PDA

View Full Version : Lee improved minnie

rusty marlin
08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/blackpow.html

I was thinking the improved .454 - 293 would make a great .45Colt boolet.
Anybody try this? Plenty of lube carrying ability, hollow base for good seal, and enough weight to put down anything I'd have mind to hunt with a revolver.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I have one of these moulds (.450) that I cast for my muzzle loader. I think the OAL of the bullet would be too much. I would also be conserned about the skirt being to thin and separating. But, Im no expert, give it a try with caution and let us know the results.

Regards
Everett

prs
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Rusty!

I done it before. Its one of the boolit designs I tinkered with en route to designing the PRS 45 Colt boolit. Thar be not much room fer da boom. I was able to pack only about 23 grains of ffg under/in it (hollow base). But, it shot well for close range out of the Marlin rifles, but low velocity for sure. But, it is slow to cast and dufficult to cast perfectly and did not shoot as well as the 454 diameter Maxi Ball. The Maxi was also slow to cast and also took-up lots of case room; but it sure shot well! I did not like the Maxi's pointed metplat, but was able to rig up a steel ball bearing onto a top punch that let me "bump" it to a shallow hollow-point as I lubed it. Cuts Crooked came up with a modification to his mold to achieve a similar thing. Anyways, after all the 'speriment'n, I stole the best of the design features and had the PRS made. You get full house loads, heavy flat base, big ole lube canyons, Accurate, flat metplat, and casts realy fast and easy.

But, give it try and find out fer yer own self.

prs

rusty marlin
08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I was thinking of loading this for my Redhawk crimped in the first lube groove; provided I can get that COL in the cylinder it should get me some extra room in the case. If I can get 20-25grains of Win296 under it, it should be a real shooter.

Its one of 16 molds I just bought in a lot. If it works out, great, if not, I'll resell it.

I like that ball bearing idea for a dished metplat, mind if I borrow that?

prs
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Go fer it! Works real well, even with WW alloy. To get a perfect center, simply use a flat based top punch with a rim around it -- like we use for most RNFP 452/454 boolits. Grind a flat spot on the ball bearing so that it does not bottom out on the base of the top punch, but rather seats on the rim -- that is the still rounded surface of the ball on the rim -- just enough JB Weld under the ball to stick it. I use a Lyman 450 and no strain A-Tall. The hollowed Maxi looks wicked for sure!

prs