PDA

View Full Version : always faithful / always true, sad but nice read

gray wolf
11-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Vietnam War veteran, 83, wears his dress blues to stand guard over his Marine buddy's casket

Honor.
Semper Fidelis.(always faithful)
are by what we do.We define who we
SS

Vietnam War veteran, 83, wears his dress blues to stand guard over his Marine buddy's casket after they made promise to each other in 1968 when they survived a mortar attack

Retired Marine Master Sgt. William H. Cox first met retired Marine First Sgt. James 'Hollie' Hollingsworth in 1968 during Vietnam War
The two men were hunkered down on New Year's Eve that year shielding themselves from rockets and mortars
They promised if they survived, they would keep in contact every New Year's Eve
For the next five decades, the lifelong friends spoke every December 31st
But Cox traveled from South Carolina to Georgia earlier this year to say goodbye to Hollingsworth, who was dying from a terminal illness
Hollingsworth made Cox promise him that he would deliver his eulogy and stand guard over his casket at his funeral, to which Cox accepted
A photo showing Cox keeping his promise to Hollingsworth has gone viral

By Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:29 EST, 16 November 2017 | Updated: 15:52 EST, 16 November 2017

An 83-year-old retired Marine kept a promise he made to a fellow officer while they were hunkered down in a bunker during the Vietnam War.

Retired Marine Master Sgt. William H. Cox and Retired Marine First Sgt. James 'Hollie' Hollingsworth were shielding themselves from rockets and mortars in 1968 as they were fighting in the Marble Mountains during the war on New Year's Eve.

The two men, who were strangers to each other, had decided if they made it out of the bunker and survived the war, they would contact each other every New Year's Eve.

For the next five decades they kept that promise - every New Year's Eve they would catch up.

Earlier this year, Cox traveled from Piedmont, South Carolina, to see Hollingsworth in Hephzibah, Georgia.

The 83-year-old made the trip so that he could say goodbye to his dear friend who was dying.

Honor: Retired Marine Master Sgt. William H. Cox (left) kept his promise to stand guard at his friend's funeral, Retired Marine First Sgt. James 'Hollie' Hollingsworth
For five decades, Cox (above in 2011) would speak to Hollingsworth on New Year's Eve after they became close friends during the war

While visiting, Hollingsworth asked his buddy to make him one last promise.

He asked him to stand guard over his casket and deliver the eulogy at his funeral, to which Cox accepted.

'I said, "Boy, that's a rough mission you're assigning me to there,"' Cox told Greenvilleonline.com.

Cox, who served in the Marine helicopter squadron VMO-2 with Hollingsworth, made sure to keep his final promise when the time came.

The 83-year-old put on his dress blues and stood guard over his friend's casket during his funeral service earlier this month. He also delivered a heartfelt eulogy for Hollingsworth - whom he flew numerous combat missions with during their time in the Marines.

Closing the eulogy, Cox repeated a phrase he would tell his friend during their missions: 'Hollie, you keep 'em flying, and I'll keep 'em firing.'

A photo taken of Cox standing next to Hollingsworth casket was shared to Facebook by his son, Bill Cox.
The two men flew numerous combat missions together, which resulted in Cox to consider Hollingsworth to be a 'brother'. Cox is pictured above in a photo taken in 2011

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/16/19/466BC6F700000578-0-image-a-8_1510859566880.jpg

'My 83 year old father, Master Sergeant William H.Cox, USMC, Retired, honoring one of his Vietnam brothers, First Sergeant James J. Hollingsworth (Hollie),' he captioned it.

'They made a pact to stay in touch, if they survived their tour, and they did. Both were door gunners, and dad was the only enlisted man in VMO-2 to be awarded the DFC in Vietnam.

'He has to use a cane most of the time now, but he insisted on not using it during his vigil at the casket and at the funeral.'

Since sharing the photo on November 5, the emotional photo has been shared thousands of times with many fellow Marines saluting the pair for their service.

Cox said that his bond with Hollingsworth as a Marine was 'different from any other branch of service' and that he considered him to be 'a brother.'

Riverpigusmc
11-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Fair winds and following seas

DCP
11-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Many gave all
All gave some

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
They gave their today

Pb Burner
11-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Thanks for posting this. An example of true brotherhood.

smoked turkey
11-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Very good post. I couldn't see it clearly. Had something in my eye I think.

Grmps
11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Once a brother, always a brother

JBinMN
11-16-2017, 09:28 PM
A band of brothers, for sure..
What a great example of Semper Fidelis!

An honorary salute to the Marine who passed, R.I.P., & also to the Marine who stood watch over him as promised.

Rcmaveric
11-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Fair winds and following seas. He is having some well deserved rum with Davey Jones. Honor. Courage. Commitment.

bedbugbilly
11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
THAT is what our country is all about. Thanks for posting . . . like smoked turkey, it got a little hard to see to read . . .

Duty . . . Honor . . . . Country . . . . .

Echo
11-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Heavy Duty - and Plus One for the foregoing... Ol' Labile Echo did his thing...

William Yanda
11-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Me too!

smokeywolf
11-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Sure got blurry in here. Good thing I'm a touch typist.

Iowa Fox
11-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Look at the posture on that Marine!!! Better than most 20 year old's. Makes an old Vet proud.

lightman
11-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Thats quite a story and a true friendship! Thanks for posting this.

Moonie
11-18-2017, 10:14 PM
The proudest day of my life was when my middle son became a Marine. You see when he was little he wanted to be an artist. When he was 11 years old he changed his mind and decided he would become a US Marine, he dedicated himself to that goal on the day he made that decision, you see he was 11 years old on Sept 1 2001, the day he set his course.

Bzcraig
11-18-2017, 11:13 PM

Me too....

aspangler
11-19-2017, 12:09 AM
Thank you for posting this. Makes me proud even though I was in Airborne. MAY WE NEVER FORGET.

Bad Water Bill
11-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Well I served in the Navy and proud of it.

But keep in mind that ONLY 5% of the civilian population for what ever reason have had the privilege to serve our GREAT country.

THANK YOU VETERANS ONE AND ALL.

HABCAN
11-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Semper Fi, and AMEN!