PDA

View Full Version : Today my coydog

trapper9260
11-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Today I will need to put my one of my coydog down. his joints legs are given too many problems and can not get up the way he needs to and pain meds. I are not working anymore.He is just of 16 years old and will be 16 years the 25th of this week that I found him and his brother that I lost to cancer ,that he was 1 month short of being 12 years old. I got the 2 of them when I was trapping coyotes and his brother was the one that got his foot in the trap. The Vet said they where about 6 1/2 weeks old at the time. I just wanted to just say this.208031 this is hm early this year. I talk with the Vet this morning already and he will do it for me and he told for the meds that was given to him that there is nothing left that can be down for him. he did good for his age. he know him since i got him and his brother.

bayjoe
11-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Sorry for your loss. It's tough loosing your friends.

trapper9260
11-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Yes it is .He is a very close friend.Now his buddy that is just over 3 years old will have it hard to deal with also he is a coydog also.Thank you bayjoe

blackthorn
11-19-2017, 12:23 PM
I know how you feel and you have my sympathy. My last dog lived just over 16 years and, like yours, he got to where he could not function without pain. It is hard to let them go but sometimes it is just the right thing to do.

11-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Toughest thing I've had to do.

trapper9260
11-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Yes it is tough to do it but I know I could not see him be the way he was anymore. He is at peace now.Now I have his buddy to look after. He had taught him well here is his photo208044 208045 here is another of my dear friend beside my other dear friend.

RED BEAR
11-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss can't imagine what you are going through.

DCP
11-19-2017, 02:08 PM
“Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he’s owned a dog. A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes.” – Gene Hill

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. ” – Mark Twain

trapper9260
11-19-2017, 05:40 PM
“Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he’s owned a dog. A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes.” – Gene Hill

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. ” – Mark Twain So true.

Eddie17
11-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Sad for your loss of a dear friend. Cherish your memories!
Also the above posts. Great words!

lightman
11-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Sorry for your loss. It's tough to loose a friend.

MaryB
11-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

GhostHawk
11-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Thank you Mary.

I came late to the reading of the Rainbow bridge. I still cry every time I read it.
My special girl is I know waiting for me.

Trapper you have my sympathy, I know your pain. But you had many long good years.
You can not have the one without the other. Opposite sides of the same coin.

In the end I think it is well worth it. But it took me 25 years after losing my last before I was ready to try again.

Meantime I have this guy to love.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-20-2017, 03:17 AM
We always think of it as a source of grief that dogs live so much shorter lives than we do. But that is why we can take on a dog in reasonable certainty that they won't outlive us. Children can grow up and live independent lives, but they can't.

This one, which would have any Australian saying "dingo", is an old school friend's wild desert dog, which he found in his garden one morning, on the outskirts of Muscat in Oman. They gave her food and water, with the natural result that they found her there every morning, saying "Give us a job?" So they took her in, and the surprising thing is that she made a very fine job of being a model house dog in all respects - far less of a nuisance than my well-intentioned but manic Irish terrier. His Omani landlord loved her, but was very puzzled. He could believe in a good dog, but thought you had to buy them from an expensive importer. She died at the age of fourteen recently, on retirement in Spain, and if dogs could meet up and exchange tall tales, those Spanish dogs would have heard a few.

RogerDat
11-20-2017, 03:55 AM
In order to love our dogs as well as they love us requires us to outlive them by many years. We aren't as good at loving as a good dog so we have to do it long after they are gone in order to catch up. Sometimes we have to start measuring up to the love they give by putting their need for relief ahead of our grief at saying goodbye.

I have been blessed with some very good dogs. Look forward to the fur pile full of licks and nips this side of the bridge more than to crossing over.

Boaz
11-20-2017, 06:25 AM
We that keep dogs understand . Every dog I have had gave more to me than I did to them and it leaves a small hole in your life when they go . I'm sorry you will lose him but your doing the right thing for him .

trapper9260
11-20-2017, 07:10 AM
The way I got him ,was when I was trapping coyote and his brother that I lost about 4 years ago to cancer.His brother got his foot caught in the foothold trap and he stay with his brother. I took the both of them in as my own. The vet said that they where about 6 1/2 weeks old.They where part coyote/wolf and blue heeler. It been a rough night for the one I have still he is part coyote/border collie . I got him from a lady from BC,Canada. He is lost with out this one tat i lost his name was Alpine and his brother was Sig. the one i have still is Shadow he is the dark one in the photo. Thank you Mary for what you post and every one else. You right Boaz about doing the right thing for him.I had the vet do it right for him .He earn it more ways then one ever think.His brother did also. I made sure I was with them till the end. I know when I leave this life they will be there for me like Mary posted. I have lost other dogs and each one find there spot in my life . i will be looking for another coydog puppy or a wolf dog puppy to be friends with Shadow to try help him to deal with it all. I had done the same for Alpine after i lost his brother and Shadow fill that spot in his life and my.

trapper9260
11-20-2017, 07:38 AM
I had post this some time ago. it is call the Hunt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FlJLt5wxw

gray wolf
11-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Extremely sorry about your loss.
Thank you for the pictures and and the story. You sound like a very caring person,
I have to believe your pets were very happy to be part of your life.

