PDA

View Full Version : .375 H&H - Choices, choices... decisions, decisions

obssd1958
11-21-2017, 07:39 PM
So, I'm back to chasing down a .375 H&H to satisfy my Jones - shouldn't have sold the Weatherby...

I've been looking for a used rifle, already chambered for .375 H&H, but no luck so far. Gunbroker and the common retailers aren't helping me much either, since everything I've found there has been very expensive (my opinion!).

The alternatives I'm considering are these:
I have a Savage 110 that was originally chambered in .300 Win Mag, that I have been swapping barrels on. So maybe just find a new barrel for it.
or...
I have a sporterized 1917 in 30-06, that is an okay shooter (2 inches at 100yds, with most ammo) that I could have rebarreled, or bored and chambered by Jesse O.

I'm looking for any and all input for the journey, so what do you all (or y'all :) ) think??

vzerone
11-21-2017, 07:50 PM
A barrel for that Savage 110 sounds like the cheapest route to go. You opposed to a new CZ in 375?

dragon813gt
11-21-2017, 08:12 PM
You're not going to find any "cheap" rifles chambered in it. Used ones hold their value because of the round. It's a cartridge where you have to pay to play. The rifle is going to be the cheap part of the equation over time. It eats up a lot of powder in a hurry.

Good Cheer
11-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Do not rechamber a 2nd hand .375 Winchester No.3 Ruger.
It'll shoot great but the recoil is way over the top.:-P

kens
11-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Ruger #1H Tropical.
you want it?

obssd1958
11-22-2017, 01:07 AM
"You opposed to a new CZ in 375?"
Not at all, but $1100+ is much more than I can scrape together, or want to spend.

"Ruger #1H Tropical. you want it?"
Want it? Of course! Afford it? Most likely not... but I appreciate the thought!

Don't give me too bad a time, but I had a Weatherby Mark V that I bought from a close friend, and thoroughly enjoyed shooting. Then life intervened, and bills were due, and the rifle was sold to pay said bills - for $550 - a few years ago. I would gladly buy it back, but I can't afford it either.

I can get a brand new barrel for the Savage, for around $250-$300. But I lose the convenience of being able to just take it out and shoot it, without doing the barrel swap.

The 1917 "might" be able to be done for about the same price. $225-$250 to have it rebored and rechambered, and I'm not sure how much to have the bolt opened up for the magnum case. I don't even know where I could get that done. (I'm not a dremel fan, so I wouldn't attempt it myself!)
A couple of advantages to using this rifle, is it already has the weight to take down a little of the recoil. And I already have a 30-06, so it would actually add the .375 caliber without losing anything else.

I appreciate all the input. Keep it coming!!

Larry Gibson
11-22-2017, 10:26 AM
The Savage may also require a modified magazine to feed reliable. A friend of mine just had a M70 300 Win mag rebarreled to three six bits and it never would feed right.

I'd keep saving up and keep looking for a used post '64 M70 CRF. If you don't mind PF then a used M700 Rem or post '64 M70s can be found. Also Browning A Bolts were made in three six bits. If you save enough pennies then the CZ is certainly worth a look.

Soundguy
11-22-2017, 11:43 AM
i've got a ruger #1 trop in 375.. hoot to shoot...

vzerone
11-22-2017, 11:59 AM
The switch barrels you have for your Savage, are any of them magnums? I ask because if you have magnum barrels that means you already have the magnum bolt head. If you do have them how do they feed? Again if you do have them try some dummy .375 H&H round to see how they try to feed.

AZ Pete
11-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Takes a pretty long action to feed a .375, not all long action bolt guns can do that without modification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drm50
11-22-2017, 12:14 PM
I bought my first 375H&H in 1968, a Sako. Shortly I had a Rem 700, Win 70 pre 64 and finally
a Herters Mauser. I held onto the Sako and M70. The Rem and Herter shot fair but both kicked
the Herters the worst. The Sako you could shoot all day with 300gr. It had 26" barrel and weighed
more than the m70. Both gun equal on accuracy. I sold all my magnum big game rifles 2 yrs ago,
bad back & age. The one I most regret selling was the Sako even though I have no use for a 375
any more. I think the 375H&H is one of those cartridges that is a perfect conception. I have
shot a lot of them and they all were accurate and owners bragged on them.

Thundarstick
11-22-2017, 11:15 PM
I've got any 1885 Winchester (Moroku) that I just love. I've also worked up a nice cast boolit load that's accurate and don't rattle my filings loose. I paid about half what one usually cost because it is a .375 H&H, Go figure.

