PDA

View Full Version : New to Guns, New to Casting, New to here.

xyrth
08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Greetings, all!

I inherited a truckload fo gun stuff from my father-in-law when he passed a few years back, and just recently starting sorting through it.

Problem is, i started sorting and selling, and then i got hooked.

so i'm into t/c contenders :

http://www.xyrth.com/gunz/SA700206_Small.JPG

and i have a bench .22-250, which i enjoy immensly :

http://www.xyrth.com/gunz/SA700209_Small.JPG

and, i have a ton of casting stuff, that i have no idea what to do with. i'm not even certain i'm into it. I met No_1 through a t/c list, and he recommended coming here, and poke around for a bit. So, if i don't get into casting, i'll have some stuff to sell.

I'm not into revolvers, i've sold the .357 and the .38 special i received, what i do like is the smaller caliber stuff. So i guess my first question is, where do i poke around for info on that?

Thanks,

- Adam, aka "xyrth"

Echo
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Yo, Adam;

Welcome! You came to the right place. IMHO, this is the best site on the net. I suggest that you spend some time going back over archived posts, see the questions, see the answers, and you will begin to get the philosophy of boolits and their development, production, and use. The place is addicting.
You have some fine weapons with which to experiment/play/hunt/whatever, and equipment to support those activities. And the site has more expertise than you can believe.
I've been reloading for 40 years, and casting for nearly that long, but I have learned more about casting in the past few months that I have been on this site then I imagined.

Cherokee
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Adam

Great place to learn from . Like Ed above, I've been reloading since late 50's and casting from 60's and still learn things from this group, especially CB's for rifles.

monadnock#5
08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
That's an impressive collection of hardware you you have there. Your FIL would be pleased that you're putting it to good use. All the members here are pleased also as we know that there can never be too many (legal) gun owners.

As for the casting stuff, "SELL IT NOW!", or be prepared to go to a level of addiction you wouldn't have thought possible.

Welcome aboard.

Kraschenbirn
08-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Adam...

Drag up a rock and make yourself at home. I've participated in a quite a few online forums, discussing a number of topics, but this is...by far...the best (and most helpful!) group I've run across to date so don't be shy about asking your questions or putting in your nickel's worth if you feel you've something to add to a discussion.

BTW...nice collection of vintage TCs. What calibers?

Bill

beanflip
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
WELCOME

Come on in and enjoy! there is a lot of very good info here and the gals and guys here are just full of help in any way there is.

I LIVE TO FLING CAST BOOLITS

Yes the casting disease thats got me bad. I need more info, lead, more lead, ect (can never have enough LEAD!!! ). I think its spreading to my eagle eyed wife that finds all the brass..... shes becoming the Brass Queen.

ENJOY!!!!!

One thing to remember there is no such thing as a stupid question here!

Jim

Calamity Jake
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
"One thing to remember there is no such thing as a stupid question here!"

OOOOH yes there is!! How in the hell did get suckered into this in the first place!!!! [smilie=b:

But aint it fun!!!! [smilie=w: [smilie=w:

jhalcott
08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
welcome aboard Adam, your gonna like it here!

carpetman
08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
You need to repaint either your tool box or that one gun. Close,but not an exact match. You read and hear all time that you can't trust a guy that his gun doesn't match his tool box. Well ok,maybe you don't hear and read that all time and I just made it up. Probably not enough study done on the subject to know if any truth to it.

Scrounger
08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Never trust a man with lanolin on his fly...

badgeredd
08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Welcome and take from me as a relative newbie, these fellows (and gals) will help you out in your quest.

