PDA

View Full Version : Progressive press for Pistol fodder?

Mr_Sheesh
11-02-2017, 06:56 AM
I have an RL-550B (can't get at it ATM but only used it for rifle ammo.)

Have a C-H (IIRC) straight line press, only used for pistol ammo.

Are there folks getting good results with any newer press? (The old straight line press works, but to say that it's worn / aged is like saying the Mona Lisa is worth a few dollars...)

If I get back to shooting a LOT of pistol, I may want something progressive for it - Lots less work and I can focus on making good Varminting rounds :P

Thanks all, such good info in here!

HeavyMetal
11-02-2017, 07:05 AM
what CH Press do you have, the only in lines they made, that I know of, are the Auto Champion, Mark I to VI.

Early units are no longer supported by CH4D but the later IV and VI's are with most parts. A rebuild may be possible pending model number.

Other than that the Dillon 550B is a great press, the 650 has a rep for primer feed issues, Don't have a feel for the Lock and load Hornady stuff at all and the Dillon's are just better, LOL!

If I wanted a new in the box progressive it would be a Dillon, Model would depend on how much I was shooting and the lump in my wallet, LOL!

HM

JimB..
11-02-2017, 08:07 AM
I’ve been using a Dillon SDB which has been great for modest volume of pistol. Working on setting up a Hornady LNL with case and bullet feeders. Gotta find time to swage somewhere.

Also have an RCBS green machine, but that’s going backwards from just about everything currently available.

Skunk1
11-02-2017, 08:14 AM
I would also go with the Dillon. It's all about funds available and how much you plan on shooting. I have 2 Dillon 550's. One set up for large primer and one for small. I only load pistol rounds on those and use my rock chucker for rifle.

Budzilla 19
11-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Two Dillon SDB's, one in 40 and one in 45, both are faultless when learned. RCBS for single stage stuff. RL 550B for .223 and .38's, it just worked out that way. Go blue, it's your best choice! Just my opinion only. Good luck in whatever way you decide you want to go.

sparky45
11-02-2017, 09:24 AM
While not a "true" progressive press, I really like my Redding T-7 (both of them).

jakharath
11-02-2017, 09:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with using your 550 for pistol.

jmorris
11-02-2017, 09:35 AM
If the 550 is too slow for you get a 1050 or 650.

While I can load faster on my SD's than my 550, its not as big a difference as a press with case feed, add bullet feed to that and 100 rounds can be loaded in under 4 min, with one hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

dverna
11-02-2017, 09:41 AM
You will get a lot of opinions. Most will not fit your needs

Think about:
How much you shoot
How much time you want to spend at a press
If you enjoy to reload or is it a just a means to get cheaper ammunition.
How many calibers you will load for
How much your time is worth
How much you wish to invest...yes invest....you never lose money on a good press.

I have owned 8 progressives. The worst piece of junk was an inline Green Machine. I really like the Dillon 1050's but sold one when I reduced my amount of shooting. The Hornady has mixed reviews. Very rarely do I hear of issues with the Dillons. If you find a Star in good condition, they are a good press as well and can be made to auto index with the proper add on.

Most people will be fine with a 550. I have two of them and they just plain work and are well supported. Caliber conversions are not too expensive either if you intend to load a number of different calibers.

The Star is not a good option if you want to load multiple calibers, as are NONE of the in-lines. Actually, most in-lines are not very good at even loading one caliber. There is a good reason no one makes an in-line any longer.

lightman
11-02-2017, 11:38 AM
You can't go wrong with a Dillon! They have some of the best support in the industry and they hold their value well. The biggest problem is picking which one you you want. There are other choices and they have their loyal followers but my experience with Dillon has been very good.

Mr_Sheesh
11-02-2017, 04:36 PM
HeavyMetal that's why I put a question mark there, its lost in a family members' back room, I can almost see it. I need to mount an expedition in there to get it & the RL550B. I haven't seen it in 15-20 years, not at all sure what COLOR it is even; 25-30 year old press.

dverna - How much I shoot has been the PROBLEM. Family member stole my ammo almost all of it - Others are quite 2A hostile. I want to get back able to shoot 500 rounds a weekend, of some caliber. Used the 550B for 223 / 308 plinking fodder, if I do one for pistol fodder as well I'd be in good shape; Planning some trading to get the funds together. I'll use the rock chucker for varmint loads, I am so OCD on those it's not funny :) But they work well. Then I need to get ME back shooting well again, attainable once I have ammo. :)

HeavyMetal
11-02-2017, 06:21 PM
well if you get the expedition mounted and get lucky send me a PM with specific's on the in line.