Texas by God
11-22-2017, 11:42 PM
A Rem 700 long action will work.
Just get one in 7mm, .300, or .338 and rebarrel it. Or better yet have JES rebore it to .375 Wby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

smoked turkey
11-23-2017, 12:37 AM
If you have an Encore, you could go with a 375 H&H barrel for about as cheap as its going to get to get to the 375 H&H territory. I have the ProHunter for mine and recommend it as a good shooter and with cast boolits it is not too bad to shoot. Used it on a whitetail and it is potent medicine for sure.

obssd1958
11-23-2017, 09:07 PM
The Savage started out from the factory as a .300 Win Mag, and is currently wearing a .458 Win Mag barrel.

I am guilty of making a few assumptions, so now that we have this conversation going, I thought I would verify or refute the things that I thought I knew.

First one: Will the .375 H&H factory ammo, fit in the Savage 110 stagger-feed blind magazine? The answer is... NO
I thought from everything I had read, that it would, with no modification.

Second one: Will the .375 H&H factory ammo, fit in the blind magazine of the P17? Once again, the answer is... NO
So in addition to having the rifle bored and chambered for the new round, and the bolt face opened up for the magnum casehead, I would need to modify the magazine (and maybe the feed ramp) to get it to the point I want it.

I have a M700 that is chambered for .358 Norma Mag, so I checked to see if it's magazine would accept the .375 H&H factory ammo.
And the answer is... YES - easily. But no way am I modifying this rifle to anything other than what it is!!!

So now the search shifts...
I'm probably not going to use any of the rifles that I currently own, and I'm not really a single shot fan - anybody know someone who can't handle recoil anymore and would want to make me an amazing deal on their bolt action .375 ????

dh2
11-23-2017, 10:03 PM
The 375 H&H Mag. is for hunting things that will trample , bit and in general kill you I would not buy any rifle of this or any dangerous game caliber that was not control round feeding.

Soundguy
11-23-2017, 10:12 PM
Why not, nothing like running from a cape buffalo while trying to get your rifle unjamed and a round reloaded

obssd1958
11-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Unless I win the lottery, I'm afraid that my dream of hunting Africa has little to no chance of coming to pass. This rifle would be for shooting Elk, Deer, Black Bear, or whistle pigs (ground squirrels!), and of course paper!
I promise, that if I win the lottery and get to go to Africa, I'll buy a new rifle with controlled feed.:drinks:

wmitty
11-23-2017, 11:39 PM
I bought a M 70 pushfeed .375 when I was 19 and then rebarrelled a M 700 7 mag to .375 about ten years back. I’m 64 and won’t see Africa or Alaska but I sure enjoy sending boolits downrange with those rifles.

afish4570
11-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger with a synthetic stock is the lowest price to get your eye balls clicked together. Hornady brass is only source and can be bought for $1 each if you shop around. Not a beauty but functional and reports seem pretty good accuracy wise. Even with cast bullets you should have a lot of fun and plenty of power for hunting anything in the U.S. afish4570

duckey
11-24-2017, 01:00 AM
I bought a new CZ .375 H&H about 10 years ago for no real reason other than wanting a big caliber and a bucket list dream of going to Africa some day. I bought detachable scope rings for it and also a detachable peep for it, changed out the front blade sight as well. Its a great gun and I have only shot J words in it 235 GN, played around with different loads of RL-15. CZ makes a great gun for the money and they have equal customer service. I would like to get the same gun in .458 Win

obssd1958
11-24-2017, 01:21 AM
Funny that you should bring up the Patriot, in .375 Ruger. A friend had one, brand new never fired, that I got to put the first few rounds through. That light weight rifle, with full power factory loads, is no fun to shoot! I'm not recoil shy, but there are some stock configurations that do absolutely nothing to reduce felt recoil. The Weatherby Mark V that I had, in .375 H&H, was a pussycat compared to the Patriot.
I've shot rifles chambered in .300, .338, and .458 Win Mag, .300 RUM, .416 Weatherby, .404 Jefferies, .358 Norma Mag, 45-70, etc...
and the only other rifle to beat me up like the Patriot, was a Ruger M77 chambered in .338 Win Mag, with the skeleton (or boat paddle) stock. I do appreciate the suggestion, though!

One of the reasons that I'm looking for the .375 H&H, is that I have a ton of brass, a couple sets of dies, and of course lots of boolits for that caliber!!

