PDA

View Full Version : Lead Prices Are Poised To Tumble

Morgan Astorbilt
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
This from Bloomberg Financial News. There may be light at the end of the tunnel for us.
Morgan
http://www.bloomberg.com:80/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a7sISyTDWSiE&refer=home

leadeye
08-16-2008, 08:27 AM
That would be good news. Getting back into casting this year after a 20 year pause was really a shock. Beats buying them though and with retirement I have time to cast.

lathesmith
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Here's to hoping that a bunch of speculators get burned big-time when the rug gets jerked out from under them!
lathesmith

Boerrancher
08-16-2008, 10:37 AM
That is good and bad, as the large Doe Run smelter is only about 30 min from the house here. I was thinking about hitting them up for a job once they started getting lined out. I like the idea of cheaper lead, but am not too fond of the prospect of not having more Jobs in the area with Chrysler shutting down and all of the other area business that support it.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

monadnock#5
08-16-2008, 10:42 AM
"Lead can be recycled repeatedly, and the final product is indistinguishable from new, according to the Lead Development Association in London." (From the link above)

It seems to me that part of the thought process on the part of the producers and recyclers is to cut we boolit casters out of the loop, as we represent (to them) a dead end in the process.

Until facts on the ground prove otherwise, I think we should pursue our sources with abandon. What's good for the lead industry and their customers may not trickle down to a segment of the group that they would like to put out of business.

PatMarlin
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
That's a good point.

And that's yet another great reason us Cast Booliteers need to keep our own recycling program intact.

Old Ironsights
08-16-2008, 11:45 AM
We need to organize with the Mining industry... after all, ifwe are the "dead end" they are the "live beginning", and we are burying it for them to dig up... ;)

badgeredd
08-16-2008, 11:53 AM
We need to organize with the Mining industry... after all, ifwe are the "dead end" they are the "live beginning", and we are burying it for them to dig up... ;)

That is a good thought and great way to put it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D:drinks::-D:-D

Baron von Trollwhack
08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Good thing pelosi did not think to tax our way out of the lead/ww speculation and profit taking bonanza.

I'll bet it takes me two years to convince Rusty at the alignment shop that he ought to only charge $5 and a six pack like in the old days.

BvT

crowbeaner
08-16-2008, 02:08 PM
I can already see some relief; I went to Gander the other day and they had shot for $49 a bag instead of the $63 they were charging 3 months ago. Still over priced by 50%, but we're gaining.

copdills
08-16-2008, 03:11 PM
thats some good news:drinks:

missionary5155
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Recycle your product ! I realise everyone may not be able to... But every 3 months I take the time to take my home built screen wire seperator and I dig out my fired boolits. I return the dirt and my 1 hour work gives me near all my lead back. I do have to purchase about 1 kilo every two years to replace those pills that go to unrecoverable areas. Oh the joy of having endless desert to roam about.