I have some spare parts and i know CH4D has others, if it's an Auto Champion it should do 500 to 600 an hour with minimal effort, pending which model it is of course.

Mytmousemalibu
11-02-2017, 06:28 PM
I shoot USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun, needless to say I go through a LOT of ammo! Everything goes through my Dillon 650 and the press has been stellar! I couldn't/wouldn't do what I do without it. I can't recommend a blue machine enough!

Petrol & Powder
11-02-2017, 07:55 PM
This is going to be one of those, "Well I use..........." threads.

So, I'll join in and say - I use a Dillon 550B :grin:

OK, now that we have that out of the way; the 550 B is a phenomenal press. I've used the 650 and 1050 but still prefer the 550.

For loading handgun cartridges, the 550 can't be beat, IMHO.

starnbar
11-02-2017, 08:23 PM
I use the Dillon too for all my pistol needs I have a RCBS 4x4 and the Dillon runs easier for me so the RCBS runs rifle only now but it does a very good job on that

jmorris
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I want to get back able to shoot 500 rounds a weekend

Thats only 26,000 + rounds a year but where I decided to go with the bullet/case fed machines.

Mr_Sheesh
11-02-2017, 09:36 PM
At one point I was using a green press (Hadn't mounted one of the 3 RC's I owned yet) and hand loading 3000 or so 45ACP rounds a week. For some reason, feeding 3 family members' needs that way seemed a terrible burden, thus the progressive. But I liked the 550B, I can see one for pistol, just didn't remember if it would be a happy camper doing that. Now I know :)

dragon813gt
11-02-2017, 11:55 PM
There are four choices IMO, and they're all blue. 550, 650, 1050 or SDB. If you don't mind proprietary dies then a SDB may be the way to go. I'm saying this as someone who only owns a 550. But I've read enough over the years to hear all the problems w/ the other progressives. People's main complaint w/ the Dillon's is the upfront cost.

RGMJ
11-03-2017, 12:12 AM
What about Lee Load Master? anything wrong with this brand ?

CGT80
11-03-2017, 01:30 AM
I run a dillon 1050 and mr. bulletfeeder and use it for 9 and 40. It is built like a tank.

Artful
11-03-2017, 01:42 AM

google it - then buy a Dillon

dragon813gt
11-03-2017, 06:04 AM

I'm a Lee fan and have a lot of their products. I won't consider buying one of their progressives.

steelworker
11-03-2017, 06:08 AM

I have never used a loadmaster. I did TRY to use a pro1000. I ended up giving it away to someone that I didn’t like. Lol

After the pro1000 I went ahead, bought the xl650 and haven’t looked back.

toallmy
11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
I know it's going to stir the pot a little but I ordered a loadmaster a year or so ago and with a little help form members here it's a pleasure to load with . It sits beside a Dillon 550 and by choice I prefer to run all my handgun ammo on the loadmaster . Be warned you must invest the time in getting familiar with the press or you will produce a lot of problematic ammo . I may just be lucky and or to simple to know better , I've never seen a 650 in person.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2017, 07:49 AM
If all I loaded with pistol ammo I could live happily ever after with a square deal.

dverna
11-03-2017, 08:12 AM
I run a dillon 1050 and mr. bulletfeeder and use it for 9 and 40. It is built like a tank.

If I was Mr S, and loaded 26k rounds a year, I would get the 1050. The key to the 1050 is either to only load a limited number of calibers or a few thousand at a time. Caliber change over time does not make it a good choice for loading 200-300 hundred at a time like most people do. I sold the 1050 I had set up for .45 but have one set up for SP, loading 9mm and .38. I do not load enough .40 so I use the 550 for that round.

BTW, the only downside to loading a lot at a time is MAKE SURE THE AMMUNITION WORKS IN ALL YOUR GUNS. I ran into an issue with a batch of 9mm that would not work in everything I use it in. The 9mm is not a forgiving round...at least with cast.

kmw1954
11-03-2017, 11:52 AM
I have never used a loadmaster. I did TRY to use a pro1000. I ended up giving it away to someone that I didn’t like. Lol.

