PDA

View Full Version : lubesizer maybe

Harpman
08-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I need some internet bygod advice here fellas...Here is my situation...I been casting for 9mm using the lee tumble lube and am having to wipe every bit of lube off the finished bullets to prevent jamming...couple questions, I already pan lube for 45/70, wondering how these tiny lil baby bullets do pan lubing, or would it be easier to just get a lube sizer, if so, which darn one ?...I been reading mixed reviews, and you never know if the review is for large rifle bullets or small pistol bullets being sized..[smilie=1:

carpetman
08-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Harpman---My experience with lubersizers is limited to Lyman and RCBS. Basically they are the same--the dies and top punches even interchange. Operation is the same principle. The RCBS costs a little more, but their fine customer service easily makes up that difference. With both the lube is fed by pressure and there is a difference . The Lyman uses a ratchet and newer RCBS uses a toggle device. (older RCBS used a ratchet and I much prefer the ratchet) The newer RCBS can be converted to ratchet but it's not just a swap part deal. It requires getting a new bolt and machining a hex on it to fit the ratchet (This is not the same hex as used in witchcraft). It is a pretty simple process for someone with milling machine. I think it could be crudely done with hacksaw and file even. Ive used both Lyman and Rcbs from .22 cal to 45's but have no experience with other brands.

Harpman
08-17-2008, 01:40 PM
was just reading the midway reviews, looks like the saeco is pretty good...just not sure whats easier, I will do like 300 bullets at a time, panlube or sizer..my lube is pretty soft so I may not need a heater.
also if I get a sizer, what all do I also need per caliber.

Springfield
08-17-2008, 01:43 PM
It would be much easier lubing with a lubrisizer compared to pan lubing. Plus the small lube grooves on 9mm are tough to keep lube in compared to the bigger 45-70. I prefer Star sizers. If you shoot more thatn 500 9MM a month it wold be worth the extra expense, otherwise a Lyman or RCBS would be OK. Depends on whether you have more time or money. I have small kids so I don't have much of either but I went with the Star, better use of my time, I figured. And they last forever. I always tell people, if you are reloading on a single stage press, buy a Lyman/RCBS. If you are using a progressive, buy the Star. It's that kind of difference.

mooman76
08-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Of coarse getting a lube sizer would be easier but you have to deside is it worth it to me. Money wise and more equipment to deal with and do I shoot enough to warrent all this. The only experience I have with a lube sizer other than Lee is the Lyman. It works fine for me and I believe works basically like the RCBS but that is just a guess. The Lyman is cheaper and you can pick up a good used one for not too much.
On the other hand you could try JPW instead of LLA. It is less messy and less sticky and from my limited experience seems to work about the same. Another oftion with the LLA. A little more work but n your case probubly less in the long run is to lube your bullets with LLA by placing a small amount of LLA spead out on wax pasper or such. Roll your bullets through the LLa with a straight edge like a ruler or somthing and pick up your bullets and set them down on something to dry. This will keep the front part of your bullet clean.
If you still want to pan lube I see no reason why it wouldn't work with small bullets as well as large.
If you use a soft lube you can get by without a heater or if you find you need one you can heat up the press with a hair drier or there are other options. It really doesn't take much heat to get even hard lubes to flow.

HeavyMetal
08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Harpman:

I've had all the lube sizer's on the market ( at least those made since the 60's) and the Star is hands down the best for production needs.

If your loading a lot of 9 especilly single lube groove bevel base boolits the Star is the investment to make!

If time is not an issue and you don't mind a little more work then go with the Saeco!

Yes it uses propriatary dies, just like the Star, but it's that much more accurate than a Lyman or RCBS!

Here's something to think about: while your sizing one boolit with any of the other three sizers I will have lubed and sized 30 on my Star!

Harpman
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
great advice gents, I didnt even know about the "star" sizer...

carpetman
08-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Harpman---I have never used a lube heater, to include while I was in Alaska. You need heater if using hard lubes which I have not done. For Lyman/RCBS you need a top punch for each style of bullet. Top punch fits into the top of the press and is what pushes the bullet into the sizer thus it is shaped like the nose of the bullet. You also need the sizing die which of all things and as weird as it sounds is the size you want the bullet to be. Bullet is pushed into this and is sized and it also has lube holes and while in the sizer, pressure is exerted onto the lube which forces it into the grooves of the bullet. While bullet is in the sizer and force being applied to the lube---you need to hold some pressure on the bullet or you get lube on the base of the bullet.

cbrick
08-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Depending on your budget the Star is the way to go for more than just speed, they are more expensive. Nose first sizing in the star means zero deformed bullet noses, only one punch per caliber not per each bullet. But the biggest reason for the Star is that it sizes bullets more concentric than base first sizers.

Check out the Star here: Magma Eng. (http://www.magmaengr.com/)

Rick

chaos
08-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I have a lyman and have seen the RCBS. Like stated above, they are pretty much the same beast. The RCBS unit appears to be the more solidly made of the two. The handle snapped off of my lyman within two weeks of getting it. They did sent me the replacement part rather promptly and free of charge. If I had it over to do again, I'd get the RCBS.

For soft lubes like Felix or Javelina, a heater is not needed.

beagle
08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I've had two Stars, two Lyman #45s, four Lyman #450s, a Saeco, a RCBS and have pan lubed.

Right now, I have a RCBS and three Lyman #450s. The Lyman 450 gets all the use.

Interchangeability and availability of des and TPs are a great plus with Lyman and RCBS. Saeco and Star dies are not as easily available. Saeco TPs don't interchange with anything.

I'm recommending a Lyman #450. Pretty easily bought second hand on E-Bone...... If you want to do only 9mm and lots of it, get a Star but if you change calibers, go with the Lyman./beagle

Echo
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Never having used the Lee system, I can't comment, other than say many folks on this board use and recommend it. I have a Star, and use it exclusively for PB pistol boollits. I also have two RCBS lube/sizers that I use for rifle boolits and GC pistol boolits. The Lyman's are a little cheaper on Ebay, typically going for 60-80 bucks delivered, the RCBS going for maybe 10 bucks more. Beats the heck out of the 179.95 or whatever they cost new. You will need a sizing die (slug your bore and get one that throws up to a thousandth larger (IF IT WILL CHAMBER!), and they are available on ebay, also. Or check with folks on this board. Should be able to come up with a system, including dies and nose punch, for ~100 bucks, maybe less.

cbrick
08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Star dies are not as easily available.

???

I've never had a problem getting ANY Star die I needed including custom diameters. Make a phone call and a few days later ya have your die.

Not easily available???

Rick

Harpman
08-17-2008, 03:58 PM
man you guys are addicts to the max, GREAT !....:-D...where can I find a top punch and sizing die chart for the Lyman's ?...I went to the Lyman site and didn't see top punch chart....

Wayne Smith
08-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Top punch #'s are listed with the molds. Lyman and RCBS do it the same. Lee assumes you use their system and doesn't provide mold numbers. I believe somebody is making up a Lee list, and it may be on Castpics. I haven't checked. Most of what I shoot are or can be flat point boolits and so I use a cut off brass bolt that I filed to size - a flat top punch. I've used it with round nose boolits and got only a slight flat. This is in both Lyman and RCBS lube sizers.

GabbyM
08-17-2008, 11:23 PM
where can I find a top punch and sizing die chart for the Lyman's ?...I went to the Lyman site and didn't see top punch chart....

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

That's all current production Lyman rifle molds. click the drop down menu on your bullet to see punch #. Pistol molds are on a separate page.