PDA

View Full Version : ALOX/beeswax for BP plinking loads?

strangwn
08-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Is there anything wrong with using the standard 50/50 ALOX/beeswax lube for BP loads? I'm not talking about serious shooting, only plinking. Can't seem to find a quick answer anywhere.

Don McDowell
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
It probably won't hurt anything. If you get a lot of tarry looking goo in the bore , that gets hard in short order, then you can figure you have to much alox.
I have shot 45-70 rounds loaded with bp and lees liquid alox for bullet lube, was a nasty mess to clean up , had to scrub the the chamber throat after every couple of shots so the next round would chamber ok,but accuracy wasn't bad.

KCSO
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes in 5 shots or less the gun will be fillled with tarry fouling and the bullets will start going south. Alox is NOT compatable with B/P. If you want to swab every shot you can use up some already lubed that way but you really want a good B/P lube. If you are on the cheap try sheeps tallow and bees wax.

Don McDowell
08-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Should point out here that not all "alox" is created equal. Harlan and Wendy Sage's Sagebrush alox lube, is probably one of the finest bp lubes available commercially, and is priced well within the workin mans budget....
The old Ideal NRA beeswax and alox lube has a bit more petrochem in it, and makes wiping after every shot almost mandatory in bp loads.

13Echo
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Make your own BP lube and pan lube. An easy one is half and half beeswax and a good vegetable oil like canola or olive. Emmert's is easy to make with Beeswax, Crisco and vegetable oil. Pan lubing is easy and the results with BP are much better than Alox lube.

Jerry Liles

Old Ironsights
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok... I now refer y'all back to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32691

Color me confused...

13Echo
08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
If you will notice on the previous thread the shooters using BP subs had no problem with Lee Liquid Alox, while the BP shooter patched after every shot. Get or make a good BP lube and avoid the potential problems.

Jerry Liles

chuebner
08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I've used my own version of Emmert's lube for years on all my 45-70 boolits. Works great for both real BP and smokeless. Saves the problem of having to use different lubes based on the type of powder.

Charlie

Cactus Farmer
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Make up your own lube thus; Aquire a bucket full of sheep tallow from the rear not the belly of the sheep.Render same,filter and mix with beeswax 50/50.
Fired a 38/55 and 40/65 over 100 shots each,blow tube only and cleaned up with three patches of 1/3 Murphy oil soap,1/3 denatured (ethanol) alcohol, 1/3 hydrodgen peroxide. Make a lot of this,great cleaner.
(the lube is good forming lube for 45/70 to 40/65 too. A small dab and it's done in one pass,ready to trim and load!

EDK
08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Go to the links at the bottom of the page for LARS45'S LS STUFF. He makes an excellent black powder lube (and smokeless stuff too!) for about 1/3d the price of the other brands. I've been using it in my 50/90 SHILOH SHARPS for the last two years and am considering using it for smokeless pistol loads also...Mike Venturino supposedly uses SPG for all his cast boolits and has good results.

LARS is a good guy and has an excellent product at a bargain price. Anybody else is a second choice. Why pay more for something that is "just as good"...at best!

I haven't used 50/50 ALOX lubes with black powder, but heard so many horror stories that I am not going to tempt fate. I cleaned after each 8 round target at the Quigley and had good results. Four out of eight on the 800 yard buffalo target was a personal best....I get hyper and don't do worth a d---- in competition!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

strangwn
08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone for all the generous advice.

Mike Venturino
08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Not "supposedly." He does, and has since 1986.

MLV

strangwn
08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Mike,
Thanks for honoring us with your presence on my thread. I really enjoy your writing. Sending PM.

ra_balke
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
The classic BP lube is about a 50/ 50 mix of bee wax, and neets foot oil. ( not neets foot compound !! )

When I need a BP lube, that is what I go to.

Were I you, I would go with this formula above all others, and regulate the needed hardness of the lube by the amount of bee wax.

Also this makes a..... really really....... fine full length case sizing lube for re loading.,

charger 1
08-24-2008, 04:53 AM
I guess I kinda step out of bounds on this. My mix for snider 57 has settled on 2 parts beeswax,2 parts canola,1 part lee alox. Shoot all day accurately

That is, if ya can hang on to the little suckers