Anyone else have one they want to throw away? PM me and I'll send you my address.[smilie=1:

oldsalt444
11-03-2017, 12:21 PM
I use a Lee Load Master and I'm quite pleased with it. It's much easier to switch out calibers than a Dillon. Well built, rugged. Produces ammo accurate enough for bullseye competition. Like all progressives it has its little quirks to iron out, but if you do your part it will do its part.

jmorris
11-03-2017, 01:12 PM
I was given a loadmaster spent a little time with it and it ran like a top but its was still no dillon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU

Mytmousemalibu
11-03-2017, 01:28 PM
For the money Lee stuff is great. The value is hard to beat and even though I have & prefer Dillon after owning one, I still have lots of Lee stuff. If you don't mind doing some tweaking and a little finesse application, the Lee stuff is definitely serviceable. If you expect to yank it out of the box and crank off thousands of rounds, you might be a little disappointed. This is best dealt using the "Buy once, cry once" moniker in my honest opinion but you can always add in another machine later and leave a Lee machine setup for another caliber. Lots of tutorial videos on YouTube for Lee fixes, mods, upgrades, etc if you go that way.

trebor44
11-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Started with a Rock Chucker, moved to a Bonanza Co-Ax, bought a used Dillon 550B, traded a SqD-b for Redding Big Boss, bought another Dillon (450 and upgraded it to a 550B) so now I have a large and small primer setup. Small runs or new calibers and some rifle on the singles and larger runs (rifle or pistol) on the Dillons. Small volume of reloads = single, larger volumes done on the Dillons. There is a learning curve for any of them.

Grmps
11-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Loadmaster can work for you BUT you will have to do a little "tinkering"

dikman
11-03-2017, 06:16 PM
I agree. I would love a Dillon but here it costs over twice as much as a Loadmaster! I only use mine for.38sp and it now works reliably, the only time I have problems is when I don't keep an eye on case feeding and boolit feeding and run out.

hp246
11-03-2017, 07:00 PM
I tried going cheap with my first progressive. It was a Lee 1000. After struggling with it for about 6 months, my wife told me to go spend whatever I needed on a new press, she was tired of hearing my frustrations. Bought a 550 and never looked back. I'm loading .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .45 Cowboy Special on it. Bought some extra tool heads from this site. Switching calibers takes minutes. The most time consuming part is changing the powder charge.

HeavyMetal
11-03-2017, 07:13 PM
the Pro 1000 can be a pain, no doubt about it!

I have Three and Two of them just hold the door open the other one is used a a depriming tool, set it up for a specific shell plate add a Universal decaping die and have at it!

I can de prime 1000 case's in very little time using the case feeder and collator, then they go into a wet tumbler with SS pins then an old food dehydrator to dry.

Once dry I run the all though an RCBS bench priming tool, this allows me to handle case's at least three times to check for debri, cracks and, in the case of the 45 ACP, to separate small pistol primed case's from large primed case's.

Once sorted and primed they get dumped into a Dillon 550 case feeder and run through my CH Auto Champion Mark VI.

This is the only thing I will do with a Pro 1000 ad it does it well and very fast!

HM

MyFlatline
11-03-2017, 07:53 PM
The biggest issue for me is the priming on the Hornady LNL. Other than that it will spit out the ammo. I couldn't afford Blue but would like to try one some day. I use the Lee turret more while developing loads, easy change over from caliber to caliber. Dillion turret heads are up there..again, I'm poor...

dragon813gt
11-03-2017, 08:08 PM
I use the Lee turret more while developing loads, easy change over from caliber to caliber. Dillion turret heads are up there..again, I'm poor...
I have the money but won't pay what it costs to have toolheads already set up for a Dillon 550. Like you I use the LCT for load development. I use it for small batch reloading as well. For that I have turrets set up since they're more affordable.

MyFlatline
11-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I have the money but won't pay what it costs to have toolheads already set up for a Dillon 550. Like you I use the LCT for load development. I use it for small batch reloading as well. For that I have turrets set up since they're more affordable.

I have them like this..207188

OS OK
11-03-2017, 08:25 PM
It's hard to beat a good turret for working up loads or even whipping out a couple hundred at a time. Extra turrets make them a real workhorse in the shop when it comes to pistol fodder. Best of all, if you don't have a 'time demon' on your back...if you enjoy your tools...they are a pleasure to work with...

