PDA

View Full Version : BSA Martini

cheshire cat
08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I have seen a nice BSA martini target rifle in 22Rf at a reasonable price, is it possible to a:- convert it to .22 centre fire--b:- use the existing barrel -as it would be for cast bullets only and c:- select a rimless cartridge as opposed to say 218 Mashburn Bee. or is the whole idea expensive pie in the sky? and ruin a nice gun:coffee:

mag44uk
08-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Speak to Jim Hallam on 01483 472718 www.classicguncompany.co.uk

Tony

dromia
08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
A big welcome to Cast Boolits Cheshire Cat.

Aye Tony is right Jim's yer man, he used to have a good selection of alterantively chambered Martini actions.

trevj
08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Martini's can be converted to CF fairly easily.

The ears on the lever control the height that the breech block rises, as the action is closed. By grinding and stoning off the tip of the ears, it controls the firing pin location. Fiddly, but not difficult.
It is best if the face of the breech block is then squared with the barrel. Anything from belt sanding, to dovetailing in a piece of material and re-drilling the new, smaller, firing pin hole.

I'm pretty sure there are designs for extractors that will work with rimless cartridges on a Martini, but IMO, life is too short. Use a rimmed case, and keep it simple.
If you have to do something as silly as trying to run a more or less modern high powered rifle round through it, look at the .222 Rimmed. Using the existing barrel, (which does not have the meat for the 222R) look at the 22 Hornet/K-Hornet . Maybe the 22 Remington Jet, or the 218 Bee. All rimmed cases. You are limited to the lightweight end of the spectrum for bullet weights with the rimfire twist. 40 grains or a bit less. Not real convenient to cast for.
.22 Hornet or K Hornet would be the best bet, IMO, overall.

Cheers
Trev

cheshire cat
08-16-2008, 06:19 AM
thanks Trev just the info I needed, I was thinking of Bee/ Mashburn Bee SuperJet/SaberCat for pref' or Fire Ball in rimless. Also need to keep costs down in view of adding to reloading gear inventory. p.s my daughter has a place in Canmore- hope to get there one day :-) cheers Nic

trevj
08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
You're welcome!

Sticking to the original barrel is somewhat limiting. The rimfire twist rate is not so great for the more common heavier bullets, and the bore diameter is not optimum either.
That said, there have been an awful lot of conversions to the small .22 CF rounds, done on rimfire barrels over the years.

Other options to look at, in CF are the pistol calibers such as the .357, which is supposedly about the upper limits for length of a straight case in the Cadet size action, or the 32 magnum and such. If you were interested in staying rimfire, there would be the two .17 rimfires to look at, the .17 Mach 2, and the .17 HMR, and there has been some talk that 5mm Rimfire Magnum ammo may become a readily available commodity again, with the popularity of the .204 driving the ammo makers interests.
The pistol calibers are really appropriate and easy to cast for, compared to the smaller bore. You would have to buy a new barrel, but could possibly recoup the cost by selling the .22 barrel unmolested.

Canmore is pretty country. I recommend the trip! I'm biased though, as I grew up around mountains, and prefer them any time to such boring scenery as prairies and waterfront ocean views. :D

Cheers
Trev

Buckshot
08-16-2008, 07:50 PM
............trevj, is worth listening to, ie: "The rimfire twist rate is not so great for the more common heavier bullets,...............".

The common 22RF twist is 1:16". The 223 used to be common as a 1:12.

...................Buckshot

badgeredd
08-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I have seen a nice BSA martini target rifle in 22Rf at a reasonable price, is it possible to a:- convert it to .22 centre fire--b:- use the existing barrel -as it would be for cast bullets only and c:- select a rimless cartridge as opposed to say 218 Mashburn Bee. or is the whole idea expensive pie in the sky? and ruin a nice gun:coffee:

Since you don't seem to care for the 218 Mashburn Bee, I'd think very seriously on the Hornet or one of the variations. I have 2 218s, one on a low wall and the other on a shortened 93 Mauser action (single shot) and they both are very accurate. A friend built a K-Hornet on a Cadet action and loves it..a little finicky but accurate. Also the 22 Jet or better yet the Super Jet are sweet little cartridges. IMO the nice thing about the "improved" variations is ones brass seems to last a lot longer. I am not sure but I'd really do some research before using a more high intensity cartridge like the 221, or 223. The 222 is suposed to be a medium pressure cartridge so it may be fine. P. O. Ackley felt that rather straight walled cartridges had less rearward thrust so they could be loaded a bit hotter. With cast pressure shouldn't be a problem...... my nickels worth. Edd

cheshire cat
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Since you don't seem to care for the 218 Mashburn Bee, I'd think very seriously on the Hornet or one of the variations. I have 2 218s, one on a low wall and the other on a shortened 93 Mauser action (single shot) and they both are very accurate. A friend built a K-Hornet on a Cadet action and loves it..a little finicky but accurate. Also the 22 Jet or better yet the Super Jet are sweet little cartridges. IMO the nice thing about the "improved" variations is ones brass seems to last a lot longer. I am not sure but I'd really do some research before using a more high intensity cartridge like the 221, or 223. The 222 is suposed to be a medium pressure cartridge so it may be fine. P. O. Ackley felt that rather straight walled cartridges had less rearward thrust so they could be loaded a bit hotter. With cast pressure shouldn't be a problem...... my nickels worth. Edd
no I'm not against the M Bee in fact it was the 1-16 twist that caught my eye, the other option I have is just to buy a 218 Bee Marlin classic but I don't see it as being a good bet vs single shot or bolt gun in terms of accuracy ---or am I misinformed-- cheers to all for the help so far:drinks: Nic

Antietamgw
08-19-2008, 12:43 AM
I have a Cadet in 218 Bee using a rimfire barrel. I've not shot any long bullets in it, mainly 225438 and 225450 as well as Winchester's 46 gr. HP. I'd much rather a rimmed cartridge in this action. Here's a link to an old thread and I'm sure a search would return even more regarding Martini's, possible chamberings and various barrels. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7275

Jud
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I have a Martini Cadet action with a heavy barrel in 218 bee, and a sweet weaver k10 scope to mount on it when complete. I need to make a stock for it. I have the walnut, but was wondering if anyone has a set of plans for building a stock for this rifle. I was looking at ordering a stock for $140 but I was given the walnut. Any ideas?

Parson
09-12-2008, 09:47 PM
RF 1-16 barrels were designed for 40gr bullets, no problem there are plenty to choose from. Having built a couple, one is 222R and the other in 17 Squirrel, if I ever do another it will have a very tapered case as the extracters are not the best, they will do the job but barely. My two favorites for another Cadet project would be the standard 22 Hornet (not K) for a small one, for something larger I would go with the 219 Zipper, just my opinion

trevj
09-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I am in the planning stages for a stock for mine. I'm cheap, and time spent in the shop does me good.

My plan is to find a decent side view picture and scale it up as best I can. Then work from there.

Do the through bolt hole, and the fitting to the back of the action first, and then the rest.

In my theory anyway. It might even happen that way! ;)

Cheers
Trev