PDA

View Full Version : fail safe way to load reduce charge on a Dilon

canuck4570
11-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a Dilon progressive and I load my 4570 on it whit reduce load and has every body knows there is a danger of double charging this was my solution .... on my RCBS powder checker I intaled a swicth over the rod that goes up to tell you if you have the correct amount of powder and when I double charge the rod goes up more and flick the swicth on an the swicth is connected to a buzzerd wich is screwed to the wall and beleive me when this happens I think I on the Enterprise after they sounded red alert... If the rod does not go up because I did not put powder well I am safe but I have the problem of taking out the bullet wich lodge in the barrel....up to now none of the above has happen but I feel secure with this set up...what the cost of a swicth a a buzzerd compared to a blown gun and possible injurys.... Canuck

imashooter2
11-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Just about every blown up gun story I see on the net starts with ammo loaded on a Dillon 550. Auto advance is a great safety feature on a progressive. Absent that, sounds like you have a pretty good system worked out.

robertbank
11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I have had a Dillon 550 for about four years now. The best system I know of works whether you use a single stage or a progressive. It is simple. Develope a fixed procedure for your reloading and don't vary from it. For me it is simple, pull handle rotate the star place bullet on case in Stage 3 and place a new case in stage 1, pull handle.

Just doesn't get easier than that. Even a guy in MOntreal should be able to manage that. LOL

Edmonton vs Montreal 2005 Grey Cup

Go Esks Go

LAH
11-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Like Robert says: Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you seat a bullet with each pull of the handle, you won't mess up. If the case at station 3 has a bullet seated............don't pull the handle..........rotate the shellplate.

Throckmorton
11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
why not do what I do.I just run em one at a time,and rotate the case halfway thru the seating process.theos cases are tall and wobbly in the press and I"ve read that bullseye shooters rotate their cases for uniformity in seating.It only takes seconds,not minutes,to load a round this way,and if you screw it up,I'd suggest another hobby.:)

PatMarlin
11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
If you double charge on a Dillon, or any other kind of press/machine, you're not paying attention to what you're doin'.

Focus needs to be applied to that case when and after you charge. Keep double checks in mind.

I was dropping 24grs on 4895 in .223's on my Dillon 550b yesterday, and I had to wait 2 seconds for all the powder to drop in the case. Prolly caused by the small charge bar set at it's max. Dillon's need to be used properly and every caliber has it's quirks to the set up and process.

It's a fine- rock solid progressive when adjusted properly, and makes accurate ammo for shure!

joed
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I had a Dillon 550B for 2 years but gave up on it when it gave me my third squib. I have to many expensive guns to put up with that nonsense. I now have a 1050 and 650, both with the powder check dies.

PatMarlin
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
:shock: ...........?

JeffinNZ
12-21-2005, 04:59 PM
A friend of mine has a progressive press into which he installed a Lee through powder die with a plunger in it. When the charged case is run into this die the plunger pops up above the top of the die and he has a mark on it to show that only one charge is present.
Hope this helps.
J