Texas by God
11-24-2017, 08:43 AM
You mentioned .358 Norma; my brothers traded one back & forth for years and I consider it to be the best magnum cartridge I've used. I fully understand the need/want of a .375 H&H though. Today's Black Friday- get a Remington 700 adl/sps whatever in 7 or .300 mag and rebarrel it.

Larry Gibson
11-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Again, beware of possible feed problems with magazines for minimal taper 7 and 300 mag cases when converting/rebarrel to the tapered 375 case.

vzerone
11-24-2017, 01:03 PM
You mentioned .358 Norma; my brothers traded one back & forth for years and I consider it to be the best magnum cartridge I've used. I fully understand the need/want of a .375 H&H though. Today's Black Friday- get a Remington 700 adl/sps whatever in 7 or .300 mag and rebarrel it.

That 358 Norma is an underated cartridge. It is indeed a very good round.

Right now I don't think I'd by a Remington anything. They seemed to have gone downhill pretty bad.

KenT7021
11-24-2017, 04:27 PM
The 1917 will require work on the rails in the receiver and well as lengthening the magazine box to work with the 375 H&H.

Texas by God
11-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Again, beware of possible feed problems with magazines for minimal taper 7 and 300 mag cases when converting/rebarrel to the tapered 375 case.

Yes; it would be interesting to know if Remington uses a different magazine follower and box for the .375 in the M700 as well as the limited edition Classic .300 H&H.

lucifers
11-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Savage MADE a 375 H&H back when. A 30-06 length action (what you have) will not work w/o much modification.

If you want velocity, shop up an A-Bolt with the 26" bbl. Mine gets 3000+ with 235 TSXs.

If you want fail safe, buy a CZ.

If you like broken collar bones, get a No. 1 Tropical.

Best buy is a Remington Zasteva (mauser). (Discontinued)

Great cast boolit cartridge has even killed Buffs with lead !

lucifers
11-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Yes; it would be interesting to know if Remington uses a different magazine follower and box for the .375 in the M700 as well as the limited edition Classic .300 H&H.

I had a 700 Classic 300 H&H rebored to 400 H&H. It worked perfectly. H&H designed cartridges always feed, very important when the animal can kill you.

obssd1958
11-28-2017, 11:12 PM
I just put up a want to buy or trade ad, in the Swappin' and Sellin' section. I think that's my only reasonable option at this point.

lucifers
11-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Here's one of the hard to find Savages in 375 H&H made that way. Stainless too.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14083173

A NIB Browning:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/722085945

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719458008

Any decent one will cast about a grand.

Changing a cheaper rifle to 375 H&H will be questionable and you'll never recover your costs.

Texas by God
11-29-2017, 02:22 PM
If you can find a Whitworth Express Mark 10 Mauser those were really really nice rifles.

EDG
12-03-2017, 07:33 AM
A .375 might be found cheap if you have 15 or 20 years to troll for one. Otherwise cough up the money or do without.

I suspect that you can buy a push feed M70 Win worth the money or a Whitworth Mauser.
Some gun makers can cram a .416 Rugby in a 98 Mauser.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
The 1917 will require work on the rails in the receiver and well as lengthening the magazine box to work with the 375 H&H.

My P14 needed work on the rails and shortening of the feed ramp, for the .300H&H, but being a .303, no work on the bolt face. I soldered up a complete new magazine box, without the pressed-in grooves the .303 gets, which helped. None of it was very demanding work.

lucifers
12-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I think I have figured out that the OP doesn't really want to buy anything but enjoys chatting about and shooting down any suggestions.

A nice wood stocked X-Bolt for 830 bucks is a bargain. Buying and converting anything would cost as much, be unreliable and have a terrible resale.

You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt.

I'll stick with my No. 1 with cast boolits.

obssd1958
12-03-2017, 03:20 PM
I think I have figured out that the OP doesn't really want to buy anything but enjoys chatting about and shooting down any suggestions.

A nice wood stocked X-Bolt for 830 bucks is a bargain. Buying and converting anything would cost as much, be unreliable and have a terrible resale.

You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt.

And I think that you don't have a clue...

I started this post with some ideas, and I have responded to those that have helped, and also responded with what I've learned since the original post. In addition, I put up that I posted a "want to buy/want to trade" ad, to find something suitable.

