PDA

View Full Version : 35 x 30-30 Loads??????

badgeredd
08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I received my barrel back today from Jesse Ocumpaugh with its shiny new 35 caliber bore. I put it back onto the Glenfield 30 (made by Marlin...looks like a Marlin...smells like a Marlin...guess it's a half brother to a Marlin) and I am ready to load up some of my 35 x 30-30 shells and it occurs to me that maybe one of you have already loaded this cartridge and you might have a load for me to start with. I am thinking that 10 gr. of Unique with a 358315 should at least form my cases but I kinda want to skip all of the fun stuff and get right to tuning a hunting load. SO gents gimme your recipe please.

P.S. I am like a kid in the candy store, can't wait for the sun to come up tomorrow so I can shoot my new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimkim
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Take a look here. http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w353030.html They don't have any light loads but they do have some pretty potent hunting loads.

JDL
08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
badgeredd, A wildcad I've always wanted. Where did you get reloading dies?
JDL

badgeredd
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
badgeredd, A wildcad I've always wanted. Where did you get reloading dies?
JDL

OK....I have the dies ordered from CH4D but to my dismay, there is a 16 week wait for them at this time. On the up side, I am only neek sizing to reload, so it's no reall hassle. Forming cartridges was a breeze for me. I used a 32 special set which sized the case and expanded the neck, then some 358 Winchecster dies to expand the neck to 35 caliber. If I had some 35 Rem dies, I'd bet they'd work even better. I did take some new 30-30 brass and run it through the 358 die without the intermediate step and had no case loss. Where ther is a way there will be a solution. Could NOT wait for the reloading dies so necessity was the mama of the invention! BTW just got inside from shooting and I AM impressed!!!!! With 10.1 grains of Unique I shot a 2.5 inch 5 shot group at 50 yds. with the first 5 shots out of the gun.....COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to get serious and work up a load............. pictures will follow.

Thanks jimkim for the link...that'll work.

For anyone interested, Jesse put a 3 groove rifling in that he says several have been happy with that shoot cast boolits. Add me to his happy customers list!!!!!!!!!!! It's a 1-15 twist which he said should keep me happy....and it sure is starting out that way. I have a pretty little lube star on the muzzle and a clean looking bore after fire-forming 50 cases with the above load. The last 10 shots were at 100 yds and I pulled a couple but still had a tolerable group without any load work up. This was with the factory sights, which in my opinion suck. Of course 60 year old eyes aren't as good as they once were but I am satisfied with it all, for now. New sights or a scope would help for sure. That's next on the list. after some hotter loads are worked up.

jimkim
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Your welcome. I'll keep looking. If I come across anymore loads I'll be sure to post them.

badgeredd
08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/

Hopefully I did this right. here are a few pictures to show you why I think today has been a success!

357maximum
08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Nicely done Ed, you can call that marlin a marlin....I call my mutterized glennfield model 70 that used to be a model 60 a marlin...basically I ended up with a model 70 with a spot for a ramrod[smilie=1: maybe I should call it a model 65 eh?

I shure would be curious as to what a large dose of H4895 under the rcbs-200 grainer or the 358315HP would do if I were in your shoes, I personally would have to go there[smilie=1:

What was the total cost for the re-bore? enquiring minds and all, them micro grooved 30/30 model 336's are alot like lice around here. Every shop has a few but most do not know what to do with em:twisted:

Good luck and have fun,
Michael

badgeredd
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Nicely done Ed, you can call that marlin a marlin....I call my mutterized glennfield model 70 that used to be a model 60 a marlin...basically I ended up with a model 70 with a spot for a ramrod[smilie=1: maybe I should call it a model 65 eh?

I shure would be curious as to what a large dose of H4895 under the rcbs-200 grainer or the 358315HP would do if I were in your shoes, I personally would have to go there[smilie=1:

What was the total cost for the re-bore? enquiring minds and all, them micro grooved 30/30 model 336's are alot like lice around here. Every shop has a few but most do not know what to do with em:twisted:

Good luck and have fun,
Michael

Well my friend, the TOTAL including shipping both ways was 264 and change. As for the boolits you mentioned, I'm shooting the 358315s now and I like! The RCBS is on order so I'll let you know on that. AND those nice 180s you gave me are already to go this afternoon yet. I'm thinking about a design like the 321297 or the 338089 or the 338320 scaled for the 35. Maybe I can get our designer to do that for me[smilie=1:.
As for the micro grooves in your area, we may have to work something out there. I have another brain storm (or a backed up fart) that I am thinking about convincing SWMBO that I NEED!

crabo
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
So what is the ballistic difference/ advantage between the 35 Rem and the 35x30-30?

Thanks,

jimkim
08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
The main advantage is loading with much heavier bullets.

"As a cast bullet cartridge, the 35-30/30 with its longer neck permits use of cast bullets as heavy as 270 grains seated to a depth that will feed through magazine rifles designed for the 30-30. This is not possible with the 35 Remington and its short neck. In a strong action, the 35-30/30 can be loaded to deliver performance approaching the 375 Winchester. However, in a strong action, the 35 Remington can be stepped up quite a bit too. It is possible to attain 1800 fps with a 300 grain bullet in a strong action chambered 35-30/30, which would make it adequate for elk or moose at short range."

