PDA

View Full Version : Bear oil for patches?

Wayne Smith
11-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Couple of years ago my best friend shot a bear (with his crossbow) and called me and asked me what he should do with the fat. I told him how to render it and told him I wanted some. I've had it for over a year, and got it out to make some patch material for the flintlock - 40cal. I took it to the range for the first time and started using spit patches like I do with my Lyman Plains Rifle (.50). After about six or seven rounds it got hard to seat the balls.

I switched to the strip of patching material I had dipped in bear fat and rubbed off with my fingers. I found it easy to seat the ball and continued to shoot until I ran out of powder! No cleaning at all while shooting.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this and if it is typical?

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-13-2017, 03:10 PM
i tried bear oil and didnt like it, my accuracy at 150 yards opened up to the size of a soft ball. Not that great either with keeping the fouling soft. If its working for you however, keep using it.

OverMax
11-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Nope can't say that I have pilgrim. This far North a shooter/hunter has to be concerned with his choice of Patch Lube. Cold temperatures will turn most any lube into a hard material like substance. For my needs I use this: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/132/1/MINK-OIL

sharps4590
11-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Wayne, I acquired some bear fat rendered to lard consistency. I mixed mine with a little beeswax and castor oil and it worked as good as anything else I've tried in 40 years. I'm a bit reluctant to say it worked better and I definitely didn't experience your results. That could be because of the consistency of the "bear lard" I have and the oil you have. Be interesting to find out.