I run a LnL for a progressive and a Rock Chucker for bench rifle, prime separately for all the presses and enjoy this craft.
Most of us will end up with several presses.

Leadmelter
11-03-2017, 08:42 PM
I use the 550B for the common pistol: 9mm, 38 sp, 45 ACP.
For other pistol ammo, I use a Ponsness P100. I was my first semi-progressive press.
Rock Chucker for all others.
Leadmelter
MI

country gent
11-03-2017, 09:04 PM
You need to come up with a couple things How much ammo ( preferably the same load) do you intend to load? How much time do you want to invest in this? Loading multiple calibers in large batches is easy on the 650. Extra tool heads can be set up for other calibers. The case feeder means your only handling bullets and pumping the handle. Spare primer tubes make that run longer before taking a break to fill them again. If you decide time is less important than ammo count then a smaller slower press may be the answer.
I started with a Coax for rifle and pistol. Up graded to a lee 1000 for a short time for pistol ( got really good at changing those nylon bushings) and went to a 650 for pistol with measure and case feeder. I then added a second 650 set up with a harrels measure for rifles. I have 15 primer tubes in a home made stand for both large and small primers. I modified the spent primer cups to a tygon tube ran to a gallon jug. and instead of the akro bin for loaded rounds I made a chute for loaded rounds to slide down dropping into a ammo can or box. The cup for the spent primers holds just over 100 primers the modified one for the tube saves emptying the primer cup every time you fill the primer tube. It actually saves emptying the primer cup altogether sldie the hose out of the jug when full and slide in a new jug every so often. ( I don't fill them as a gallon jug of spent primers is pretty heavy) The extra primer tubes are nice in that when they are empty you can sit down and take a break filling the tubes. Or better still have wife children or buddy fill tubes while your loading. This really picks up production. The slide saves the constant emptying of the loaded round bin and allows for ammo to go into the actual box its stored in. You may want the riser strong mount for this to have the slide high enough. Ive loaded .380 acp, 38 spl, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 44 special, 44 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt. The .380 required some tinkering with the drop on the case feeder to keep the short cases from plugging the top falling sideways. Now with the spacers made it all trouble free. On the rifle press I loaded 223. 243. 308. 22-250. WHat I shot for high power. Once I mounted the Harrels measure I loaded my ammo for 200-600 yds on this 650. 1000 yds I loaded on the coax still. I loaded the season high power ammo in febuary and march. Not for a match but for the coming season. I never felt handicapped or an ammo issue loading with the 650s
Decide what your requirements are and quanities needed are. Then go from there. Dillons catalog has a good section on picking the right press for your needs also. This is THe Blue Press.

Mytmousemalibu
11-04-2017, 02:27 AM
the Pro 1000 can be a pain, no doubt about it!

I have Three and Two of them just hold the door open the other one is used a a depriming tool, set it up for a specific shell plate add a Universal decaping die and have at it!

I can de prime 1000 case's in very little time using the case feeder and collator, then they go into a wet tumbler with SS pins then an old food dehydrator to dry.

Once dry I run the all though an RCBS bench priming tool, this allows me to handle case's at least three times to check for debri, cracks and, in the case of the 45 ACP, to separate small pistol primed case's from large primed case's.

Once sorted and primed they get dumped into a Dillon 550 case feeder and run through my CH Auto Champion Mark VI.

This is the only thing I will do with a Pro 1000 ad it does it well and very fast!

HM

I have a Pro 1000 also that I use for the exact same reason and usage! I bought it brand new with that intent. I did modify it to run better as solely a depriming machine and to keep the process speed up i made a Dillon style case feeder and a similar feeding mechanism. It works quite well!

dikman
11-04-2017, 03:14 AM
I do the same with the Pro 1000. I ran two for a while, but had ongoing issues with the primer feed. I finally sold one and bought the LM. Using the case feeder the Pro 1000 is great for quick de-priming prior to cleaning, but if you're new to this I wouldn't recommend buying one.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2017, 07:12 AM
theres a pro 1000 laying on the bottom of my pond if anyone wants to go swimming! You can about figure my opinion of them. The loadmaster I had went to a friend for free. Amazingly he still calls me a friend. By the way he has a 550 now too and the loadmaster is long gone.