I do enjoy chatting, but as far as shooting down suggestions, I stated right from the beginning "Gunbroker and the common retailers aren't helping me much either, since everything I've found there has been very expensive (my opinion!)."
$870 for a rifle may seem reasonable to you, and may very well be from a value point of view - but it is quite a bit more than I can afford, or want to spend. That would kind of be the reason for this discussion thread...

You're welcome to your opinion, but making it by trying to put me down, is not appreciated.

Don

lucifers
12-04-2017, 04:13 AM
As your "budget" is a mystery, real help is hard to offer.

You can't buy a Remington 783, Ruger American or TC Compass in 375 H&H ---- all entry level rifles.

Unless you have talent and a shop, you can't modify and military rifle and have a safe reliable gun for less than the Browning.

As I said:"You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt."

I'd like a $20,000 ZO7 too but they don't exist anymore than $300 375 H&Hs.

Here's a good solid rifle for $613 with free shipping, you'll never do better !

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24738/Weatherby+VGT375HR4OS+Vanguard+Series+2+Bolt+375+H olland+%26+Holland+Magnum+24+3

charlie b
12-04-2017, 10:28 AM
It really doesn't matter why he has a budget, BTDT many times. I would guess the budget is in the <$500 range based on new barrel for a Savage.

Lots of ideas for that caliber gun, but, in the end it might be better for a new barrel on the Savage (if the cartridge fits your action). If you do the rest of the work on the 1917 it might be cheap enough for you, but, might end up being close to cost of new gun.

I have come to like the Savage platform for a number of reasons so I'd probably go that route.

msp2640
12-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Don - Keep an eye out, it may take a while and some good luck, but I hope you find what your looking for! I lucked into a CZ550 American Safari in 375 H&H, about 10 or so years ago. Always wanted one, zero need for it, and the timing was perfect - seller posted it on a forum, I had some fun money - done deal for $700 shipped. The seller said it was his back up rifle for an African Buffalo hunt, he sighted it in, but never uncased it in Africa. Similar to what Duckey posted at the top of the page, I've had fun with it and Speer 235's and cast. Not really enjoyable off of the bench with factory 300 gr stuff, but handloads are a bunch of fun. Just my personal opinion, if you can find a decent one used for a good price, you'll always be able to resell it later, without losing too much or any money. I think you'd be far ahead going with a factory rifle. The reason I like it mostly, is that it seems the rifle was made for the cartridge, it's big, heavy and very well built, unlike other rifles, where its just another caliber in the line up. The only change I'd like to make to it, is to add a nice style barrel band, but I can't justify the cost, as it's just a range rifle, that I don't even put a sling on! I probably have about 200 rds thru it, since I've owned it. There is something special about it that keeps me from selling it, even though it has been a few years since I've shot it. If time is on your side and you can bank some money while keeping an eye out, I hope that luck comes your way - Good luck in your search. Bill in MA

lucifers
12-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I'll try again.

1. A Savage 300 Winmag action will not fit a 375 H&H. It's built for 3.34" OAL cartridges NOT 3.6". By the time you fix everything to end up with a cobbled up, unreliable rifle, you could have bought the Vanguard. Savage did make a 375 H&H rifle, a lot different animal than a 300 winmag. They no longer make it ---- wonder why ?

2. The fellow who bought the CZ years ago pad more than the Vanguard. Given inflation, the CZ's current price of $1000 is less than $700 ten years ago.

3. If you are contemplating converting a P 14 or P 17, you should invest in some classic gunsmithing books from 1945-1960 to see what a massive project that is. After tons of work you will still end up with a big heavy rifle with no resale value.

4. Here's another nice one that may or may not sell for $750. But you should avoid as the extractor will break---laffin http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723574351

Nice chat thread with no outcome.

Newtire
12-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Don,
We still have that double barrelled gun that Kathy's grandpa had that he left to us. It's in .375 Holland and Holland. Sounds like H & H to me? Kathy said to give it to you if you want it. It only has 2-shots and no scope but a whole gang of sights on the rear. If you can put in that ceiling fan, it's a deal.

lucifers
12-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Heck, I'll give you $500 for it !

BigEyeBob
12-06-2017, 05:30 AM
If you can find a Whitworth Express Mark 10 Mauser those were really really nice rifles.

