PDA

View Full Version : Ammo can for locking firearm for airline flight

NavyVet1959
11-06-2017, 05:46 AM
I'm taking a flight this week to Las Vegas and wanted to bring two of my handguns with me -- my carry gun (a RIA mid-size double stack M1911 that has been converted to .38 Super Cooper) and a .357 mag revolver for some shooting where I don't have to pick up my brass. The normal plastic hard case that I use when I'm just flying with one handgun will not fit both firearms. The larger case that will hold both handguns has such a large footprint that it ends up meaning that I would have to take a large suitcase to put it in and I don't need that much space for my clothes and such. So I got to thinking about just using one of the steel ammo boxes that I have. I was thinking it might be like the plastic ones and already have a place for a lock, but it didn't.

For my first attempt, I grabbed one of the 3/8" bolts that I had handy and drilled a hole in it for the lock, but it wasn't centered and ended up being a bit too close to the edge. I figured that once I enlarged it past the pilot hole stage, there wouldn't be much metal on one side of the shaft, so I gave up on that attempt. I measured the hole in the latch on the ammo box and it was 1/2". I didn't have any 1/2" bolts handy, but I did have some 1" round aluminum bar stock, so I figured I would give it a try. I used my carbide tipped blade on my power miter saw to cut of a piece that looked to be long enough -- maybe 2" or so. I then chucked it up in my mini-lathe and reduced it in diameter to 0.495", leaving a "head" on the other end of around 1/2". I then drilled a hole big enough for a lock on the end I had reduced to 0.495". I used a few different size bits to work my way up to a 1/2" hole in the ammo box and then taped the latch mechanism that I had created to the inside of the ammo box with some Gorilla tape.

Good enough for this trip... Each handgun was put in a neoprene case to keep them from bouncing around and damaging each other and the mags were put in one also. I'll revisit this design after the trip though. I'm thinking that changing out the two holes to rectangular slots and making a T-shaped piece of metal that would act as a hasp while allowing a bigger lock would be better. With this design, I'm just using one of the TSA size locks. I would prefer to use a lock with at least a 3/8" thick shackle.

I have around 350 rounds of ammo packed in the piece of luggage also. That works out to be just shy of the 11 lb limit that United supposedly has on ammo. The TSA does not list any limit on ammunition weight. I spent Saturday night making up some loads using the Lee 358-105-SWC mold so that I could get the most ammo within the 11 lb limit. I'm using 4.5 gr of Alliant Promo (Red Dot equivalent). I didn't see that listed in any of the reloading manuals, but I did see 4.5 gr listed as acceptable for a heavier bullet, so I know there won't be a pressure issue. My powder measure was already set for 4.5 gr from the previous reloading session where I had reloaded some .45 ACP and I figured it was good enough once I figured it wasn't going to be over pressure.

dragon813gt
11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
11# limit? Never had an issue and they've never weighed it separately. My weight limits for luggage are different due to the status I have w/ them. But I've never had a gate agent bring up weight restrictions w/ ammo.

My concern w/ the ammo can would be advertising. I don't want to advertise what's in the case. Pelican cases are commonplace so they don't stand out. Even when they have two locks on them. There's no guarantee that a gun or ammo would be in an ammo can. But I prefer to not take a risk like that.

OS OK
11-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Is this rig going to be a carry-on item with you inside the plane? I didn't catch that part...but, it being an ammo can and locked, I'd worry about it disappearing all together if you checked it with the luggage.

dragon813gt
11-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Firearms and ammo aren't allowed as carry on. They have to be checked. I routinely fly w/ firearms if the state I'm going to honors my CCW permit. I've had no issues. But the guns are in a Pelican case. Not an ammo can. At a minimum I'd place the can in my checked suitcase.

OS OK
11-06-2017, 10:11 AM
I haven't flown since they put those 'tards' with badges in there to feel you up or run you through the naked body scanners. I haven't the foggiest clue to the rules anymore.

NavyVet1959
11-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Is this rig going to be a carry-on item with you inside the plane? I didn't catch that part...but, it being an ammo can and locked, I'd worry about it disappearing all together if you checked it with the luggage.

No, as I mentioned inside the original post, it's for inside another piece of luggage.

