warm and comfortable.

-ktw

crabo
08-23-2008, 12:25 AM
What exactly are Mickey Mouse boots? Texas boy doesn't know. Are those the same as the army bunny boots?

08-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Mickey Mouse boots are the air bladder type. There is an air valve on one side of each ankle to adjust for altitude. Keeps the foot surounded by an air space that truely insulates. Rubber through and through and as warm as you'll ever need. They really are superior.

LIMPINGJ
08-23-2008, 08:56 AM
crabo I feel your pain, I have the same trouble keeping mine warm. All the above are good ideas the only thing I can add is for walking I have found the Schnees brand of pacs the most comfortable for walking and they are from MT so they know cold. Also watch for the heat packs to be on sale after hunting season and stock up for the next year.