PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Heavy Octagon Muzzleloading Barrel suitable for "chunk gun / over log gun"

bedbugbilly
11-06-2017, 08:39 PM
I am planning on a "chunk gun / over the log" muzzleloading rifle build and am looking for a reasonably priced heavy octagon barrel with round ball twist rifling. I just thought I would post a WTB here in case someone happened to have a heavy barrel they aren't using and would be willing to sell.

I am looking for a .50 caliber but would consider other calibers - i.e. 45, 54 or even 58.

I am looking for a longer barrel - anywhere from 40 inches to 48 inches and at least 1 1/8" cross the flats or larger such as 1 1/4", 1 3/8", etc. Round ball twist - example for 50 cal - from 1 in 60 to 1 in 66 inch rifling twist

Barrel can be used as long as the bore has good rifling and is bright.

The chunk gun I am looking to build will be a Tennessee style - full stock and probably flintlock or possibly percussion - haven't decided yet - and with iron furniture. These rifles are traditionally "heavy" rifles and not intended for offhand shooting but rather for using a rest - matches were traditionally held at 60 yards with traditional open iron sights.

If anybody happens to possibly have a barrel that would do the job, I'd appreciate a PM with details.

Many thanks!

Jim

kens
11-06-2017, 08:56 PM
call rice
http://ricebarrels.com/index.html

bedbugbilly
11-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks kens - I sent them an e-mail today and am awaiting an answer back. Appreciate your post! Thanks!

Jim

kens
11-06-2017, 10:21 PM
GMriflebarrel.com is a bit cheaper, but they dont go as heavy barrel as Rice.

bedbugbilly
11-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Thanks Kens - I looked at GMs site early today and they don't show much of anything in muzzleloading barrels. I really hate to see them cut bacon their production as I do like their barrels. I looked at a number of different supplier sites today and the selection was very minimal. What 1 1/8" barrels that di show up were either "out of stock" or 36" length. I don't want to use a short barrel - if I could find one that was six feet I'd really consider it but don't think that's going to happen and I would hate to think of the cost! LOL I realize there is very little call for a heavy barrel like I'm looking for - most that are 1 1/8" are 36" or less to fit the needs of a Hawken. I miss the old days when you could run across some good Large barrels, etc. - but hey, I'm old and live in the past too often! LOL :-)

Thanks!

Jim

bedbugbilly
11-08-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought "hen's teeth" were scarce but trying to find a heavy barrel from a dealer who has one in stock or getting an answer back rom a maker gives "scarce" a new definition! LOL

I was able to find a heavier barrel to use for the build thanks to a fine member here so can now put some serious planning in to the chunk gun build. Thank you very much to those that responded on here and by PM - it is greatly appreciated!

Mods - please close this post - thank you!

Jim