New to shooting?......great! These people can help you and if you just read the MANY posts you'll learn a bunch. You've happened upon the best forum on the web as far as I am concerned. You'll make friends here for sure.:-D

Oh yeah, please define small caliber. to some here a 45 is small!!!!!!!

dromia
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
A big welcome to Cast Boolits :drinks:

Looks like you've got a head start into this shooting lark. :-D

LAcaster
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
nice contenders what cals I love mine have a 357mag, 223 super14 and a 375 JDJ what a hand full of pistol welcome and have fun cast boolits lets you shoot more for less

Boerrancher
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I started reloading and casting at the early age of 7 with the help and support of my father and his best friend. Dad never got fully hooked on the casting part like his friend was, but it didn't take long and I was. Even as a child there was something to cracking open that mould and dumping out a nice frosty boolit. 31 years later I am still just as enthralled with the process as I was then. It is magic I tell ya, just pure magic. Even with all of those years behind me of casting and reloading, seldom does a day go by that I don't learn something new about our sport and the hobbies that go along with it. I am pleased to welcome you to this forum, it may not be the biggest, but it is the best.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Meatco1
08-15-2008, 05:29 PM
As a newcomer here myself, I can tell you I've received a ton of help on this site, especially from BassAckward.

There are years, and years of knowledge on this site, that is freely shared, and certainly welcomed by us new guys!

Welcome to the forum,

Richard

runfiveswife
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
welcome to the site. you will learn alot here and all the guys here are great to answer questions expecially runfiverun of course i am partial to him i am married to him lol
anyway any of the guys are really good and are all helpful alice

carpetman
08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Scrounger--"Never trust a guy with lanolin on his fly." I sure wouldnt have any information about that. Never paid any attention to mens flies and didnt know other men did. Now being naive about what's found on men's fly I sure hope there is no bad karma associated with beeswax on a mans fly. I recently bought a new pair of Carhartt pants and they had a heavy duty brass zipper that was stiff. Being that stiff matched the other accouterments in the vicinity, I was afraid there might be confusion and things get mixed up so I rubbed beeswax on the zipper.

WildmanJack
08-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Adam,
Welcome aboard. There is more knowledge on this board than you could ever imagine. I have asked some of the dumbest questions ever read and have never ( now watch what happens) been made fun of or harrassed ( ohh man now the trouble starts). So kick back relax and enjoy yourself.. It's a real learning experience...
Jack

carpetman
08-15-2008, 08:13 PM
xyrth----I did forget to say welcome. I noticed some of your scopes have a gold ring on them and must warn you about that. The gold on those scopes can cause all types of problems---more serious than lead poisoning. I do have access to a facility that can safely dispose of them and my disposal fees are very reasonable.

Scrounger
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Scrounger--"Never trust a guy with lanolin on his fly." I sure wouldnt have any information about that. Never paid any attention to mens flies and didnt know other men did. Now being naive about what's found on men's fly I sure hope there is no bad karma associated with beeswax on a mans fly. I recently bought a new pair of Carhartt pants and they had a heavy duty brass zipper that was stiff. Being that stiff matched the other accouterments in the vicinity, I was afraid there might be confusion and things get mixed up so I rubbed beeswax on the zipper.

I would have thought that zipper would have gotten a coat of lanolin PDQ.

BruceB
08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Since the thread has already wandered seriously downhill, let me tell y'all MY "fly story".

Back when I was 20, in the Mesozoic era, I was steady-dating a movie-star-gorgeous blonde gal. A total knockout.

One evening we went to a Ukrainian Social Center in Edmonton for a dance. Somewhere during the festivities with our friends, we managed to spill melted candle-wax all over my lap, most of which (but not all!) I managed to remove.

Later on, we were parked in a well-known "recreation spot" out in the boonies, when along came the Edmonton Police morality squad, two males and a female, sneaking through the bushes on foot and peeking into (steamy) car windows. They took my blonde to the cruiser for an interview, and left one officer with me.

After some preliminary protestation of innocence, star-watching etc., he came up with the money line for the evening:

"WHAT'S THAT WHITE STUFF ALL OVER YOUR PANTS????"

By George, THEN there were some desperate explanations.....

Oh, and welcome aboard, xyrth!

Wayne Smith
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Welcome, XYRTH! You have met a couple of our jokesters, if you hadn't already met them in other threads. You didn't tell us where you live so there is no way to know if any one of us is close enough to you to personally introduce you to the joys of casting. That is probably the best way to learn, this board is by far and away the second best.

We have experienced members all over the country and in more than a few other countries. Where ever you are someone may be within reach.

dukenukum
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the forum I have been casting bullets and reloading since I was 12 ( I am 43 now ) and I learn a lot from these folks . my motto is :castmine:

TCLouis
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Welcome aboard the "Boolit Express"!