I live 24/7 with my Malamute Ashly and my mixed breed Sophie.
The two of them along with my wonderful wife Julie are truly a pack.

I have had to put dogs down in the past, I understand the love of a dog.
Sorry again for your loss.

Sam

Ballistics in Scotland
11-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Every dog I have had gave more to me than I did to them....

Ah, but they thought they were doing just fine in the deal.

I'm not surprised that coydogs can be civilised and friendly. Saudi wild dogs, which were doing too well out of the canteen dumpster and handouts from the Bangladeshi kitchen staff to need food, used to come up to me to hear a bit of conversation. It is a good thing coyote/border collies can be docile. With breeding like that, they could take over the world.

trapper9260
11-21-2017, 07:18 AM
You understand the breed Ballistics in Scotland not many do. Just like the breed of coyote /wolf and dog.Him and his brother ,when I look back have save my life after I had talk to someone about what one thing had happened to me with heat sickness.it is them that I am here today.I know I am part and head of the pack with them.Now I have the one now and he still looking for his buddy. We just make the best of it all. Thank you all.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Well, I know wolf hybrids have something of a record of turning on their owners - more than strangers, maybe. But I'd guess that to be the fault of owners who just want the biggest and the baddest, and don't take the trouble to know the breed. I think no human selective breeding may be better than the wrong sort.

white eagle
11-22-2017, 11:09 AM
I am so sorry for your loss
have had to do it more than I care for
but I am a dog lover so it won't end
I get it and hope it gets easier for you
my sympathy

trapper9260
11-22-2017, 06:19 PM
It dose not get easier ,just something I need to live with.Thank you white eagle. I know i had to do the right thing for him. I had the vet put him to sleep.because he earn it like his brother did. I was there for the both of them when the vet put them to sleep. I did not want them to died alone.i told the vet that also.They earn it from me.

MaryB
11-22-2017, 09:51 PM
My cat Tigger died in my arms after a seizure and heart attack. Think he was brain dead because no response but his body struggled on for 2 more days. I kept him near me and petted him just in case he was still there. His body died while I was petting him. I told him to go and not stay we would meet again.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-23-2017, 05:15 AM
We have to tell ourselves, and hope it is true, that they have no idea what death is - the animals we love or the animals we shoot. I don't believe any of them can think "I'm dying, and losing all I lived for."

trapper9260
11-23-2017, 07:33 AM
From what I seen with my boys.They know about death ,but miss each other like we do.I know it is hard to explain.it show more with brothers. that is what the 2 first coydogs that I got and this is the last one.He did not hardly eat for just over a month and then over eat after till i got the one that I have left that is my other buddy.
I like to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving.hope all the best of the day to give thanks for what we do have.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Lanty Hanlon the Irish terrier gets excited by running, playing or normal fighting, in humans or animals, on TV. But human or animal bullying, inside his television, makes him angry. Once there was a scene after an illegal dog-fight (not shown) when a man was griefstricken and holding his dead or moribund pit bull, all dappled with blood. I don't believe dogs can see colours, so he must have looked like any other spotty dog, sleeping on his master's lap just like he does when I let him. But Lanty threw back his head and howled, just twice. Nobody ever knows all that is in a dog's mind.

trapper9260
11-23-2017, 01:52 PM
I was told that coyotes see black and white.That was when I sat in a trapping demo on coyote. You are right Ballistice in Scotland nobody know all that is in a dogs's mind. The one down the street told me I think last year he was hunting coyote and shot one and it was dead and there was others that ran off but one that when and grab the dead one by the skuff off the neck drag it away .He did not find that dead coyote he said he follow the drag mark for about a mile and could not go any further.

OeldeWolf
11-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Having had to put down little BasCu less than six months ago, and poor old Snuffy a year before that, I can easily sympathize with the losses all of you have endured. But, like all of you, the love they give is so great that I will be getting another one, probably early next year. Forgive the typos, the screen is not that clear, for some reason.

trapper9260
11-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Having had to put down little BasCu less than six months ago, and poor old Snuffy a year before that, I can easily sympathize with the losses all of you have endured. But, like all of you, the love they give is so great that I will be getting another one, probably early next year. Forgive the typos, the screen is not that clear, for some reason.Do not worry about the typo I had a hard time when I first post this and still gets to me.I will be looking for anther coydog puppy to keep the one I still have to have a friend and buddy for him and me also.

MaryB
11-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Tigger knew he was dying and struggled up the steps to my bed. I heard him, picked him up and he went. He knew it was time.

We have to tell ourselves, and hope it is true, that they have no idea what death is - the animals we love or the animals we shoot. I don't believe any of them can think "I'm dying, and losing all I lived for."

trapper9260
11-24-2017, 07:59 AM
You are right Mary ,they know when it is there time or they want you to help them because of how it is for them. Alpine did just that show me that it was time for him.Like his brother did when he had lung cancer. They will tell you in there own way. Once you know them for them not what some will say.

shooter bob
11-24-2017, 12:09 PM
God bless all who have lost a dear friend. I type this with a tear in my eye.