PDA

View Full Version : Quince, do you use them?

Wayne Smith
11-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Whenever I find them in the store I'll get some to put in my apple pies. This year I got several and intend to get more. I poached one in sweet white wine with just a touch of sugar last night. That hit the spot, I boiled down the wine/juice to make a light sauce and LOML loved it. I also put down two Quince liqueurs - one all Vodka and one Vodka/Brandy. Each had four or five cardamom seeds in it. Have to wait to see how those come out.

farmerjim
11-19-2017, 06:54 PM
I have a quince tree back by my barn. It made tons of fruit last year. I made some sugar free quince jelly. It was good, but lots of work. Mayhaw jelly is much better and less work.

texassako
11-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Poached for dessert or cored and peeled, boiled with vanilla, and mashed as a side dish with pork. I don't see them often in our stores at a decent prices, novelty status around here.

MT Gianni
11-21-2017, 12:40 AM
I ate some quince jelly 40 + years ago but have never seen one in a grocery store or a tree. They must not transport well.

Lloyd Smale
11-21-2017, 07:10 AM
must be a south only tree. Ive never even heard the word until today.

farmerjim
11-21-2017, 07:47 AM
It was used as a rootstock to graft pear trees. I have been getting about a dozen fruit a year on my tree, but last year (a cold winter) I got about 4 5 gallon buckets full. This year after a warm winter with one hard freeze, I got none. Can be grown in USDA hardiness zones 4-9. It does require 50 to 450 chill hours (below 45 ) to blossom properly.

Wayne Smith
11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
There are actually both a quince tree that flourishes in the warmer, drier areas and a bush that flourishes in New England. The tree quince are reportedly better fruit.

Bulldogger
11-21-2017, 09:03 AM
I have a large Japanese flowering quince bush inherited from the previous owner of my house. It produces small fruits, maybe 2 inches in diameter.

They must be good, because they disappear before they are fully ripe. We have a lot of squirrels in that corner of the yard :-)

I'm thinking of getting an airgun, and having squirrel soup with quince dessert next June.

BDGR

mold maker
11-21-2017, 09:09 AM
They lost favor here because of the low production. Haven't seen one in years.

dragon813gt
11-21-2017, 09:19 AM
must be a south only tree. Ive never even heard the word until today.

Same here. Never heard of it and certainly have never seen it for sale.

MaryB
11-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Saw it once as an ingredient in mincemeat pie... since? Nope...