PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Rebate

alamogunr
11-23-2017, 01:22 AM
I just got an email from Palmetto offering a Savage Axis II XP .308 Heavy Barrel Rifle for $300. Couple that with a rebate of $100, it is an almost unbeatable deal.

I don't hunt but I do like bolt action rifles. The only .308 I have is a Remington 788. Would this make a good cast boolit rifle?

I almost forgot, it has a Weaver 3X9 scope.

charlie b
11-23-2017, 08:39 AM
I have one in .223 heavy barrel. Shoots really well. Only down to 1" groups on a regular basis so far. Have had a couple groups in the 3/4" range but that is getting more to my shooting than what the rifle does. Don't know if I can shoot better than 3/4". (I shoot 5 or 10 round groups)

FWIW, differences in ammo is huge. Bulk ammo does 3-4". Match ammo is 1" or less.

Don't shoot cast in it but no reason why it would not work.

FYI, you may need to do something like fire lapping to get the rough machine marks smoothed before you shoot cast. Check the barrel and see how rough it is.

Forrest r
11-23-2017, 11:07 AM
I have one in .223 heavy barrel. Shoots really well. Only down to 1" groups on a regular basis so far. Have had a couple groups in the 3/4" range but that is getting more to my shooting than what the rifle does. Don't know if I can shoot better than 3/4". (I shoot 5 or 10 round groups)

FWIW, differences in ammo is huge. Bulk ammo does 3-4". Match ammo is 1" or less.

Don't shoot cast in it but no reason why it would not work.

FYI, you may need to do something like fire lapping to get the rough machine marks smoothed before you shoot cast. Check the barrel and see how rough it is.

Have the same rifle/223hb. Bought it to see if a cheap rifle ($321 with tax - $50 rebate - $50/sold scope that came with it ='s $221 total). Didn't alter anything, heck never even adjusted the trigger on it. Tested home made bullets made from free 22lr jackets/free range lead cores and free mixed headstamed brass. Cheap rifle/cheap (free) bullets/free mixed brass. That cheap rifle will easily do moa with loads it likes and the free bullets/brass. Never even bothered to replace of stiffen the flimsy factory stock.

I bought a savage axis in 308 with a standard bbl a couple of years ago. Haven't done anything with it yet other then get the rebate and sell the scope. Still undecided to selling the bbl/bbl nut/stock and using the receiver/bolt/mag for a build. Or stiffen the stock and keep original. Almost bought a hb axis but went with the pencil bbl instead. The only reason I went with the pencil bbl was because I already had a heavy bbl'd 308 puma rifle.

That hb 308 will shoot cast and is 1 heck of a rifle for the $$$. But it will be no better than what you already have. Those 788's have an excellent bbl/receiver strength do to the locking lugs being on the back of the bolt. The axis rifles are cheap enough for a all weather beater or to experiment with. If you truly want a cast bullet shooter that 308 axis is the place to start.

What I did with the 308 puma rifle/bbl swaps/testing:
1 in 10 twist full blown match chamber .332 neck varmint contour 24"
1 in 10 twist standard chamber 22" bull bbl
1 in 11 twist custom chamber (175smk) varmint contour 25"
The latest bbl I just put on and haven't had time to test yet is a 1 in 14 twist .340 match chamber varmint contour 30"
Planned on buying another bbl after I test the bbl listed above. It depends on how well it does. Was thinking about buying the same bbl/chamber. But instead of having the ball throat and leade cut in it, send them a 3/4* throat reamer and have the cut a 3/4* leade at the end of the .340' chamber. Hence no freebore/ball throat and a softer leade angle. I already made a 3/4* bump die that's adjustable so the step (chamber ends .340") and the 300/308 bbl begins can be moved up and down the bullet. The arrow shows the "step" in the bullet and the 3/4* bullet nose.
https://i.imgur.com/NzT7Yz8.jpg

Why all this???
Because you can either enjoy the rifle as is, or the rifles are cheap enough $350 to your door - $100 rebate ='s $250. You can easily sell the scope for $50 and the new stock/bbl/bbl nut combo for $100 to $150. That means you have $50 to $100 in a build. Get a boyds stock for $200, a heavy bbl nut/tang for $40 and a custom bbl with the twist/chamber you want from shilen for $300. For $650 you'll end up with 1 heck of a cast bullet shooter.

BlackIce05
11-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Just to throw another cheap option out there, T/C has rebates on their compass rifles, coupled with sales at various places, I picked one up for just under $200 that does 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.