I'm in Las Vegas right now. IAH's procedures have changed a bit since the last time I remember flying out of there with a handgun. Last time, I just had to show the firearm to the airline agent at the check-in counter and show it was unloaded. In this time, they walked me over to a corner of the check-in area and called a TSA agent to go through the luggage. All my careful packing was wasted -- everything got moved around. It looks like she was running a swab over everything. Checking for explosives, perhaps? You have to wonder about their logic though. If someone was going to carry explosives, why would they declare a firearm and bring attention to themselves. She nearly opened one of my 100-round ammo cases and spilled the ammo all over everywhere. Luckily, I had safety wired it so that even if it was unlatched, it would not allow it to be opened. There was a guy behind me checking a shotgun in -- he was going pheasant hunting in North or South Dakota. Pretty obvious what he had in the long gun case and it was not stored inside another piece of luggage like mine was.

All in all, it worked pretty good. They didn't even ask to see the firearms or check to see if they were unloaded.

I've noticed that open carry is more common here in Las Vegas than it was in the Houston area. The first person I saw open carrying was a woman with what looked to be a large frame revolver in a nylon holster. I've also seen a couple more while driving around today.

dragon813gt
11-06-2017, 08:43 PM
That's not the proper procedure. That was a gate agent that had no clue of the rules. The TSA should not be going through your bag just because you have a gun. This type of thing annoys me to no end. Thankfully I don't have issues like this when flying out of Philly or Harrisburg.

Grmps
11-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Luggage walks off at the carousel. I would think seriously about putting it in a plain looking securable hard case suitcase. I believe a larger suitcase costs no more than a small one if you don't exceede the weight limit, even if it cost a little more I would pay the money to conceal/protect my guns

NavyVet1959
11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Luggage walks off at the carousel. I would think seriously about putting it in a plain looking securable hard case suitcase. I believe a larger suitcase costs no more than a small one if you don't exceede the weight limit, even if it cost a little more I would pay the money to conceal/protect my guns

With a truly securable hard sided suitcase, you end up adding to the weight of the luggage and the payload thus goes down. For example, a Pelican 1615 weighs 14 lbs and I've seen other models that weigh up to 24 lbs. A running joke about the Pelican cases since they cost so much is that "nothing says 'steal me' like putting it in a Pelican case". And I'm not so sure that I would consider that Pelican a truly secure case since it's made of plastic and the latches could be easily cut with just a discrete hacksaw blade held in your hand without a frame on it. So, now you are looking at some sort of metal case that could be truly secure and it's not going to be that plain looking. Might as well stay with a soft sided case and put your hard case inside of it with your clothes around it giving additional cushioning from the baggage monkeys.

I prefer to just go the discrete approach. A standard piece of luggage that looks like pretty much every other piece of luggage out there. Definitely not a high end brand of luggage where someone might want to steal it just to get the luggage, not what is in it. Inside there, under a lot of clothes and such will be the locked hard case for the gun(s). In some ways, putting it into an ammo case might even be better since if someone was to steal it out of the piece of luggage, they would be carrying an ammo can and that might be a bit more noticeable. And forcing the ammo can open is going to take more time and perhaps make more noise than cutting a plastic case open.

And, of course, I have always been able to make it to the luggage carousel before my luggage has come off the conveyor belt and was able to see it when it first dropped out the chute, thus minimizing the chance that some other passenger might walk off with it by mistake (or on purpose).

Now, if I was *designing* a piece of luggage, I would give it a metal lockable compartment that was the full size of the bottom of the case and it had multiple keyed locks around the perimeter of the top. This would then be covered by a zippered fabric layer so that it would not be visible to a cursory glance. Above this, there would be the normal area for clothing. Maybe even put a dedicated area in it for ammo.

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Luggage is lost way more than it's stolen. Baggage theft is something that someone who doesn't fly all the time thinks about. Someone who flys all the time thinks about the carrier losing their luggage. It's one of the reasons I won't fly Southwest, they don't scan the bags and they have no clue where they are.

I use a gun to keep the TSA out of my case that holds my tools. They've damaged to many calibrated tools over the years. They broke two meters this year. W/ the gun in the case it's locked and they can't open it. While not truly secure it's a lot more so then either a hard or soft sided piece of luggage.

