PDA

View Full Version : Titegroup

4060MAY
11-18-2005, 11:23 PM
check this out

http://iris.nyit.edu/~bithead/anaconda/

robertbank
11-18-2005, 11:59 PM
You Sir are a very lucky man. Thank you for having enough balls to post this tradgedy. A reminder for all of us to take nothing for granted either in our reloading or in our lives. Tomorrow is promised to no man.

STay Safe

Johnch
11-19-2005, 01:18 AM
WOW !!

I am glad you are OK

Johnch

David R
11-19-2005, 10:52 AM
4060may,

Thursday night at the sporter rifle match I saw that web page. What exactly did happen? One shooter deemed it a plugged barrel. I have no idea.

thank you
David

4060MAY
11-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Wasn't me. I was just passing it along.
If you read the article the shooter seems to think he double charged a cartridge.
not sure how you would do that on a dillon press

Chuck

mag_01
11-19-2005, 01:18 PM
:groner: Glad ur ok--Somthing similar happened to me with a winchester 30-30 was loading 160 gr. lead with Unique-11 grs.1 or 2 rounds where ok then when I pulled the trigger the gun shook violently in my hands I felt funny and scared when i looked at my hands they where red and stung like hell when I got my act togther I ejected the round -- case had seperated and most of it was in the chamber --- metal was torn on the gun but it stayed togther (thank God it was pistol powder)---rifle was unuseable ---- Headspace--It was a double charge---opened other cartridges and they where ok.

4060MAY
11-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Bottom line is . when using really small charge in a large case.
one powder charge, one bullet, seat the bullet. do next case.

Paul Mathews was adament about this when loading unique in a 45-70

Chuck

fecmech
11-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Years ago while shooting PPC a fellow next to me had the same thing happen to a K-38 except the top strap left the gun, other than that it looked exactly the same. He had just gotten a new progressive loader and had been having trouble with the advance on the machine. S&W rebuilt the gun with a new frame for cost at the time (mid 70's) and he was a happy camper.

swheeler
11-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Exactly the reason I never shoot someone elses reloads! Buckshot posted a picture of a springfield he blew up on the old board, hard to imagine someone didn't loose a finger or eye! Gods good graces! How would you like to be standing next to this guy when this happened?

fecmech
11-19-2005, 09:12 PM
How would you like to be standing next to this guy when this happened?
I was next to the K38 when it let go and was lucky, just a small cut on my face from shrapnel. Nobody else on the line got hit with anything. Nick

johniv
11-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Glad you were not hurt... I was standing behind a gent who did the same thing to a Ruger blackhawk 45. Neither of us was injured but any one on the right or left would have been in danger of being hit with bits of the cyl. the top strap did not leave the gun , but was bent slightly . Its a scary thing this one (the one I saw ) was caused by the wrong powder in the loads.
Johniv

omgb
11-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I bought a powder cop die for my progressive. Glad I did too. I discovered that using "Clays" If I ran a case past the powder cop die and then decided to dump the charge and start over, it would leave a compressed ring of powder down in the case near the flash hole. Not a lot but then, with Clays you're only using 3.5 grains any way. That compressed chunk raised the load to over 5 grains. That would bust a gun for sure. The powder cop die detected the over charge right away.