375supermag
11-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Hi...
I have a Lee Pro1000 in a box somewhere in the bottom of a cabinet in my reloading room.
Wouldn't give it away... don't hate anybody bad enough to do that to them.
Have a Hornady LNL AmmoPlant now...had some issues with it. Due to some extremely serious health issues, it has been sitting unused for nearly two years.
I just tore it down and cleaned it up and will be trying to get it running next week. If it continues to be troublesome, I suppose I will try a Dillon next. My LNL is going to be tinkered with until I can get it to run .45ACP without problems.
I am seriously considering a Dillon Square Deal for .357Mag as a dedicated machine. My son and I shoot a lot of .45ACP and .357Magnum.
If I can get a the Hornady running well, it may end up dedicated to .45ACP.

jmorris
11-04-2017, 08:57 AM
You need to come up with a couple things How much ammo ( preferably the same load) do you intend to load? How much time do you want to invest in this?

I look at it more like how much money do you want to invest (I don't own a Dillon I couldn't sell for more than it cost me new, most of the other presses don't go up in value). Once we know how much you have to spend, a lot of times, that makes the choice for you.

The next question would be how much effort or rather how little do you want to have in the job of reloading?

If its something you like to do to get away from the world, stick with a single stage. If money isn't a concern and you want an efficent loading process, there wouldn't be anything wrong with a 1050 for even a few hundred rounds a month, would be a better investment than an RV, boat or Rolex...

Randy C
11-04-2017, 09:44 AM
I don't have a Dillon but if you had TWO of the same you could use one for large primers and one for small, You could use conversion kits and save some money. You wont have to re-invent the wheel you already know how to use Dillon and if you call in for service they will appreciate that you that you have invested in there products,
It looks like you need to get back to Reloading

Rick45Colt
11-04-2017, 10:21 AM
I just sold my Dillon 650XL because I needed a new furnace more! I have thought about the 1050 for 223/5.56 and getting the stuff required to also do 45ACP. I have been told that switching calibers on the 1050 is a pain so now I am not so sure. I was able to load 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223, 308 and 30-06 on my 650XL. Worst cast I would buy 2 650XL's and only load 223 and 45ACP.

kmw1954
11-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I must be an idiot because I don't seem to have any of those problems with the Pro1000 I have. I've got to be doing something wrong.
Keep it clean and don't bang it around like a madman on a Nickel slot machine and it works just fine.

warpspeed
11-04-2017, 12:44 PM
I've owned every press Dillon sells. Each has its advantages over the others.

When I ran a 650, I didn't want to change out the primer system so I used a Square Deal for 45 ACP. It is a great press for pistol rounds and if I was on a budget and only loaded pistol it would be my first choice.

kmw1954
11-04-2017, 01:33 PM
, I didn't want to change out the primer system so I used a Square Deal for 45 ACP. It is a great press for pistol rounds and if I was on a budget and only loaded pistol it would be my first choice.

If I was only loading one pistol caliber I would agree. But as I load a number of them I'll stick with the lowly hated Lee Pro1000. It is just faster, easier and cheaper to change out than the SDB with those proprietary dies. And yes I do prime on this press.

JMax
11-04-2017, 03:24 PM
I started with two Dillon RL300s, adopted them out and replaced them with two RL550s. I prep all of my rifle brass in a Redding T7 with 3 tool heads. One Dillon is for large and the other is for small primers.
In 1982 I was loading 70k 45ACP on RL300s and won the Canadian IPSC national championship with that ammo and using my cast bullets. I just paced myself and polished brass while loading other brass so I still had time for my kids and wife.
My suggestion is two RL550s.

kmw1954
11-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Once again a fine example of the beauty in this hobby. We are all free to use what suites us as individuals. I really don't expect that what works for me is going to work for anyone else. As long as we don't blow ourselves up who really cares what we use or how much we have invested.

If I wasn't happy with what I'm using I would look for something else. Unlike some folks I did a lot of research on the subject before I purchased my stuff. Yes I did know exactly what I was buying. The good and the bad so there were no surprises or unjust expectations.

David2011
11-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Just another opinion, based on having owned a SDB, 550 and 650. If I'm loading less than 100 cartridges I do it on a single stage press unless I have a toolhead ready to go for the caliber including the bullet and powder charge.