35remington
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Based on the results I've obtained with the Lyman and RCBS 35 caliber bullets, I'm betting you'll find the RCBS to be the better shooter. You'll be leaving some of the long neck unused, which is why a heavier cast .35 of 250+ grains seems particularly appropriate. 1-15 should be up to it as long as you don't go super heavy in bullet weight or try light loads.

What you'll have is a .38-55 with better penetration. Not half bad at all, to my way of thinking.

Blammer
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I heard that someone made a RCBS 35-200 scaled up to what? 220gr?

that may be the ticket!

or a 358009... :)

badgeredd
08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Based on the results I've obtained with the Lyman and RCBS 35 caliber bullets, I'm betting you'll find the RCBS to be the better shooter. You'll be leaving some of the long neck unused, which is why a heavier cast .35 of 250+ grains seems particularly appropriate. 1-15 should be up to it as long as you don't go super heavy in bullet weight or try light loads.

What you'll have is a .38-55 with better penetration. Not half bad at all, to my way of thinking.

I ordered a RCBS mold today but I still want a heavier boolit at around 225 grains. Blammer is working on that. Kinda what I was tellin 357max. Jesse said there have been good reports back to him with up to 250 grainers too so I'd say you are right. I sure am glad you guys are here, it is an immense help to say the least. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

357maximum
08-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Ed...you need to get your hands on a 358009 <3589> original or copy, maybe even a 358627.......then you could line them big brown critters up 3 deep and take all of them of their feet.

and you have a pm.

Prodigal Son
08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Badgeredd that is what I was thinking of in my shop one day. I just didn't know what to call it or where to start. I see I am not the only guy out there. I love wildcats! Sweet looking rounds, and I'm sure you will make it drive tacks. It just looks deadly accurate! Good looking gun too! I have an old 35 REM, but will find a donor micro groove 30/30 to reincarnate!

GabbyM
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I've this 230 grainer on order from Mountain Molds. Designed with 358 WIN in mind.
It only has a .110" long bore ride section. No crimp grove.
Stayed with one lube grove to match my other bullets in this caliber. Simplifies the Star size die set up.
The idea behind this boolit is to extend the range over the RCBS 200gr which I already have. Hence the .570" nose with 57% meplat and .110" bore ride. That may be to long a nose for your 35 x 30-30 ?

I know some will say it won't shoot well without a longer bore ride. Well it's mostly for bolt actions with an intent to load it engraved and tight against the rifling. Then I didn't want to make it to hard to chamber while a hog was trying to run between my legs. plus a higher b.c. for the long shots. Guess I'll find out in a couple of months or so. Mountain Mold has a long back log.

Don't have my rifle built yet anyway. Anyone want to volunteer to help me test these out?

badgeredd
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I've this 230 grainer on order from Mountain Molds. Designed with 358 WIN in mind.
It only has a .110" long bore ride section. No crimp grove.
Stayed with one lube grove to match my other bullets in this caliber. Simplifies the Star size die set up.
The idea behind this boolit is to extend the range over the RCBS 200gr which I already have. Hence the .570" nose with 57% meplat and .110" bore ride. That may be to long a nose for your 35 x 30-30 ?

I know some will say it won't shoot well without a longer bore ride. Well it's mostly for bolt actions with an intent to load it engraved and tight against the rifling. Then I didn't want to make it to hard to chamber while a hog was trying to run between my legs. plus a higher b.c. for the long shots. Guess I'll find out in a couple of months or so. Mountain Mold has a long back log.

Don't have my rifle built yet anyway. Anyone want to volunteer to help me test these out?

I'd definitely be interested in trying some in the 35x30-30!! Do you know what the overall length of the boolit will be? Heck, I'll single load them if I can't load them short enough to cycle through the action. Besides I have a 356 Winchester AE, a 35 Whelen Remington Classic, and my Mark X actioned 358 Norma Mag. I'm positive I can fin at least one rifle to shoot them well.

badgeredd
08-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Badgeredd that is what I was thinking of in my shop one day. I just didn't know what to call it or where to start. I see I am not the only guy out there. I love wildcats! Sweet looking rounds, and I'm sure you will make it drive tacks. It just looks deadly accurate! Good looking gun too! I have an old 35 REM, but will find a donor micro groove 30/30 to reincarnate!

I formed up one of these little buggers about 20 years ago and decided ONE day, I'd build one. Since I got this cast boolit bug, it became a "gotta have it" so you see the results.:-D

GabbyM
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Great then. Sounds like you're set up well in 35 caliber.
The software tells me these will stabilize in a 1 in 16”' twist barrel. Which your Remington Whelen may have as that's what their current catalog list.

O.L. isn't listed on the design sheet. We are left to back figure that.
Length inside case is .386” which is close to the 358 Winchesters short neck.
Nose , as stated earlier , is .570”. Front band is .100”. Bearing length is .625”.

