PDA

View Full Version : (P.I.M.A.)"moon clips"

calsite
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Well just got into shooting .45 acp out of a S&W Mod. 22. Uhh! not so impressed so far. Ammo is either hard to seat in the m. clip or a royal pain getting out after fired, as well in the removal process bending the moon clip so next time it's loaded up it won't load into the cylinder. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there different qualities of M.Clips, I've spent $80 on California Custom Re and De mooner tools and am still having problems. I bought my m. clips on Gun Broker. Anyone out there tried the flexi-synthectic moon clips? maybe an option. but then I've got 80 bucks worth on Re/De mooner tools taking up space. I'm about ready to buy some auto-rim brass. P.I.M.A. !

MtGun44
08-15-2008, 01:10 AM
A friend uses one of these.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6727&title=MOON%20CLIP%20STRIPPER

I use one of the kind shown at the bottom on this sale pic. It is the U shaped
bent steel tool. Works fine, but may be a bit slower than the one above.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8574974

Bill

45nut
08-15-2008, 01:24 AM
The California Competition demooner works great, but filling the clips was indeed a PIMA.

So, after seeing something sold elsewhere I made up a re-mooning jig out of one half of a set of c-clip pliers and a metal stud thing rolling on my workbench that fit the clip and held it in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1060.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_1062.jpg

It isn't pretty but it makes refilling the clips a breeze.

Dale53
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I have a number of tools for mooning and de-mooning. I mostly use RIMZ full moon clips (polymer) that can be loaded and unloaded EASILY by hand. $20.00 buys you 15 of them.

I lately have been enjoying the use of Starline .45 Auto Rim brass. Now, THAT'S a solution!

Incidentally, I LOVE my 625's.

Dale53

Blammer
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
funny that it's called Auto rim brass for a wheelgun and not an semiAUTOmatic.

:)

bullshot
08-16-2008, 07:48 AM
FWIW---Look at the picture of the one sold by Brownells then go get a 1/2 npt pipe nipple four inches or longer and cut it like the Brownell's. Takes five min to make. Been using one for forty years in fact the same one. I have used the plastic moon clips and they are easier to load and unload but I haven't used them long enough to determine longevity.

imashooter2
08-16-2008, 08:13 AM
FWIW---Look at the picture of the one sold by Brownells then go get a 1/2 npt pipe nipple four inches or longer and cut it like the Brownell's. Takes five min to make. Been using one for forty years in fact the same one. I have used the plastic moon clips and they are easier to load and unload but I haven't used them long enough to determine longevity.

That will give you one heavy duty tool! Copper tube also works great. I like a broken golf club shaft is the best. It even comes with a grip.

90% of the USPSA and ICORE revolver shooters use this type of tool.

Dale53
08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I have a discarded golf club that I intend to make a tool from. This is just for academic reasons as I really like my California Competition Works demooner tool.

However, in all truth, I have been using the RIMZ polymer clips nearly ever since I got my original 625-8, and, for range use THEY are the way to go. I now have two or three thousand rounds through my revolvers using the RIMZ clips and haven't lost one yet.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I admit that I bought a couple of hundred new Starline Auto Rim cases, locally (paying a ton for them) and have been using them. As a result, I have ordered three thousand Auto Rims from Starline, direct, for myself and a couple of friends. THAT'S what we'll be using in the future...

If I were strapped for cash, I would just use .45 ACP cases with the RIMZ clips. I have been able to buy "first nighter" .45 ACP empties for a reasonable price but have to buy NEW Auto Rim cases. It all works out in the long run, tho'. With new cases a feller gets at LEAST one extra reload:mrgreen:.

Dale53

Bullshop
08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
So tell me fellas will your guns fire reliably with ACP brass without clips?
I have a 37 Brazillian that seems to perform just fine without clips. Just have to carry a brass rod to push out the emptys alla single action style.
I didnt have any clips and wanted to shoot it. Worked out OK so I never did get around to ordering any clips.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Dale53
08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
My 625's do NOT fire reliably without clips. That is not a problem with me as I have plenty of the clips and now, for general use, will be using Auto Rim Cases.

The up side, is the revolver is not picky about using bullets of different designs (452424 or 452644 as a for instance). I have a Taurus .45 ACP Tracker. It will work just fine without clips but is VERY picky about what ammo can be used. NOTHING can extend past the mouth of the case or the round will not chamber. It is a fine revolver that is saddled with this curse (as far as using cast bullets in it). I CAN use SWC but I must NOT allow the shoulder to extend ANY past the mouth of the case whereas the 625's are accomodating.

For the record, I wouldn't change a THING regarding my 625's (shot a personal best of 94x100 slow fire this A.M. with my 625-6 (5" barrel).

FWIW
Dale53

kirb
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I shot revolver in uspsa 610 and 625 I use brownells clip stripper and am able to load all clips for my guns with thumb pressure. bought the clips from brownells I don't know who makes them up until this year I averaged about 2000 rounds a month through the revolvers. Gas prices have cut me way back this year. Clips do bend mostly when stepped on or dropped to the ground with empty brass and a couple of loaded rounds.

Kirb

Murphy
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone have a link/vid of a remooner being used? Always been curious about them and would like to see it.

I like the one Ken made, and have seen a few production models as well, but always wanted to see a remooner in use.

I have a S&W 625 & a Brazilian contract 1937...great guns.

Murphy

imashooter2
08-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Never tried mine without clips, but the cases do head space...

Pavogrande
08-16-2008, 10:38 PM
My 1950 fires acp without moonies just fine - 1917's were required to fire acp without moonies.