If you're only loading one pistol caliber the Square Deal B is a great press. I don't know why you wouldn't want to use the 550 for pistol. It's IMO Dillon's most versatile, best bang for the buck press. If you want minimum time at the press a 550 or 650 with case feeder is a better bet. There is no difference in ammo quality among them.

The 550 caliber conversions are far more economical than 650 conversions. Not a big deal if you're looking at 1 to 3 calibers; can get to be a real big deal if you want to load 5 or 10 different calibers. The 550 is also much faster to swap calibers than the 650. On the 550 you need only change the primer punch and magazine tube to go between large and small. Loosen a setscrew, change primer punches and snug up the setscrew. It's not necessary to remove the slide and priming system.

I find the capacity of the 550 to be 400-500/hr. and can load 300 .40 S&W on the 650 in 20 minutes after the primer tubes are loaded.

In the OP's shoes I would make the decision based on how many different cartridges I intended to load. Changing calibers on the SDB isn't too bad as long as the primer size is the same but it wouldn't be my first or second choice to use for several calibers. The dies for the SDB are proprietary and not inexpensive.

I wouldn't recommend using any Dillon if the user is unwilling to buy a separate toolhead for each frequently used cartridge. They aren't that expensive in the grand scheme and save lots of setup time. For those cartridges that you might load once or twice a year I would be more willing to set up each time but I also tend to load infrequently loaded cartridges on a single stage press. For frequently loaded cartridges like .40, .38 Special and .45 ACP I have complete setups including powder measures. For others I move a powder measure to various toolheads and adjust as needed.

OS OK
11-05-2017, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't complain about having several tool-heads to accommodate the various calibers, the restriction I foresaw was trying to make adjustments on those close-fitting, closely spaced dies.
Say, you want to change profiles of projectiles, same caliber...either adjust the seating die in or out...too many times I've backed off the locknut and spun the whole die, I wanted to just loosen it so I could adjust by 1/2 turn or so and then loose the rough adjustment from minutes before. Now instead of having a good grasp on the die before loosening the locknut you need another tool for holding it in place, one tool in each hand and Large paws don't operate well in confined spaces.

It's not so much the swapping of calibers but the adjustments that accompany changing profiles...now add feeders and more linkages and things get pretty crowded pretty quickly!
If your machine makes long runs on same-O, same-O that's fine, but...for an everyday working press that's doing work-up's and loading for the whole stable, well...that's another situation one doesn't think about until it's mounted on the bench and you are having to try to live with it.

That's the only reason I didn't go blue.

salpal48
11-05-2017, 09:28 AM
I have ben using Star's for many years. Star's i found to be superior to any other machines On the market. They never break . parts never ware out and very accurate. I have Them set Up for 38 spl, 9mm, 45 acp, 38 S&W
I had Dillons and lee progressive but Dumped them.
All mine are at least 40 years Old.
Remember All others are Copied but never Duplicated

Big Wes
11-06-2017, 07:43 AM
All I can say is "The Blue Kool-Aid is delicious"

jetinteriorguy
11-07-2017, 07:14 AM
While I have no doubt as to the reputation of Dillon being well deserved, I've been loading on my Loadmaster for a couple years and like it just fine. Pretty much 90% of the problems I've had have been user error, once I ironed things out its been fine. I've loaded well over 15000 rounds on it and see no reason to get rid of it. I think you'll find most of the people who have had serious issues with a Loadmaster probably tried them years ago before Lee refined the priming system, but on the newer ones it's not been a problem with mine.

toallmy
11-07-2017, 08:43 AM
I like the auto indexing on the loadmaster as well as the primer system , but I have no experience with the older problematic loadmasters mine is a couple years old . The disk powder measure is easy to swap around on different setups when changing calibers also . It is sitting on my loading bench right beside a 550 set up for the 223 witch I enjoy loading on also . I seriously looked at a 650 but I decided to try a loadmaster first so if I wasn't satisfied I would only be out a couple hundred dollars .I don't shoot enough to in my mind justify putting that much into a loader , but you never know ....... lee left a bad taste in my mouth after selling me a load fast progressive shot shell reloader that never worked years ago - that turned me against progressive reloading until I tried a Mec .

jmorris
11-07-2017, 10:17 AM
While I have no doubt as to the reputation of Dillon being well deserved, I've been loading on my Loadmaster for a couple years and like it just fine.

