PDA

View Full Version : FORMING 9.5x60 R Mauser

salpal48
11-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Anyone forming This case. I have been working On this case for a while using 11mm Mauser, brass. The problem is Bullets diameter In not consistant. . some Books claiM Dia is some place between .376 to .389.
. dies form out @.374

sharps4590
11-09-2017, 05:55 PM
What's the groove diameter of the barrel slug and the throat dimension of the chamber cast? Once the cases are formed would it be possible to have a correct expander button made or find one close? If the throat is tight a fella might be restricted to BP and soft cast bullets.

EDG
11-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Take measurements from the rifle chamber and bore. Ignore the books. The functional world is the gun barrel. The reference book is not the mating hardware.

If the dies do not work complain to the manufacturer. Get the dies modified or learn to work around the problem.
Few problems will be so simple that modern dies will be an exact remedy.

sharps4590
11-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Take measurements from the rifle chamber and bore. Ignore the books. The functional world is the gun barrel. The reference book is not the mating hardware.

If the dies do not work complain to the manufacturer. Get the dies modified or learn to work around the problem.
Few problems will be so simple that modern dies will be an exact remedy.

Ain't that the truth!!

ascast
11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
yes, I do this As I recall, mine is a 0.379 groove. Most any 38-55 bullet seemed too work OK, except the really big 330 grners. They would load and shoot, but not feed so well. I fooled with mine a while ago, going from memory here.
M style expanders can be made. I used (using) a 38-56 sizer to neck size.