Have to agree with you ,I bought one new in the 80's ,had a kahles 2.5 x 7 scope mounted on it in EAW tip off claw mounts .Took 30 odd asian water buff with it .Those winchester silver tips 300gn factory rounds were great . Reloaded using Hornady 300gn rnsp after the silver tips were unobtainium .I lent the rifle to a friend who took it to Africa ,he took Cape Buffalo , Eland ,Kudu And other game with it .When he returned he didnt want to give the rifle back to me ,I insisted . He pestered and hounded me for at least 8years to get me to sell him the rifle. Well times got hard for a while and I relented .Rifle sold ,heavy heart .He went to live in Canada for a short while , took black bear and moose ,had a grizzly tag but didnt fill it .He got really sick and returned to Australia and left the rifle behind ,with a friend .He has plans to go back and get a grizzly and then bring the rifle back .I really regret selling that rifle , and often I think about it .Life dishes up some bad situations at times but one has to take the good with the bad .

Ballistics in Scotland
12-06-2017, 07:37 AM
If you are contemplating converting a P 14 or P 17, you should invest in some classic gunsmithing books from 1945-1960 to see what a massive project that is. After tons of work you will still end up with a big heavy rifle with no resale value.

There is a lot of truth there. The best I know for this purpose is Harold E. Macfarland's "Introduction to Modern Gunsmithing" of 1965 ues the M1917 at length as an example of the sporterising process. The reason, I'm afraid, is that just about everything that might be needed in a rifle, is needed, and he gives good guidance on picking out the best. It is pretty common on www.bookfinder.com and eBay, expecially if you do your search as Macfarland and Gunsmithing, without initials. You'll find ridiculously overpriced examples, but some are cheap.aw

One point Macfarland mentions is that he considers it unwise to rechamber the military barrel (a very well-shaped one for a .30-06 sporter) for a magnum-diameter case. They are good barrels for their intended purpose, proved before issue, and you would be lucky to find one that hasn't done a good deal of shooting. But concealed flaws, exposed by chamber enlargement, aren't impossible.

The M1917 and P14 are sound actions, with an excellent striker safety, and aftermarket triggers are available - probably still the Dayton-Traister speedlock cock on opening conversion too. It isn't hugely heavy, but a bad choice for building a light rifle. Sometimes, especially with the largest cartridges to which it can be adapted, we don't want to. As for resale value... we are talking about sporterising old military rifles, in which building in value worth the labour and expenditure it cost is something of a fantasy. I can't think that if well chosen for purpose, it would be worse than most others.

It would be useful to hear from someone who knows for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the P14 bolt could be used in an M1917, letting you out of some tricky bolt face modification for a magnum conversion. I most emphatically wouldn't try interchanging them in an existing rifle without a proper headspace check, but in rebarrelling it should be possible.

With mine I aimed for target-rifle weight with something like sporting-rifle looks, so it got the lightest straight-tapered Shilen barrel and a stock of padauk, bright when new but quickly mellowing to a pleasant chocolate brown. This is a before and after composite, in exactly the same place, and the seasonal change in appearance says something about how long it took.

lucifers
12-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Now a nice chat thread. At least something good has come from "the search for the $300 375 H&H".

obssd1958
12-06-2017, 01:50 PM

I'll try again.
1. A Savage 300 Winmag action will not fit a 375 H&H. It's built for 3.34" OAL cartridges NOT 3.6". By the time you fix everything to end up with a cobbled up, unreliable rifle, you could have bought the Vanguard. Savage did make a 375 H&H rifle, a lot different animal than a 300 winmag. They no longer make it ---- wonder why ?

2. The fellow who bought the CZ years ago pad more than the Vanguard. Given inflation, the CZ's current price of $1000 is less than $700 ten years ago.

3. If you are contemplating converting a P 14 or P 17, you should invest in some classic gunsmithing books from 1945-1960 to see what a massive project that is. After tons of work you will still end up with a big heavy rifle with no resale value.

4. Here's another nice one that may or may not sell for $750. But you should avoid as the extractor will break---laffin http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723574351

Nice chat thread with no outcome.

Now a nice chat thread. At least something good has come from "the search for the $300 375 H&H".

lucifers,
Can you explain why you insist on posting negative comments on this thread? Does it brighten your day?
It is a discussion thread - you can call it "chat" if you like! But that was the whole purpose from the beginning. After all, the title does contain the words "Choices, choices... decisions, decisions", but doesn't say "I'm going to buy this today, and want you to make my decision for me!"
You did have some good comments and links, but I'm pretty sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate it if you left out the snide comments.
Have a nice day!!