I admit that weight is of no concern to me. I'm allowed three checked bags at 70#s each. Even before this all baggage fees are expensed. Keeping the Pelican case under 70# is the hard part. But if I go over it is what it is. Domestically the charge is minimal. International is a different story. More because you can't have a bag over 70# when leaving some countries. Doesn't make sense that it was okay to take it there but I can't put it back on the same plane that brought me there.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a pretty good solution. You end up with a lockable metal box that's about the right size.

As for Pelican cases, they're extremely tough. They are heavy for their size. They scream expensive contents but sometimes that is a good thing (increased scrutiny from others). And of course, they are rather expensive. I think a Pelican case inside a piece of conventional luggage is a good solution but that doesn't get you around the weight problem. A Pelican case with a padlock through one or two lock tabs is about as secure as you can get for something that's very portable.

If the thief is going to use tools to open a portable container, all bets are off. I don't think you can really defend against that without getting crazy on the weight and at some point they just steal the whole **** thing anyway and open it later.

The lockable container for guns packed inside of checked luggage is really just there to comply with TSA & Airline regulations and isn't much of a deterrent to theft. I agree with Dragon, Lost luggage is a far greater issue than stolen luggage.

Speaking of stolen luggage, how many folks remember the original Halliburton cases? Talk about screaming "Steal Me" ! The case itself was probably worth more than what was inside of it.

OS OK
11-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Lockable ammo can inside luggage and then paint the luggage 'day glow orange' or 'kawasaki green'...it'd take a pretty bold thief to walk off with a neon sign!

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 11:15 AM
I've used a Pelican case for my clothes before. There's no guarantee that there is something of high value in it. Could just be something fragile.

I do worry every time I check this particular case [emoji2]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4503/38211048112_3e90664452_b.jpg

The case is max carry on size. It would be nice if I could place it in the overhead bin. No ammo makes them useless and I would have no issue placing ammo in my checked bags.

OS OK
11-07-2017, 11:21 AM
It looks like there's plenty of room to cut a new insert that would provide a space for at least a box of 50 rounds for each pistol.

I think we are always guilty of trying to put 3 lbs of stuff into a 2 pound bag.

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 11:39 AM
I can easily fit four, fifty round boxes in there. The center cut out is bigger than it looks.

texasnative46
11-07-2017, 12:40 PM
To All,

A hint: I fly fairly frequently & use an "old school", hard-sided, Samsonite 3-suiter (that I bought at a garage sale for 10 bucks) to transport my handguns & clothes. I generally also travel with a Swiss "mountain-climbers" rucksack, that fits in the overhead bin.
(The old dark gray/scarred-up Samsonite is really low-key looking & "unnoticeable" to casual observation, though a locksmith friend upgraded the locks. - The handguns are locked inside an army-surplus .30 caliber ammo can that I remodeled to make it difficult to open, without tools/considerable time.)

With just those 2 pieces of luggage, I've stayed away from home for as long as a month.
(I won't discuss here how many pieces of luggage that "D" routinely travels with, when she's on a business trip. = CHUCKLE.)

yours, tex

Wayne Smith
11-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Somewhat OT - I was at the range years ago and there was a guy shooting there who had a large four rifle case that was obviously airline capable. On the big case was a bumper sticker - "What don't you know about golf?'"

Elkins45
11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
I have a friend who travels for his job with thousands of dollars worth of camera gear. He tells me the best solution for preventing luggage loss is to check a gun inside it. Apparently TSA really frowns on having lost guns floating around behind the secure area of an airport.

They tell you they don’t treat them any differently once checked, but mine have often been put through a separate scan. They almost always are the first or last bag off the carousel.

NavyVet1959
11-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Well, someone was asking for a photo in a previous post (which I don't see right now, so maybe he deleted it), so here's what it looks like from the outside. It's nothing special since it was just a quick-and-dirty conversion, but it's probably a bit more secure than the plastic case that I normally use with just a single handgun. I'll remove the tape and take a photo of the part that I created on the lathe when I get back home. I don't want to fool with that right now since it's a pain to get it to latch unless something is holding the back of the locking part against the side of the box.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ammo-box-locking-handgun-case-640w.jpg

Of course, that wimpy TSA lock that is on it could be defeated with a quick hit with a hammer.