I think that folks that have never used a loadmaster or failed to get them figured out are the ones that bad mouth them. Once you can get them running, you know what to do to keep them running.

That said the OP already has a 550 and no loadmaster is going to be as reliable, over the years. If he wants something different, the loadmaster could be a choice but if he wants to move up, the list of choices gets a lot shorter.

derek45
11-07-2017, 11:11 PM
I have a DILLON 550B and XL650

the XL650 gets a lot more use.

I like them both.

XL650 for 1000 round batches of 9mm, 38/357, 40, 45ACP,
also for processing and loading 223, 308, 30-06

I use the 550B for smaller batch stuff like 44 mag, 6.8SPC, etc.

XL650
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFR6brTNZNI

GONRA
11-09-2017, 06:36 PM
GONRA's Dillon XL 650 has verked Just Fine for 9mm and .45 ACP.
Use it for all my UZI and 1928 Thompson SMG ammo.

(I like the olde RCBS sizing dies with smaller entrance radius for "Quality Sizing".
Cases are nicely sized FULL LENGTH. Look just like factory - what yer Gun Expects.
Just CAN'T STAND the wierd sizing stuff that sometimes goes on with reloaded ammo...
So I accept any minor "Progressive Press Reloading Problems"
that a larger sizing die entrance radius would cure.)

jmorris
11-11-2017, 09:44 AM
I use a roll sizer then size with dies made for progressives. Eliminates any case/die problems and sizes the case in areas no press mounted die can fix. All the way to the rim and even inside the extractor groove.

DCB
11-11-2017, 10:24 PM
I use a Hornady AP say they can load 500 rounds/ hr. Iam up to about 200/250/ Hr.
I loaded a 1000 38spcls in a few hours.
https://s7.postimg.org/vxa6428xn/big_Jack_009.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/61qfkv73r/)

bgw45
11-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Figure em out? Why, when you can get something that works? Granted I'm not as gifted as you are. I have only so much time to reload and I really appreciate being able to use reliable equipment.

I am thankful and understand those that choose to use Red products. I just don't have time for em.

jmorris
11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Figure em out? Why, when you can get something that works?

Its nice to have problem solving skills and a full understanding of how something works, because problems can be found on any machine. Knowing how to solve them gets you going faster and saves you money to ship them back to whomever made them for repair.

JimB..
11-13-2017, 09:21 AM
I have a SDB, have used it for many pistol calibers, but it is going to be dedicated to 38 special and 357 magnum shortly.

Just got the Hornady LNL with case and bullet feeders in used condition, working on refurbishing and have high hopes for it handling 9mm, 45 acp and 223

Was given a pro1000, intend to set it up just to deprime, but can’t get the case feed slide to work as I think it should. Good project for over Thanksgiving I think.

Green Frog
11-13-2017, 10:13 AM
I’m still not sure about the absolute volume the OP is going to be loading, but we used a 550B to load for a moderate amount of PPC (38 wc and swc) and 45 swc for a few Bullseye events with perfect satisfaction. It ISpossible to mis-seat primers or run out of powder and get bad rounds if you get in too big a hurry or don’t watch what you’re doing, but the same can be said of virtually any progressive press. :coffee:

Froggie

Tazza
11-13-2017, 04:44 PM
I run a lee 1000, it has issues that everyone has, a flake or two of powder is all it takes to mess up the primer feeding. I keep just clean the feed ramp when things get a bit off.

I have only owned one lee 1000, i don't know how many rounds it has done, but it would be a few hundred thousand by now. It has yet to pi$$ me off enough to be thrown in the lake or given to my worst enemy to torture them :)

For the price, you really can't go wrong. Dillon over here in .au is just insane, i think a 1050 with a case feeder is about 2k. It makes ammo that shoots better than i can.

kmw1954
11-13-2017, 05:34 PM
I've been a mechanic my entire life, my father before me was a mechanical engineer. So I have been around all sorts of tools and all sorts of people that use them. From observation though I have learned that tools do not make the mechanic. Skill, understanding and attention to detail do. Anyone can learn to use a tool but that doesn't make them a mechanic. Over the many years I have also seen many good tools used wrong and then the operator complains about what a crappy tool it is. Go figure! Granted not all tools are created equal just as all mechanics are not created equal. But I have found that most tools if used as they were intended do a pretty good job and last a long time. Even the cheap ones.