Don

obssd1958
12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
BiS,
That's a great looking rifle!
One of the reasons that I was looking to explore the possibilities with the P17, was because of the weight and balance. I had a P17 that I bought off of Gunbroker, that had been chambered in .358 Norma Mag. It had also been "fitted" into the most awful thumbhole stock that I've ever seen. It was definitely not professionally done! It shot well, and made do until I was able to get a model 700 with a Douglas barrel in .358 NM - then it went down the road! The finish on the barrel made me think that it wasn't the original military barrel, rebored and rechambered, but there were no makers marks on it either. I'll never know now.
As the discussion here has progressed, I have come to the conclusion that the P17 would be better used as a funding source for the .375 H&H, instead of a build platform.

lucifers
12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
obssd or ocd ?

The initial appearance on the thread was that of a person who was looking for help in finding a 375 H&H.

You received lots of advice but kept using cost as a reason to no buy.

Then the cost issue was pretty well put to bed (there are no $300 375 H&Hs made by anyone)

What I view as the truth, you view as negative. IMHO I gave the you more options to buy than anyone as well as pointing out the fallacy of thinking a P14/17 conversion was a cheap deal. (A point you have now embraced)

There is nothing wrong with a "chat" thread, I found BIS's story about his rifle of interest.

IF I posted something that was incorrect or dangerous, I'd be more than happy to be called on it and correct it.

IF you have a minty Rem or WRA P-17--- that sold, will buy you any of the 375s suggested to you.

I feel you are trying to provoke me, so it's time for me to get off this thread.

obssd1958
12-08-2017, 12:02 AM
This discussion has put a bit of a burn under my butt, for a CZ550. And I am going to continue to look for one that I can afford.
In the mean time, I found a Savage in 7mm RUM for $355 all in, and a like new 24" .375 H&H barrel, for $125. Just under my self imposed limit of $500!! I really want something nicer, but I'm responsible for putting food on the table, and paying the bills, so I'll make do for now.
After all, it was a want - not a need. Sometimes I hate having to Adult!! (and yes that's a verb!!!!!!)
I'll post pictures on this thread once it gets here, and I get it swapped over.

Thanks again!

Don

Ballistics in Scotland
12-08-2017, 02:41 PM
BiS,
That's a great looking rifle!
One of the reasons that I was looking to explore the possibilities with the P17, was because of the weight and balance. I had a P17 that I bought off of Gunbroker, that had been chambered in .358 Norma Mag. It had also been "fitted" into the most awful thumbhole stock that I've ever seen. It was definitely not professionally done! It shot well, and made do until I was able to get a model 700 with a Douglas barrel in .358 NM - then it went down the road! The finish on the barrel made me think that it wasn't the original military barrel, rebored and rechambered, but there were no makers marks on it either. I'll never know now.
As the discussion here has progressed, I have come to the conclusion that the P17 would be better used as a funding source for the .375 H&H, instead of a build platform.

Thank you for that kind remark, but my rifle was a good example of how apparently small things affect other things. I silver soldered my magazine from bronze sheet (like the grip cap, which hasn't yet mellowed to a rather pleasing patina, nicer than brass). But I made the non-opening bottom plate wider than it needed to be, and inletted it into the largely uncarved stock before I realised that that would require the stock to be a shade flatter-sided than I would have liked it.

I don't really see the point of a thumbhole stock on a bolt-action rifle. It slows the manipulation of bolt and safety. There may be more point on a semi-automatic - or even a slide-action, although I have never heard of it being done, and quite possibly it never has been.

I see Brownells still have the Dayton-Traister trigger and speedlock kit at $64.99, with the two parts also available separately. But the one for a magazine reduced to five shots is back-order, with only the one for the unaltered six-shot (five in .303) in stock. Actually I did use that one, and cut and welded the trigger. Nobody ever broke a good weld that size with one finger. Unlike some it doesn't have an adjustment to take up pre-release, but mine was pretty good as it came. It is all-steel, and on a rifle of this kind I have always felt, like Gilbert and Sullivan, that "True love must be without alloy".

lucifers
12-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Does your RUM have a fixed or detach mag ?

RUM shoulder .525, 375 .448.

375s may not stay in RUM magazine.

Could be interesting when Buff is in full bore charge, you open the bolt and discover you have a "self-emptying" magazine.

375 RUM would make more sense.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Weatherby Vanguard .375. I have no intention of ever touching off a factory round in it, the plan would be to create .375 WCF level loads for it. Something like a Lee 379-250-RF at 1800-2000 fps. Does this sound doable? Does the .375 H&H work well with reduced loads?

gunlover
12-23-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Weatherby Vanguard .375. I have no intention of ever touching off a factory round in it, the plan would be to create .375 WCF level loads for it. Something like a Lee 379-250-RF at 1800-2000 fps. Does this sound doable? Does the .375 H&H work well with reduced loads?

