PDA

View Full Version : Purging Lube

SharpsShooter
11-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I just picked up a Lyman 45 and have a question. What is the easiest way to purge old hard lube out of it? I'm tempted to turn it upside down and apply some heat from a propane torch but don't want to harm any internal parts. Ok to do it this way? Ideas? :-)

Four Fingers of Death
11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I just picked up a Lyman 45 and have a question. What is the easiest way to purge old hard lube out of it? I'm tempted to turn it upside down and apply some heat from a propane torch but don't want to harm any internal parts. Ok to do it this way? Ideas? :-)

Use your wife's hair dryer. You won't do any damage with it. If you have a home brew wrap around heater that would work also, but not as quickly.

Unless it is blocked it will probably operate ok even if you don't do anything about it. Suck it and see.
Mick.

fecmech
11-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Sharpshooter--There is an "O" ring on the round plug in the base of the sizer, if you keep away from that and remove the die and the pressure screw and seals you should be ok. I've used one of those 1000 watt heat guns to good effect myself. Nick

omgb
11-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I pre-heated the oven to 250* and set mine in a shallow pan for 45 min. Worked like a charm. Old gunk on the outside slid off too.

Buckshot
11-20-2005, 07:20 AM
.............I don't think it has to be just super clean of one lube before using another. I'd just take the die out and wind the piston down. Then with a couple popsicle sticks scrape out all you can easiy get to and call it good.

.............Buckshot

Nazgul
11-20-2005, 08:40 AM
I purchased one several years ago with really nasty old lube all over it. Fired up the turkey fryer with old pot full of water on it , dunked the sizer into it and the lube floated to the surface.

SharpsShooter
11-20-2005, 10:29 AM
.............I don't think it has to be just super clean of one lube before using another. I'd just take the die out and wind the piston down. Then with a couple popsicle sticks scrape out all you can easiy get to and call it good.

.............Buckshot

That was my first thought. It seemed like the simple solution too, but this lube had frozen itself to the sides of the lube housing to the point that the housing unscrewed when I tried. I ended up taking it off and after that it was easy enough to clean it out. I don't know what kind of lube it was, but geez it was like concrete. I put it back together, filled it with new lube and it works like a new one. Thanks for the tips guys :smile: :smile: