PDA

View Full Version : Lee Ram Prime & Lee #5 shell holder - hole diameter?

flashhole
11-06-2017, 07:14 PM
I want to buy/modify a Lee Ram Prime tool to seat 410 shot shell primers into plastic hulls. My understanding is a #5 shelll holder will work with 410 shot shell hulls.

Question 1 - Is there a hole that runs through the length of the Lee Ram Prime shell holder body that screws into the press? I think yes because the primer punch ram needs to travel up through it to seat a primer.

Question 2 - If yes to question 1 what diameter is the hole? Is it a stepped hole?

Question 3 - What diameter is the shaft on the primer punch(es)?

Question 4 - What diameter is the through hole on the Lee #5 shell holder adapter?

Question 5 - If you have a 50 BMG Ram Prime tool what diameter is the primer punch shaft and the head? Will the 50 BG primer punch fit a standard Ram Prime shell holder adapter?

At a minimum I think a custom primer punch is needed to seat the larger shot shell primer and the hole on the shell holder would need to be enlarged to allow the primer to go through it to be seated.

I want to use the reloading equipment I already have to load 410 shotgun shells. The problem is safely seating a new primer in the hull. Had one go off with the hammer method. Don't wish to relive that adventure.

mdi
11-06-2017, 09:54 PM
The ram prime consists of an aluminum adaptor that fits in the press, in the die position. This adaptor has a large hole through the center of the piece (I'm not in my shop now so I cannot measure it. The piece that holds the priming cup/stem fits in the shell holder slot of the ram. My first thought is how large in diameter is the shotgun shell primer and on the standard hardened shell holder, can the "normal" hole be enlarged enough to hold a 410 shell and have a large enough hole to seat the primer. Also a seating stem will have to be fabricated that will safely seat the primer and still fit in the ram attachment...

Good thinking though...

flashhole
11-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Somebody has already done it but it is not available. WFS, WTS ???

I will try and get some measurements tonight. Are the shell holders hardened steel? Might be difficult to enlarge the hole.

flashhole
11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Thanks mdi, I think this will work nicely. A couple more questions.

The ram prime consists of an aluminum adapter that fits in the press, in the die position. This adapter has a large hole through the center of the piece (I'm not in my shop now so I cannot measure it. - Question, how long/tall is the adapter?

The piece that holds the priming cup/stem fits in the shell holder slot of the ram. My first thought is how large in diameter is the shotgun shell primer and on the standard hardened shell holder, can the "normal" hole be enlarged enough to hold a 410 shell and have a large enough hole to seat the primer. The shotgun shell primer is ~.312" in diameter.

Also a seating stem will have to be fabricated that will safely seat the primer and still fit in the ram attachment... Yes, a custom seating stem is required. Question, how long is the seating stem and what diameter is the shaft?

My initial thought was to make a priming cup stem that fits in the shell holder and not use the Lee part, just have it sized to the hole in the shell holder and long enough to go through the adapter with the shell holder in place. ~.320" shaft diameter is enough material to be pretty strong. Sufficiently long to seat the primer. Don't need a cup to hold the primer or any kind of spring mechanism.

Good thinking though...