PDA

View Full Version : Electra

lunicy
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Has anyone seen or shot the CVA electra. Electronic ignition?? Seems pretty cool in a survivalist kind of way. No moisture/priming issues? Just curious.

frontier gander
08-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I was going to buy one until Colorado outlawed them.

Check your state regs.

I like the idea, handled one at bass pro and the quality was great and the barrels are supposed to be superb.

Always some politician screwing something up for us.

Kuato
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Hmmm, a battery powered rifle... Just remember, the more bends you put in the pipes, the easier it is to stop up the drain... Just hope your battery dont die in the field..

corey012778
08-15-2008, 01:42 AM
I was going to buy one until Colorado outlawed them.

Check your state regs.

I like the idea, handled one at bass pro and the quality was great and the barrels are supposed to be superb.

Always some politician screwing something up for us.

I think most states have band them for ML seasons.

JesterGrin_1
08-15-2008, 02:04 AM
I think in a very short time they will also outlaw all inline ML's. For ML season. Which I feel is a good thing as this season was meant for the traditional shooter.

Johnch
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I checked

In Ohio they are legal

They keep uping the number of antlerless deer we can kill
They even are ofering a bonus cheaper deer tag for some areas

Can't kill enough

Handled one
Seemed to be well built
Have enough toys

John

Freightman
08-16-2008, 10:21 AM
i think that they would be great as the primer is hard to keep in place on a rifle when the temp is 0 and your gloves are hard to get off, as for the battery always put in a new one before going out cheap insurance.

frontier gander
08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
One advantage i see is not having to fumble around with a primer and cold fingers. Also dont have to worry about (did my primer get wet or soak up moisture?)

For the right price i would buy one just to experience it before i judge it as a joke.

Kuato
08-16-2008, 03:29 PM
In the long run, changing a 9volt everytime you go out isnt "cheap insurance". I've hunted in 12 degree weather with plenty of snow coming down & had zero problems with both caps & flinters. Maybe I'm just lucky. I do tend to be a traditionalist with smokepoles & am not saying that the new system is total crap, just not my cup o tea. To each his own.

Besides, I don't like combining electronics made in China & inclement weather..[smilie=l:

frontier gander
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
battery lasts 600+ hours and thats when left ON.

most of us only have a 5 to 7 day hunting season.

Kuato
08-16-2008, 05:44 PM
battery lasts 600+ hours and thats when left ON.

Under ideal conditions. Very cold weather is NOT ideal. Like I said "to each his own".

psj12
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I just bought one to have in SS. have flint, cap and inline.

I have not fired it yet but did play with it some.

I was impressed with the size and intensity of the electric discharge when looking in the barrel. It appeared to be more of a plasma discharge than an arc. Made a pop noise with very bright light, not a click or zap as expected.

The trigger feels strange. There is no break point only spring pressure. I think it fires when the trigger reaches the end of its' short travel. I'll let you know after shooting it some.

357maximum
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I have actually thought about one of these myself just for the sake of being different and not having to buy a cap or chip a rock. Cva is offering $100 rebates on these too if I heard correctly. I just wish they looked a bit less star treckkkky.

An interesting read:

http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ml/electricml.html

peter nap
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
They're legal in Virginia and I expect a lot of people use them. I'll pass.

I love guns, all guns and that includes inlines. Inlines are not a new inventation by the way. There are examples of flintlock inlines.

I don't have a problem with people using them. I hunt with what I want for a lot of reasons. I purely love traditional rifles and enjoy hunting with them. There's just something unnatural and lamost unholy about a muzzle loader with a plastic stock and heaaven forbid, an electronic ignition.

Electronic ignition ML's aren't new either. I made one when I was 10 (about 50 years ago) with a flashbulb....remember them...that I broke the glass off of, and a wire hooked to it to a switch and battery. Worked pretty well with shot.

357maximum
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Peter

Yes, there is truly nothing new under the sun. I was thinking more of a SHTF frontstuffer. I doubt I would ever buy such a thing...but it is nice to have options.

I prefer my underhammer capguns some prefer rocklocks...whatever does it for you I guess.

I am actually working on a "mowrey X hepburn X marlin ballard" looking type underhammer frame myself right the moment..it is far from complete...but the parts are all in the box. The reciever is held together with pins...traditional....NO...but it will be different when complete...someday.

Maybe a large "patchbox" to hold the battery and a charged up hammer could fall on a blank nipple to complete the circuit....would make it look better.:kidding:

jbunny
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
this is my super fast misch metal flint lock. (magneiseum fire starter)
look at it frame by frame by moveing the cursor a little bit at a time.
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/?action=view&current=100_0185.flv

lastmanout
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I got one on closeout from my local dealer. $320 out the door with a $100 rebate if bought before Jan 1st 2010. So IF all works out I will have bought it for $220. The barrel is REAL smooth, and has showed promise with my 370 grain maxi ball load. Just for fun I tried a patched round ball and the ball would NOT stay seated-- not having a touch hole/nipple vent --- trapped air was pushing the ball away from the charge. Was using T/C Wonder Lube I will try a patch lube with less viscocity (moose milk). The electronic ignition is FAST, almost spooky. The is no 'twag' from the hammer spring. I have mounted a scope on my Electra- it is the cleanest muzzle loader going, since there is no vent hole= no blow back.
Lots of folks are gonna hate the Electra for the technology, but battleships have used electric ignition for many, many years. It is not legal for muzzle season here in PA, only flinters, but my county has so few deer and so many restrictions, I hunt Ohio anyway.
I plan to really burn a bunch of powder in this 'space gun' come summer. Will check back with results, Even groundhogs to 100-150yards if she shoots. I expect it to shoot well, good barrel, fast ignition, good ergos, and scope. We shall see. .