Your idea works very well with the 375 H&H. Had a friend do it using the same cast bullet he uses in his 375 Win leveraction and even got himself a deer with it. As I remember his shot cast very accurate.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Great! I'll have to start a special envelope for it. $600.00 for a quality rifle in .375 is an awesome deal.

obssd1958
12-23-2017, 09:03 PM
I've had 2 rifles chambered in .375 H&H and have shot reduced cast boolit loads in both. It makes the cartridge a joy to shoot!
That would be the reason that I was looking to get another, after having to sell each of the previous rifles to pay bills. For me, the RCBS 250gr. FN GC, worked really well!

Don

FergusonTO35
12-23-2017, 10:26 PM
I like big bores but don't like lots of recoil. My gun collection would be a lot smaller if I didn't cast and reload!

wl620
12-28-2017, 12:55 AM
I think the OP and I are in the same boatI would like to have a 375 but dont want to lay out a lot of money for one, I too have a sporterized 1917 but instead of making it a375 h&h I have been giving serious though to sending it to JES to rebore to 375-06 improved. I mainly want a cast boolit shooter any way so the velocity I'll lose wouldnt matter anyway, from some of the data Ive seen posted on the internet its not too far behind the H&H anyway,It has a longer neck wich I personally like better especially for cast boolits,and I have a bunch of 06 brass so one less thing I have to buy
My only hold-up with this project has been finding the dies to load for it, I havent looked too hard but what I have found is redding makes a nice set but they want 200$ for them!
I know its not a 375H&H but it would be a good alternative to use what you have and even if you bought the expensive dies you would still be under the 500$ mark.
I'm gonna think on it for awhile longer before I do it.

azrednek
12-28-2017, 02:05 AM
A few years ago an acquaintance bought a sported US Enfield that had been converted to 308 Norma. If I remember right he only paid $125 for it. Later he had it re-barreled to 375 Ruger. I never saw the finished project but he claimed all it needed was the 375 Ruger barrel. No modifications to the mag or bolt face. He did say he was saving his nickels and dimes to dump the cut military stock and get a decent stock on it. Asked how he liked shooting it and he almost sounded regretful saying something about the punishing recoil sighting it in. I imagine that steel buttplate could really hurt after a few shots.

missionary5155
12-28-2017, 05:22 AM
I've got any 1885 Winchester (Moroku) that I just love. I've also worked up a nice cast boolit load that's accurate and don't rattle my filings loose. I paid about half what one usually cost because it is a .375 H&H, Go figure.

Good morning Another with the 1885 375 HH. CDNN still has them for under $1k . Hunt about and you can find them at bargain price as when we bought ours. That long 28" barrel will let you get all the value from a case load of 860 surplus and other powders. Ours also shoots .378 FNGC (ours) at 38-55 to 2350 fps with no issues and simple to make loads. This time north going to PP for this rifle and head out into the higher ballistic arches.
We also have a CZ which was purchased used for under $500. Look around...
Then there is a Ruger #1 recently purchased for under $750 delivered....
Mike in Peru

obssd1958
12-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Well, I have my Gunbroker purchased Savage 111, in 7mm RUM, in hand now. Nice rifle, and once I picked it up, I believe that I found the reason it was for sale! It weighs just over 7 pounds, and I would surmise that at that weight, the recoil would be none too pleasant...
It looks way to good to just pull the barrel off, before I get a chance to give it a shakedown cruise. So I will try it out in it's current configuration, as soon as I get some ammo put together.
In the meantime, a little comparison:
The .375 H&H barrel is .700 at the muzzle and 24" long, and the 7mm Rum is .620 at the muzzle and 26" long.
I'm not sure what the weight differences will be, but based on my other barrels, I would suspect it will be less than 1/2 pound (the .375 barrel weighs right at 3 pounds).
I did get a chance to run a few of the .375 rounds through the magazine on the new rifle - no problems, smooth as you could ask for!

More updates as things progress!!

FergusonTO35
12-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Hmm, intriguing. So, find a barely used RUM rifle for cheap, add .375 barrel, and you're set?

obssd1958
12-29-2017, 03:18 AM
That's where this project was headed.

