PDA

View Full Version : Lube hardening

carstensxd45
11-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, haven't posted in a long time, but need some help. Am using the Fluidmaster toilet bowl wax rings for my lube. Very easy to apply with my Star, however, it is very messy. sticky and tacky, end up having to wipe down each round after loading it. very time comsuming!! does great job as a lube, no leading at all but just tired of the tedious process of cleaning up the mess.. My question is this, what can I add to the wax to harden it up? Maybe add some color? Already have the molds for the lube, it is on my Youtube account, Carstensxdm45, Just need to avoid the mess and save some time. Am about out of the lube, will need some soon.
Appreciate any help.

Rcmaveric
11-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Just about any wax will harden it. Paraffin wax, Bee's wax, carnauba wax should all work nicely. Crayons are also made of paraffin wax and could add some color to it. Any of the dyes for candle wax will work. Oil based, I believe the dyes need to be so it will mix with wax. Personally I would add the wax from a cheese wrapper or makers mark lable (carnauba wax) doesn't take much at all just a little bit. Then finnish hardening up with bee's wax. slowly, a little bit at time. The touch of carnauba wax will add a nice polished shine to the barrel.

runfiverun
11-05-2017, 09:54 PM
any wax will harden it but they will come with side affects.
you get a faster flow or a more liquid flow under pressure.
you lose that flow or lose it at lower temperatures.

if you just want to firm up the lube, Bees-Wax is your best bet.
10% will be noticeable.

randyrat
11-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I subscribed to your channel...You have a bunch of videos to check out, LOTS!.

PM me and I can set you up with some samples of products to harden lubes up.

R5R is right, making lube work is like being on a Tedder Todder too much this or that and your not balanced anymore

Guys just go to YouTube and search for Carstensxdm45. I'm impressed

Dusty Bannister
11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
If you think that Makers Mark is Carnuba wax, do a search on the topic or read this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?144805-Is-Makers-Mark-seal-carnuba

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-08-2017, 11:36 AM
SNIP...

Personally I would add the wax from a cheese wrapper

The problem with this, if your lube is successful, it may be tough to re-create the recipe due to the being different from cheese to cheese...unless you buy a lot of one manufacturer (and hope they don't change their wax recipe).

I'd suspect most Cheese wrapper wax is a type of food grade micro-wax. I like my cheese, and most of it isn't packaged in wax. But recently, I bought some aged cheddar made in Ireland, it was wrapped in wax, it was tacky like beeswax, but not nearly as tacky as pure beeswax. I saved it from the 3 small rolls I bought. I suspect it's Micro-wax with Beeswax added, or some other tacky ingredient added? Maybe to allow the adhesive label to stay put. I have no idea if I'll ever use it for a lube ingredient, but who knows? I'll save it anyway.

henry8734
12-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, haven't posted in a long time, but need some help. Am using the Fluidmaster toilet bowl wax rings for my lube. Very easy to apply with my Star, however, it is very messy. sticky and tacky, end up having to wipe down each round after loading it. very time comsuming!! does great job as a lube, no leading at all but just tired of the tedious process of cleaning up the mess.. My question is this, what can I add to the wax to harden it up? Maybe add some color? Already have the molds for the lube, it is on my Youtube account, Carstensxdm45, Just need to avoid the mess and save some time. Am about out of the lube, will need some soon.
Appreciate any help.I too am using the wax rings with great success. But same problem as well. Please let us know what route you go... bees wax and crayons have my interest the most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

carstensxd45
12-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Henry8734
went a different direction. tried recipe from YouTube
Fortunecookie45lc. used my tubes for the molds. worked out better will do a video on it soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nh7792
12-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Carnuba wax will work to get it stiffer, but if money is tight old candles and crayons will do the trick also.

carstensxd45
12-25-2017, 01:03 AM
https://youtu.be/_UqGue0FnLc
see my video on the lube

BTW, in the video, I had already used several of the blue sticks of lube, my total count of lube sticks is correct.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-25-2017, 08:24 PM
https://youtu.be/_UqGue0FnLc
see my video on the lube

BTW, in the video, I had already used several of the blue sticks of lube, my total count of lube sticks is correct.
I watched the video,
No Beeswax ?

carstensxd45
12-26-2017, 07:45 AM
no. no beeswax. works good without it

henry8734
12-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Henry8734
went a different direction. tried recipe from YouTube
Fortunecookie45lc. used my tubes for the molds. worked out better will do a video on it soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TapatalkNice job on the vid carstensxd45, I'm thinking of adding some crayons to my wax ring lube the next time I am around the loading bench. Your lube looks good! If be excited to try it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

carstensxd45
12-26-2017, 12:15 PM
sized and lubed about 6000 9mm rounds 2 weeks ago
had no problem
got something to help regulate the temperature on my lube heater
the rounds shot great with the new lube with no leading so far
probably will do a video on it soon

Pumpkinheaver
12-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Sound like you have it figured out.

carstensxd45
12-27-2017, 11:13 AM
it works for me. if it helps out someone else that is great

Mr_Sheesh
12-30-2017, 01:00 AM
I've wondered if Stearic Acid would help for lubes that get melty in Summer...