PDA

View Full Version : What cal is this?

dubber123
08-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Hey guys, I am working on a rifle for my brother, a Gew 98 Mauser. I assumed 8mm., as I'm not too familiar with military bolts, but this one seems to slug .276 X .289". I'm now guessing 7 X 57?.

Other than a mis matched bolt, it's in good shape, barrel and action match and it has a nice bore. I'd like to get it shooting for him. Any info? Thanks.

dromia
08-17-2008, 02:53 AM
I think I'd want to take a chamber cast to be sure what its reamed for.

I'm on look out for a 7mm Boer Mauser at the moment.

Bret4207
08-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Is a photo available? IOW- are you sure it's a GEW98?

badgeredd
08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
My opinion is that it is a 7mm barrel. Most all of the 7mm military Mauser barrels I have slugged were .001 to .003 oversize. But I also agree that you should take a chamber cast as there are some people out there that rechamber Mausers and never mark the barrel with the new chamber info. It is quite likely a 7x57 but you should check the headspace too, as its common to get a new/old stock surplus barrel and change a gun over. Apparently a few people don't recognize the fact that headspace (especialy since it is a mismatched bolt) IS important and excessive space can be very danger as posted several places here on the forum.
Just my $.02

Edd

dubber123
08-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Is a photo available? IOW- are you sure it's a GEW98?

Bret, it has GEW 98 stamped in Gemanic? style lettering on the non bolt handle side of the action, thats what I went by. Straight bolt handle BTW. I really have to get back on the picture posting thing, I'm sure it would be helpful here.

dubber123
08-17-2008, 10:33 AM
My opinion is that it is a 7mm barrel. Most all of the 7mm military Mauser barrels I have slugged were .001 to .003 oversize. But I also agree that you should take a chamber cast as there are some people out there that rechamber Mausers and never mark the barrel with the new chamber info. It is quite likely a 7x57 but you should check the headspace too, as its common to get a new/old stock surplus barrel and change a gun over. Apparently a few people don't recognize the fact that headspace (especialy since it is a mismatched bolt) IS important and excessive space can be very danger as posted several places here on the forum.
Just my $.02

Edd

Edd, point well taken on the chamber cast. If anything was done to alter this from stock, it sure doesn't appear so, and it sat unfired in the house it was in since probably the late 40's to early 50's.