As I wrote. This mold is on order as of 8/6/2008 and the site says two month wait. So this is likely late for this falls hunting.

It's cut in their machine cast mold blocks which fit in my Magma Master Caster. That will give me about an 400 per hour rate.

Ye all say yea for me as I scored 1,132 pounds of wheel weights today for LTL market price. See pic.

crabo
08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Can a 35 Remington be rechambered to a 35x30-30? I guess that would be too easy if it worked.

badgeredd
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Gabby,
Great find!!!!!!!!!! I'm envious of your casting speed!!!!

Crabo,
I'll look see if it looks feasible. I'm thinking that the body diameter is quite a bit larger in the 35 Rem. You didn't mention the rifle brand and type. Possibly the barrel could be replaced (if it is a Marlin) and a rebore 30-30 fitted. As 357 maximum said, there are a lot of Marlin 30-30s out there and I'd think a barrel could be picked up cheap for a donor barrel.

Junior1942
08-22-2008, 09:55 AM
. . . .Ye all say yea for me as I scored 1,132 pounds of wheel weights today for LTL market price. See pic.Which was . . . ?

GabbyM
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Which was . . . ?

Here's a scrap metals price listing. Scrap index dot com.
Just click on mixed lead and you'll get a long list of different metals.
http://www.scrapindex.com/metal.html

You should not have to pay more than TL (Truck Load) price for anything.
However if they have customers waiting to pay more you won't get it bought.
Half the trick is to get the yards to even talk to you. They deal with so many people whom are a total PITA.

Metals prices are way down from just a few months ago. I was in their selling a trailer piled with 280 lbs of aluminum scrap. Asked about wheel weights hoping for a bucket full and they showed me a drum. Their is some trash pipe fittings in it but hey. Took fifteen minutes or so to get it purchased.

crabo
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Crabo,
I'll look see if it looks feasible. I'm thinking that the body diameter is quite a bit barger in the 35 Rem. You didn't mention the rifle brand and type. Possibly the barrel could be replaced (if it is a Marlin) and a rebore 30-30 fitted. As 357 maximum said, there are a lot of Marlin 30-30s out there and I'd think a barrel could be picked up cheap for a donor barrel.

Like a *******, I passed up a 336 35 Remington for $175 out the door with a cheap scope. It seems like you can get a 35 Remington cheaper than a 30-30.

badgeredd
08-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Like a *******, I passed up a 336 35 Remington for $175 out the door with a cheap scope. It seems like you can get a 35 Remington cheaper than a 30-30.

Crabo,
After doing some checking, I found that it isn't feasible to just rechamber a 35 Remington to 35 x 30-30. BUT after thinking about your question some more I started looking into the possibility of converting a 35 Rem to a new wildcat for cast or maybe an older one existed. Still looking into it because it does open up another possibility. I really don't need another 35 but ...what the hell, life is short and maybe I'll happen upon a super cartridge. Like you said, it seems that 35 Rems run a little cheaper in some areas than 30-30s.

By the way, anyone that was wondering about the reloading dies, well I got mine yesterday from CH4D, I hadn't expected them for another 14 weeks! The pricing is a little odd but basically they charged me $5 to modify a set of 30-30 dies that run $78 and change. In my opinion, not a bad price.

Hobie
08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
There is the .35 Leverpower or the .35 Rem Rimmed (using the .303 Brit or .30-40 case as a base). If you are looking for a long neck the .35/.30-30 is probably a better bet.

They were asking some ridiculous prices for Marlins (.35 and .30) at the gun show this weekend. $175 is a great price as it is less than some really trashed guns were asking.

badgeredd
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
There is the .35 Leverpower or the .35 Rem Rimmed (using the .303 Brit or .30-40 case as a base). If you are looking for a long neck the .35/.30-30 is probably a better bet.

They were asking some ridiculous prices for Marlins (.35 and .30) at the gun show this weekend. $175 is a great price as it is less than some really trashed guns were asking.

Thanks Hobie. I guess I'll have to look into the mentioned cartridges, just for fun (for now[smilie=1:).

GabbyM
08-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Well I have some of my 230 grain 358" bullets cast up.

Only by accident. This bullet fits in a 35 Remington. Bottom of front band to nose is .570". O.L. is .961".

Although It was designed for bolt guns the lack of lube grove is no issue. Simply find your O.L. And crimp into or under the band. In that way it only takes a light crimp to get a good bite where ever you chose. Hindsight says I should have used a longer front band to give wider O.L. Range before exposing the lube. Learn something new every day.

The software says this bullet will stabilize in a 1-16” twist. Which Marlin 35 Rem's have. Or at least the ones I looked up. One thing for sure is this thing carries enough lube.

Also would like to mention this Mountan Mold is the best mold I've ever had.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=138

badgeredd
08-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Michael,
I love the looks of your boolit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're makin' me rethink the design I had in mind.
Edd

smokemjoe
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Don Egan made a nice flat nose bullet for the 35 cal. also that would work great in a lever rifle.