Elkins45
11-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Well, someone was asking for a photo in a previous post (which I don't see right now, so maybe he deleted it), so here's what it looks like from the outside. It's nothing special since it was just a quick-and-dirty conversion, but it's probably a bit more secure than the plastic case that I normally use with just a single handgun. I'll remove the tape and take a photo of the part that I created on the lathe when I get back home. I don't want to fool with that right now since it's a pain to get it to latch unless something is holding the back of the locking part against the side of the box.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ammo-box-locking-handgun-case-640w.jpg

Of course, that wimpy TSA lock that is on it could be defeated with a quick hit with a hammer.

Just as an FYI, you’re not supposed to use a TSA lock on your guns. You’re only supposed to use a lock that only you have the key or the combination for. If TSA wants to inspect the contents they will ask you to open it.

NavyVet1959
11-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Just as an FYI, you’re not supposed to use a TSA lock on your guns. You’re only supposed to use a lock that only you have the key or the combination for. If TSA wants to inspect the contents they will ask you to open it.

Actually, according to the United website, it says that if you use a TSA lock, it can speed up the check in procedure. I've never seen anything on the TSA or the airline's sites to say that you cannot use a TSA lock on it. On my normal plastic gun case, I use a pretty heavy lock around the handle. It's debatable whether good lock on a piece of plastic is more secure than a crappy lock on a piece metal. When I get back home, I'll redesign it to allow for a thicker hasp made from a flat piece metal so that a lock with a thicker shackle can be used on it.

The main thing though is that this makes for a pretty compact container to put inside of your luggage that will also easily accommodate 2 handguns plus a few loaded mags if you add proper padding for everything.

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 07:43 PM
TSA tells you to use a lock that ONLY YOU have a key for. You're not supposed to use a TSA lock. The fact that every airline and the TSA tells you different is a problem. The TSA wants no one to have access but you.

It doesn't specifically prohibit the use of a TSA lock but the language used says not to use one: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Those are the actual rules regarding transport of firearms and ammunition. Those are the ones the airlines are supposed to use. The biggest is misunderstanding is ammo and a firearm in the same container. Some airlines want them placed separately.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2017, 07:48 PM
As I said earlier, I don't think there's a lot to be gained by making the locking mechanism harder to defeat. The would be thief will just take the entire box with him and open it at a time and place of his convenience.

NavyVet1959
11-07-2017, 08:08 PM
TSA tells you to use a lock that ONLY YOU have a key for. You're not supposed to use a TSA lock. The fact that every airline and the TSA tells you different is a problem. The TSA wants no one to have access but you.

They're all supposed to be working from the same rule book, but my experience is that it is quite a bit different going though the different airports. I seem to remember reading on one of their sites where they were supposed to verify that the gun was unloaded, but interestingly, no one did that at IAH yesterday. A few years ago, I was flying out of an airport where they said that my ammo container was not acceptable and it could only be a manufacturer's ammo container. It was one of the plastic ammo containers with a separate square for each piece of ammo. So, I end up losing all of the ammo that I had with me. Somehow, that was not an acceptable container, but a lightweight cardboard box that just had loose pieces of ammo in it (i.e. no plastic or styrofoam insert) was acceptable since that was how that particular manufacturer sold their ammo. I complained to the airline, ATF, FAA, and TSA (figured I would cover all my bases to keep them from passing the buck) and they said that my ammo container was acceptable and they would instruct the agents of this. I've since noticed that the official rules on ammo containers have changed to allow such containers.

Not every airline has a weight limit on ammo, but United's site explicitly states that there is an 11 lb limit. But since the United agent was not inspecting the baggage, that makes me wonder how they will enforce it. The TSA employee was inspecting the baggage and she seemed more intent on running her hands (apparently containing a chemical sensitive wipe) through everything in the bag than with checking the actual contents of the bag. Besides, with each airline having a different maximum ammo weight limit, you can't really expect the TSA employee to know each airline's maximum ammo weight limit. But why is the airline even concerned with it since most of the weight is probably just the lead in the bullets anyway. They do have a limit on the maximum caliber and that looks to be around .75". Too bad... Otherwise, I would grab a couple of 30mm casing, fill them with powder up to the top, put a piece of tape over it, and call it a blank round. Then I would just have to find another workaround for the primers and I could reload at my destination. :)

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 08:17 PM
The fact that they don't all have the same rules is a problem. It does nothing to make you safer. Lately they've been flagging my backpack because I carry the spare batteries for my drills in it. They tried to take them at PHL. The TSA agents don't know their own rules. A supervisor corrected the agent but it cost me almost an hour. Like I said, it does nothing to make you safer.