So, tell us about the TC chamberings.

xyrth
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes! I didn't check on here for a day any my thread exlpoded :)

toolbox is snap-on red, it's by far the closest one, but i have 4 tool boxes in my garage, none of them match. but they hold tools well.

chamberings --

.17 remington (not shown)
.22lr (iron sights)
.221 fireball (mounted)
7mm TCU (gold ring leupold)
30 herret (t/c scope)

i had a .45 long colt and a .45-70, but have traded/sold those away. the biggun is a m77 that shoots .22-250's like a laser.

not pictured i have a couple 40+ y/o .22's, and a Mark II with some goodies on it.

time to go back into the garage, i'll be around more :)

i'm in the middle of house hunting, once i get that all settled out i hope to pick up an encore in .22-250 and .308, maybe more.

NSP64
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
i had a .45 long colt and a .45-70, but have traded/sold those away.

Welcome, Some around here may have had a heart attack when they read this. I like .22's also. There is something cool about reaching out there with a CCI subsonic and ringing a ram at 200 yrds. I just started casting/loading for a .243 rifle. I used to own a T/C contenderbut didn't like the grip,so I built a clone based on a .45 auto style frame in .44 mag:drinks:

testhop
08-16-2008, 06:52 PM
welcome ADAM
it is a great place to hang=out
and there a lot of things worse to be hook on
and more costly too

No_1
08-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I am glad you made it on board Adam. The Ladies and Gents here are a great bunch. You will find a lot of info, a lot of humor and a lot of friendly BS here. Try Benchrest Central ( http://benchrest.com/forums/ ) to get your fix on those tiny caliber fun guns. With a baby on the way you may want to consider casting for some of the bigger calibers as a way to save money.

Drop into chat sometime at night and say hello to the gang.

Adam and I have enjoyed some good conversation and trading so far and for those who will be doing business with him I can recommend him (I got the Bullberry 45 Colt barrel from him).

Robert

copdills
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the forum Adam:castmine:

Heavy lead
08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Welcome aboard Adam, I too have a weekness for the 22 somethings, have several and the sinful j-word bullets. But I also love a big slow moving chunk of splat when it hits a steel target at 100 yards too. What action is that bench gun based on. Loads? Twist rate? Accuracy?
Nice looking shooting iron.

Southern Son
08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome, Adam. There are some really great folks here, and some real weirdos (I have no idea of how flys ended up in this thread, but that movie "Something about Mary" was on here the other night, so maybe it is some type of divine sign, then again, it is most likely the number of rat bags we have that hang around here). I am hooked on the TC Contender, as well, only have one barrel, 7mmTCU, but I like shooting it too much so I am going to have to start casting for it before firing the blasted thing sends me broke.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Welcome aboard, Adam!

I've never had the pleasure of owning a T/C Contender or the similar single-shot variants. I'm a longtime revolver enthusiast and fancy the bottom-feeding stutter-pistols as well. Bolt rifles and leverguns figure highly in my gun safe as well. So--we can be indulgent with your early stages of hobby interest, and NOT say hard things about the lack of revolvers in your collection (yet).

The 22-250 is quite a cartridge, and Carpetman has had some good results with castings in that caliber IIRC. Small caliber rifles (under 30 caliber or so) with castings can be a real challenge to make accurate, but I've had some success with the 243 and 250 Savage--and a little positive work with the 223.

xyrth
08-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Welcome aboard Adam, I too have a weekness for the 22 somethings, have several and the sinful j-word bullets. But I also love a big slow moving chunk of splat when it hits a steel target at 100 yards too. What action is that bench gun based on. Loads? Twist rate? Accuracy?
Nice looking shooting iron.

ruger m77 mark 1, 1:12", and pretty decent. need to play at a range longer than 100 yards.

and yes, silly .22 variations have me all excited, i really want a .220 swift w/a 1:8" twist to see how far i can hurl some leetil bullets.

missionary5155
08-17-2008, 08:15 AM
WELCOME Adam ! I have been hanging around here a year and have been helped at every corner I needed to get around. Casting.. reloading.. this is a great place to hang about and get to know other GOOD AMERICANS plus fine folks from other corners of our rock !
Mike 11E20