One thing to watch for when doing switch barrels on Savage actions - there are 2 different thread diameters for the barrel to action interface. Small shank and large shank. Small shank is 1.055" x 20tpi, and large shank is 1.120" x 20tpi
The barrel you buy has to match the barrel shank diameter that you are replacing. This is complicated by the fact that the RUM calibers were mostly large shank - but not all. The rifle I just got, and the barrel that I found, are incompatible. I understood that the 111 action was all small shank, bu that is not the case. I just measured it, and it is definitely a large shank action.
Of course the .375 H&H barrel that I bought is a small shank (measured and verified...)

Time for a new plan!

Like I said, I'll post updates as the project moves along, but I already have a model 110 that started life as a .300 Win Mag and is now a .458 Win Mag, so I'm expecting good things!! Just not sure how soon I'm going to get there now.............................
:roll::???:[smilie=f:

Larry Gibson
12-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Hmm, intriguing. So, find a barely used RUM rifle for cheap, add .375 barrel, and you're set?

If its a M700 Rem probably need to switch out the magazine box and follower for the 375 parts for the tapered three six bit cases to feed.

FergusonTO35
12-29-2017, 04:15 PM
That's where this project was headed.

One thing to watch for when doing switch barrels on Savage actions - there are 2 different thread diameters for the barrel to action interface. Small shank and large shank. Small shank is 1.055" x 20tpi, and large shank is 1.120" x 20tpi
The barrel you buy has to match the barrel shank diameter that you are replacing. This is complicated by the fact that the RUM calibers were mostly large shank - but not all. The rifle I just got, and the barrel that I found, are incompatible. I understood that the 111 action was all small shank, bu that is not the case. I just measured it, and it is definitely a large shank action.
Of course the .375 H&H barrel that I bought is a small shank (measured and verified...)

Time for a new plan!

Like I said, I'll post updates as the project moves along, but I already have a model 110 that started life as a .300 Win Mag and is now a .458 Win Mag, so I'm expecting good things!! Just not sure how soon I'm going to get there now.............................
:roll::???:[smilie=f:

Sounds like this is going in the same direction as most of my projects.:veryconfu Could you just sell or trade the small shank barrel for a large shank? If the action is ready to go that seems like the best thing to do.

shdwlkr
12-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Don why don't you just get one of those RemWinMarlin Magno's in 50 bmg and be done with it. Might be a bit heavy but nothing will stand up to it if you do your part. Ha Ha Me I would just go and get a barret at $6000 a copy and a pallet of 50 bmg and be in heaven until either I ran out of ammo or the bills came in. By the way .375 bullets in lead of around 300-350 in weight are fun to shoot.

Ronald
12-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Have a machinist turn you out a sleeve - threaded small shank on inside, large shank on outside. Red locktite it in and you're set.

obssd1958
12-31-2017, 03:09 PM
I know this isn't a 375 H&H magnum, but this is a dang good deal on Gunboards. Here's the link.

LINK REMOVED

No Kidding! That's a great deal for everything that he is including!

I do already have a .458 Win Mag, but must admit - I have only run my 45-70 level handloads through it. It's a heavy barrel, threaded onto the 110 action that I have spoken of previously. Midway put the barrel kit on sale a few years back, and although I had no particular use for the caliber at the time, I thought that the day might come that I could actually go to Africa and use it. So I bought it!
Things have changed, time passes, and it's likely that I won't go - but it eats nothing, costs nothing to keep, and it's fun to shoot!!
Pretty much the same for the .375 - no particular need, but the one's I've had were fun to shoot, and I would like to have one again.

Ronald,
I don't know if that's even possible. I'm not a machinist, and I don't play one on TV :grin:, but .065 seems like not enough material to put threads on both sides.
Some of the avenues that I'm exploring include just buying a brand new barrel from one of the barrel makers. I can get a Shilen barrel from Northland Shooters Supply, up to 26″ – Chrome Moly Match for $299
or
E. R. Shaw, 4140 Chrome Moly Steel - "Matte or Polish Blued" $233
and of course, I am still watching the classifieds for a used large shank .375 H&H.

If I sell the small shank barrel, then I'm half way there!

Ronald
12-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Heck, that little ? Just put it in with JB Weld and you'll be all set.

gunlover
12-31-2017, 09:13 PM
Ronald I would want the correct fitting barrel. I don't care to jury rig things.

obssd1958
01-01-2018, 02:11 AM
shdwlkr,
I wish I would have had the cash to buy Bruce B's .50 BMG. That thing was fun to shoot!!