OS OK
11-07-2017, 08:20 PM
These situations are what you can expect in the future since they place Morons in a position of authority.

This is exactly what happens when you willingly give up your freedom for so-called security.

dragon813gt
11-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Willingly? No one had a choice in the matter. I curse Bush every time I go through a security checkpoint. The TSA has done nothing but make my life harder. Thankfully I get paid for all of my travel time. If I didn't I would be very angry because you have to get to the airport 2-3 hours early to make sure you clear security and don't miss your flight.

Handloader109
11-08-2017, 12:08 AM
I've seen an alteration similar to what you did navy vet. If it were me, I'd cross drill for a simple cotter pin on the outside to hold the pin in place. I guess the other alternative would be to thread it and put thin nut on it, but that is a way harder thing to do.

edp2k
11-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Question:

As I understand it, the container is locked in order to satisfy the letter of the regulation,
and not to actually be a high security device/container that prevents determined, intense action from actually opening the container.

The true "security" in this case is in the airport only allowing access to the baggage by employees and cleared people, etc.,
because someone could just take the locked container, leave the premises, and open it later when they have time and tools.
Correct?

That said, since a typical gun "rug" has a sewn on "D" ring at the end of the zipper track where the zipper pull
can be threaded through and padlocked, wouldn't this suffice?

And gun rugs are slim and several can fit in even small luggage.

NavyVet1959
11-08-2017, 03:06 AM
Question:

As I understand it, the container is locked in order to satisfy the letter of the regulation,
and not to actually be a high security device/container that prevents determined, intense action from actually opening the container.

The true "security" in this case is in the airport only allowing access to the baggage by employees and cleared people, etc.,
because someone could just take the locked container, leave the premises, and open it later when they have time and tools.
Correct?

That said, since a typical gun "rug" has a sewn on "D" ring at the end of the zipper track where the zipper pull
can be threaded through and padlocked, wouldn't this suffice?

And gun rugs are slim and several can fit in even small luggage.

From a practical standpoint, it would provide just as much "security", but the rules explicitly say a "locked hard-sided container".

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

There's an issue with locked zippers being able to be opened with a ballpoint pen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

If your luggage has a place where the zipper pulls can be locked into position, then you can at least make it a lot more difficult for them to do this and it not be noticed. They could still open the bag, but the zipper could not be reassembled and it would be obvious that it had been tampered with.

What originally gave me the idea of making a locking mechanism for an ammo can and using it for flying was that I had seen a foam insert at Academy Sports on Sunday when I was buying the 100-round ammo boxes. Something like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51hLTPTsJdL._SY355_.jpg

I couldn't remember what size ammo cans that I had, so I didn't buy it. I figured that the neoprene tablet covers that I already had would work well enough and if necessary, I could add more padding by moving my socks in there. Also, if you have the type of ammo can as pictured in the above image, you will see that the hole in the latch is quite a bit larger than the one that is in mine, so if you were wanting to modify that type of ammo can, you would need to come up with a different locking mechanism. You could probably still use something similar, but you would need a metal plate that could cover that opening (and overlap it some) to act as a big fender washer and then put the lock outside of that.

woodbutcher
11-09-2017, 10:07 PM
:veryconfu Don`t even get me started on what the initials TSA stand for:twisted:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

NavyVet1959
11-15-2017, 02:26 AM
Well, I made it back from Las Vegas. Didn't spend a single cent at any of the shows, bars, or gambling. I did end up buying a buffet meal at the hotel I was at, but only because they had a 50% off deal for vets for Veteran's Day. Spent a bit of time out in the desert shooting though. So far, the best place I've found is off to the northwest of Las Vegas, off of US-95, off of Cold Creek Road.

