View Full Version : Powder Question: "Sport Pistol"

Yellowseven
11-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Has anyone tried Alliant's new powder "Sport Pistol?"

I am thinking about it for 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Kent Fowler
11-24-2017, 01:21 PM
The only thing I can see useful over other pistol powders, supposedly, is the claim not to burn the bases of coated boolits. Whether other powders do or not do this, I don't know, as I'm old school and lube mine with a Star. I'd buy it and see if you like it, as you may have a tad bit of a wait for someone on the board to answer your question as a lot of us are "powdered out". I still have unopened 8 pound cans of WW-231, Superlite, WW-296, AA-5 and a few other cans to work through before I would even contemplate buying a new pistol powder.

mdi
11-24-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm with Kent on this one. Early in my reloading I tried a pound of nearly every powder the fellers talked about at the gun shop and the "new and improved" powders. I now have a drawer full of one pound containers of powder I rarely use, because I wanted to give it a try I'd buy some, load up a bunch and shoot 'em. Most worked like they were advertised to, but I've not found anything much better than my old favorites (I have a cabinet for my multi-pound containers and my stocked up one pounders).

kmw1954
11-25-2017, 03:08 AM
Have found I lean towards Western Powder. Bought a pound of Silhouette to try because of the advertising pushing a clean burn and less smoke for indoor use. I have to say that so far I notice a big difference when I shoot at the indoor range. Air does seem to stay clearer. Only thing I find is an overlap with AA#5.
I haven't used any since they were Hercules. I also buy my powders locally and haven't seen any as of yet.

Mytmousemalibu
11-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Have found I lean towards Western Powder. Bought a pound of Silhouette to try because of the advertising pushing a clean burn and less smoke for indoor use. I have to say that so far I notice a big difference when I shoot at the indoor range. Air does seem to stay clearer. Only thing I find is an overlap with AA#5.
I haven't used any since they were Hercules. I also buy my powders locally and haven't seen any as of yet.

Not only myself but a bunch of fellow USPSA clubmates and competitive shooters in general have a heavy favor for Silhouette! I burn a lot of it in competition and use it in my defense loads, it is a fantastic pistol powder! It does burn pretty cleanly, its fairly low smoke, and it's a flash suppressed powder. Even at the heavy charges of it I burn in my Open Division gun, with a ported barrel and big 3 port comp, still minimal visible flash to none at all. It meters very well and accurately and produces low deviations at the chrono. It's a great powder!

I'd be up for trying a pound of this new Sport Pistol if I come across it. Sounds interesting and perhaps it can fill some big shoes.