PDA

View Full Version : Split Pea Soup with Ham ...

Reverend Al
11-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Made a nice big pot of Split Pea Soup with Ham today and I'm just about to make a couple of slices of toast to go with it and then sit down and try some of it. Of course I quadrupled the recipe so that I can freeze a bunch of it for emergency meals. It just felt like a "soup" kind of day ...

:grin:

Green Split Pea Soup With Ham

1/2 lb of dried green split peas
4-6 cups of water
1 Ham Hock or Ham Bone with meat still on it
1 bay leaf
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbsp oil
salt, pepper to taste

Wash and drain the dried peas. Watch out for tiny ROCKS in the peas …. they occur every so often and can break your teeth if left in! If you’d like to, cut off the ham from the bones, cube it and set aside. Some people leave it on and then cut it off after cooking, but cutting it off before will decrease the saltiness of the soup.

Heat up the oil in a large pot, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute more.

Add the water, peas, ham bones, bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Cook half covered over low heat for about 1 to 1.5 hours stirring occasionally. When you get near the end of cooking, you can add the cubed ham if you’ve reserved it. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Wayne Smith
11-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Just a note: 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon
1/2 Tablespoon = 1 1/2 teaspoons.

Gunor
11-14-2017, 12:28 AM
When using #1 of green peas and 8 cups of stock - I use 1# of ham - cubed/sliced.
I do soak the ham sometimes - lowers the sodium for me.

Reverend Al
11-14-2017, 03:55 PM
I also find that if you add the ham too early during cooking it tends to wind up very bland tasting when the soup is done. Better to add the cooked ham to the soup about a 1/2 hour before you plan on serving it. Just my 2 cents worth ...

bullet maker 57
11-17-2017, 03:21 PM
I add potatos to mine.

Reverend Al
11-17-2017, 11:31 PM
I add potatos to mine.

The more the merrier!

:D

WRideout
11-26-2017, 08:56 AM
LOML doesn't like peas, so I have to make small batches of pea soup. I like a little thyme in mine.

Wayne