Basically, head to 36°31'25.5"N 115°32'53.9"W and turn WSW on Cold Creek Road.
Continue SW past the correctional facilities until you get to 36°28'51.0"N 115°37'36.3"W.
Turn a *very* sharp right turn towards the NNE on a dirt road / trail.
There's quite a few different shooting areas around here:
36°30'02.4"N 115°37'30.5"W
36°29'21.6"N 115°38'38.0"W is the end of the road.

I met a guy who was doing 1600 yd shots, IIRC. I'm not sure, but I think to do those shots, he might be shooting over the heads of the people in the valley that are shooting at the pistol areas.

You are *supposed* to clean up your brass and targets afterwards, but there was a lot of trash that people had brought out there and shot. Everything from fire extinguisher tanks to TV sets to water heaters. I ended up collecting about 3 2-liter bottles of .223 and miscellaneous handgun brass that was in still shiny, so it had been shot pretty recently. Also collected a Wal-Mart bag full of some fresh fired 12-gauge hulls.

I collected enough that even though I had shot all my ammo during the trip, my luggage weight increased enough that I had to move 8 lbs of brass from my luggage to my wife's luggage. My bag was 49.5 lbs and her's was 48.5 lbs after the shuffling. Interestingly, the TSA supervisor that I spoke with said that I could have brought the brass onboard the aircraft in my carry-on luggage.

Another place on the SW side of Las Vegas where I shot earlier in the week was:

35°59'53.4"N 115°35'53.9"W

Elkins45
11-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Actually, according to the United website, it says that if you use a TSA lock, it can speed up the check in procedure. I've never seen anything on the TSA or the airline's sites to say that you cannot use a TSA lock on it. On my normal plastic gun case, I use a pretty heavy lock around the handle. It's debatable whether good lock on a piece of plastic is more secure than a crappy lock on a piece metal. When I get back home, I'll redesign it to allow for a thicker hasp made from a flat piece metal so that a lock with a thicker shackle can be used on it.

The main thing though is that this makes for a pretty compact container to put inside of your luggage that will also easily accommodate 2 handguns plus a few loaded mags if you add proper padding for everything.

I realize it doesn’t matter now, but this is what TSA says:

Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.

United can’t overrule TSA, nor can any other airline. In my case it doesn’t matter because I bought one of these Snap Safe metal containers from Amazon and it doesn’t have a TSA lock. I can fit my Kahr P9, holster, spare mag and a 20 round box of ammo inside it and loop the metal cable around the internal suitcase frame to lock it.

So far, so good.

Plate plinker
11-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Nice boxes fellas.

As for the TSA blah..... What a bunch of mass incompetence. I really liked it when my wife had to drink her own milk. Last trip was just myself and the kids, that trip they tossed the juice box my son drinks but daughters was in plain sight. They said his was over the size limit even though daughters juice was bigger.

Mal Paso
11-24-2017, 09:51 PM
I cheated and used an off the shelf product. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH93DKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was down to hand tools at the time. This will take a heavy duty lock.

NavyVet1959
11-25-2017, 04:19 AM
I cheated and used an off the shelf product. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH93DKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was down to hand tools at the time. This will take a heavy duty lock.

That's basically what I was thinking about for version 2...

Mal Paso
11-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Someone here in the USA is making brand new Ammo Cans. Ammo Can Man I think. I bought the 2 packs at Costco and "Fat 50s" from Amazon. They are well made and Fully Air Tight. I used Silicone under the eyebolts to maintain that seal. One is a gun case, two of them are camera cases. The locks I used are big enough to take a large aircraft cable to secure them to car, truck or tractor. I had the Nikon in one when I was running the rapids last Winter on the tractor.

texasnative46
12-10-2017, 07:02 PM
To All,

I reread my previous post & should add that my "redneck gun box" is a 5.56 ammo can with a hole bored through it to fit a Master "removable shackle" padlock (I think it was made for securing bikes.) & padded with a scrap of carpet.. = Never had a problem with TSA in all my airline travels with it over 15+ years, while carrying a pair of handguns & boxed ammo.
(I have had several TSA folks, who said that they would "copy my box".)

yours, tex