PDA

View Full Version : medium burning rate powders

hydraulic
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
There has been some discussion about the dangers of light charges of medium burning rate powders, recently, which raised some concerns, since I have been shooting 22 grs. of AA2230 under 311413. I would be grateful to hear some opinions and comments on the safety of this combination.

felix
08-13-2008, 10:17 PM
The best way to say it is to repeat Dirty Harry's words at the dock, directed at the punk. Something like: "....this is the most powerful gun in the world....you are thinking: did I fire 5 shots or did I fire 6 shots.....go ahead, make my day." Well, you just might get 1,000 shots in before a hard bolt lift, or 10,000 shots before a stuck/busted case, or 100,000 shots before the gun becomes unglued. ... felix

If the ES of the load is less than 50, the odds are in your favor. If the load is that accurate, do a chrono session with the powder in normal place when you shoot, and with the powder at the different extremes. If below 50 in all firings, then I'd say you are within normal loading specs. Be leary with anything over 100 for damn sure. ... felix

Larry Gibson
08-14-2008, 12:51 AM
"If below 50 in all firings, then I'd say you are within normal loading specs. Be leary with anything over 100 for damn sure. ... felix"

That is where it's at!. As I stated in an earlier post, not all ball powders are hard to ignite. If you have high ES then you are having ignition problems. If you are testing just for groups and are one of the many 50 yard testers then you may not be getting an indication of high ES or ignition problems. The chronograph will tell you. Shoot 3 ten shot strings of that load. If the ES is 50 fps or under you are good to go. If over 100 fps then I'd look at a new powder.

Larry Gibson

hydraulic
08-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks, guys. It has been a couple of years since I shot my chrony and I haven't replaced it, so I'm just going to abandon this load and go back to the old 40 grs. of 4831 with the Lee 190 gr. bullet. I bought 24 lbs of AA2230 years ago when wiedners had it on sale. I'll use it up with my .222 on Nebraska prarie dogs.