PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Oddball

FloridaFialaFan
08-16-2008, 04:50 PM
One of my favorite oddballs is this little .22rf single-shot Hopkins & Allen No. 822. It's listed as the "Full Loop Lever" model. Most of these little .22rf single-shot rifles had a lever which came to be known as the "pigtail lever."

The same H&A gun in .32rf was designated No. 922.

Share a photo of your favorite oddball so we can all see it.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/HOPKINSANDALLEN822004_edited.jpg

Doc Highwall
08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Here is a Anschutz Free Pistol in 22lr. Probably brought back as a war souvenir.

FloridaFialaFan
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Doc Highwall, that is actually a piece of art! I make a point of NOT shooting any of my collectibles on the off chance I might do a valuable historical artifact some harm even while just transporting it aound. But I must say, your pistol would sorely tempt me to break that rule.

I collect only US and Canadian made guns, especially those considered cheapies back in their day. By NOT investing in valuable Europeon guns like yours are one reason I have more $$$$ to spread among several guns, rather than a lot of cash tied up in a single museum piece like that.

You've got one of the world's greatest guns there. Congrats! :drinks:

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

NoDakJak
08-18-2008, 12:48 AM
FloridafialaFan: Great little rifle. You nshould enter it into the thread for Rook Rifles and Game Guns. It is a classic!!
Doc Highall: Ya wanta give me a heart attack? That has to be one of the finest pieces in captivity. I slobbered and drooled over things like that when I was stationed in England in the mid seventies but couldn't afford them then and now they are worth ten times the price. It is totally amazing what the Germans and Swiss can do with a simple piece of steel.
Neil

FloridaFialaFan
08-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Hey, NoDakJak, I'm not familiar with Rook Rifle, but Game Guns... I assume this next oddball 12ga. single-shot would apply to that category.

This has been advertised on recent auctions as Iver Johnson's "semi-hammerless" and "ring trigger" and called a "Champion" by the auction where I found this one.

I got in contact with Bill Goforth who authored what's considered the "Collectors' Bible" for IJ products, Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871 - 1993. He considers it the first of truly modern single-shot shotgun with a self-adjusting barrel lock. He says they were made only 1900 to 1908, unknown quantity.

He says it was the most expensive gun in the 1902 IJ catalog at $9.50!!! All their other scatterguns sold for $2 to $2.50 LESS.

It's actual name is the "Improved Model of 1900." It has a very quick and easy, no tools required, take-down for cleaning, repair, etc..

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/IJRINGTRIGGERMOREPHOTOS002_edited.jpg

Here is a better close-up of the action on this gun. About an inch back of that hole in front, hanging out the bottom, you can barely make out the head of the small release lever which allows the takedown bolt to slide out, and the gun be taken down for cleaning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/IJRINGTRIGGERDETAILS007_edited.jpg

pietro
08-18-2008, 07:55 AM
[22rf single-shot Hopkins & Allen No. 822. The same H&A gun in .32rf was designated No. 922.]

I was reading some old NRA Collector's Journals, and one had a thumbnail history of H&A.

After a disasterous fire in Feb 1900, when the factory burnt to the ground, H&A rebuilt it, and started producing the William H. Davenport (earlier of Bay State Arms) designed "Junior" falling-block rifle as the Model 922.
In 1902, H&A acquired the old Forehand Arms Co (Forehand & Wadsworth/Ethan Allen/ Allen & Wheelock), and added to their line of boy's rifles, supplimenting the Model 922 with the 822 and the cheaper 722, based on a quasi-rolling-block considered inferior to the 922's falling block action.

I have a Davenport/Bay State Arms gun, myself:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/XXFAL-BayState.410.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pic - but the action's nickle-plated, reflecting a bunch of glare.

FloridaFialaFan
08-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that info, pietro. Do you recall exactly what date, actual title, etc.? I always like to obtain (where possible) an actual copy of old magazines, etc., for articles on guns I own.

The I.J. Scattergun is NOT part of my collection - which is all .22rf single-shots. I will be parting with it soon.

A nice Davenport .22rf recently sold online at auction, but topped out WAY above what I was willing to pay for a specimen. I've lived this long without one, a short while longer won't hurt me any. :coffee:

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Doc Highwall
08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Not really a oddball. It is a 1894 Marlin in 38spl only with a pistol grip and octagon barrel, no cross bolt safety, s/n on the side and is drilled and tapped for both scope and receiver sight.

FloridaFialaFan
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Beautiful gun, Doc. Those Marlin levers are a lot more sexy than the straight stocks on the similar Winnie levers. However, you get the buzzer! It's NOT a single-shot... :roll:

But, we'll forgive you, 'cause we just like GUNS!

Now - below is a picture of a bit of an oddball. A single-shot .22rf pistol which is the ONLY firearm ever manufactured by a still-operating airgun manufacturer: Sheridan. And, it's even got an "oddball" name: Knocabout! Yep, only ONE K. That's the way it's spelled on the box top, in their ads, in the instructions, etc., etc..

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/KNOCABOUT2PHOTOS750WIDE.jpg

Vintage '50s ad for the gun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/SHERIDANKNOCABOUTAD1953_AMERRIFLEMA.jpg

pietro
08-18-2008, 07:01 PM
[Do you recall exactly what date, actual title, etc.?]

HOPKINS AND ALLEN 1868-1915, by Allen W. Terek (subtitled: A Thumbnail History) - in NRA's MAN AT ARMS, vol.9, no.6, Nov-Dec, 1987 (pp 21).

FloridaFialaFan
08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Pietro. Something else for me to search for on eBay, Amazon, etc.. Only NRA oldies magazines I've got are Arms And The Man from 1917.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF