PDA

View Full Version : sec vs tan ?

charger 1
08-15-2008, 06:06 AM
I've been looking at different ogive designs. I can understand how might each effect how the boolit starts into the rifling etc, but. Lets just say their both in flight, which handles accuracy and animal put down the best?

fourarmed
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm no expert on this, but I think if you list the factors affecting accuracy and terminal ballistics, ogive shape is pretty far down the list.

scrapcan
08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
coeeficient of form plays a role in calculation of the ballistic coefficient of a bullet if I remember correctly, so nose shape has an effect on the ballistic coefficient. so that should have some effect while dealing with external ballistics.

But my personal thought on terminal performance is that shot placement is the most critical factor. If you can not get the shot where it needs to be it doesn't matter how good your bullet is made or how the calculations come out. This may mean a person needs to hunt harder and take a closer and/or cleaner shot.

charger 1
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I think the above two posts then beg the question, why have them vary in the first place, if they dont effect ballistics, and its all about placemen, why gear up for different ones as a mold maker?

Willbird
08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
A Tangent Ogive bullet is heavier for it's length than a secant one with a given meplet dia ??

Bill

scrapcan
08-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I have been playing with the old dupont ballistic plates that came with the PO Ackley Book and that is where some of my info came from in the above post.

As to the reason why mould makers would gear up for both, most likely the choice of the purchaser. Many things go into a persons choice of purchasing one bullet design over another, some scientific and some not. And scientific also includes trial by firing, that woudl be a test.

GLynn41
08-15-2008, 09:26 PM
It also effects bearing surface- some designs will chamber in tight guns better--some will increase or decrease seating deapth --go to Mountain Mold and and play around with his designing program -- the differences between secant, Tan, and Truncated cone are there to be seen-

deltaenterprizes
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Some people just punch paper and want tight groups and do not care about terminal balistics.

Bret4207
08-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I think the above two posts then beg the question, why have them vary in the first place, if they dont effect ballistics, and its all about placemen, why gear up for different ones as a mold maker?

In simple terms, because some guys liked Mary Ann and some guys liked Ginger. If I get a theory in my head that a SC ogive works better than a TG ogive then a mold maker some where will gladly take my money and sell me a mould I want. Look at an older Lyman manual and you'll see a huge variety of designs. Some worked, some didn't.

montana_charlie
08-17-2008, 01:24 PM
if you list the factors affecting accuracy and terminal ballistics, ogive shape is pretty far down the list.

nose shape has an effect on the ballistic coefficient. so that should have some effect while dealing with external ballistics.

But my personal thought on terminal performance is that shot placement is the most critical factor.I think the above two posts then beg the question, why have them vary in the first place, if they dont effect ballistics,
Which of those two preceeding posts says that ogive shape does not affect 'ballistics'? Both of them speak to 'terminal performance' as being unrelated to ogive choice, but neither says that 'ballistics' is unaffected.
CM