I enjoy reading these threads about tools and listening to people describe their experiences with them. Some have made me laugh uncontrollably and others have left me shaking my head thinking that person shouldn't be using any tool. In my case it really makes no difference to me which brand tools you are using or how much you have invested in those tools. Why? Because I'm not using your tools, I'm using my tools and I'm using them because I'm happy with them, otherwise I would get rid of them and I'd be using something else. Just as anyone else would,

I have three presses on my bench. All three are old and all three were purchased used. All three will also most likely last me the rest of my lifetime. I also have never had to send a press back to the manufacture and suspect I never will. Besides, if one broke I would most likely replace it with another used one and never even think twice about it. But that is just me.

Just enjoy your time at the bench!

Tazza
11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
kmw1954, no truer words have been said. Like the guy undoing a bolt with a 6 foot pipe for leverage blames crappy tools because the bar broke, i wonder why? The old saying, a good tradesman never blames his tools (unless they are cheap and nasty Chinese garbage).

The way i figure it, we own guns, they are machines, the same as a reloading press. If you can work out how a gun works and know what to clean and lubricate, you can do the same to a reloading press to keep it running reliably.

BlackRat
11-17-2017, 02:21 PM
My 2 cents, just take them for what they are :)

I have a Dillon 550 and a Hornady LNL. Both presses will work fine and both have their quirks. The dillon can be a little problematic on the auto primer feeder so you have to keep it clean but the design is very simple, the manual indexing is fool proof and changing calibers is very easy, however having to buy a powder measure for each caliber is expensive.
The LNL on the other hand needs to be very clean so it will index properly. Also the primer slide gave me some trouble but nothing that can't be fixed with a little deburring.
My point is simple, unless something is wrong with the design of the press, every progressive will need some minor care and/or tuning. That's why as many said before it's great to have some skills to understand how things work, troubleshoot and fix on the fly.
On the other hand, I truly like the Dillon dies for any progressive (how much I dislike this word that reminds me so much to the People's Republik of Kalifornia) press. They not only perform excellent but also are very easy to clean without having to adjust anything!

CGT80
11-22-2017, 02:27 AM
I just sold my Dillon 650XL because I needed a new furnace more! I have thought about the 1050 for 223/5.56 and getting the stuff required to also do 45ACP. I have been told that switching calibers on the 1050 is a pain so now I am not so sure. I was able to load 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223, 308 and 30-06 on my 650XL. Worst cast I would buy 2 650XL's and only load 223 and 45ACP.

It depends on your definition of a pain.

If you don't mind spending 20 minutes to an hour tearing down a machine that is built like a quality tank, doing a bit of cleaning and lube and setting it up for another run, it is no big deal. Once setup, it just runs like a slot machine that pays out every time.

My 1050 is setup for 9mm and 40 cal, so I don't have to change the priming system, but I have pulled it apart to clean it. No big deal. I tore it down all the way, except for the crank shaft. It often stays setup for one caliber for months. When I know I need the other caliber, I load up plenty of what it is currently setup for and then switch and load for the second. Even if I had to switch it out every week, no big deal. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

400 rounds of 9mm took 20 minutes or so at a slow pace, the other night. The swaging for 9mm primer pockets is priceless and it would be the same for 223. If my 223 volume was higher, or I had more extra money, it would be setup for 223 and would have a dillon trimmer. The toolheads are 200 bucks for an empty head, so not cheap.

The 650 does not compare to the 1050, which is also on my bench but owned by my brother. We load 223 on that and swage on the dillon bench tool and I made a trimming machine that uses a cts cutter and indexes on the necks. All other calibers get loaded on my 550 with a case feeder modified to feed rifle cases and 460 pistol cases. I would rather swap calibers on the 1050 than the 550.

jmorris
11-22-2017, 11:40 AM
The 650 does not compare to the 1050, which is also on my bench but owned by my brother. We load 223 on that and swage on the dillon bench tool...I would rather swap calibers on the 1050 than the 550.

The thing I like most about the 1050 is the swage station on #3 and the 1050 is the least fun to swap calibers especially if a primer swap is needed. The 550 is the easiest out of all the Dillon progressives, a caliber swap without primer change can be done in less than 30 seconds if they use the same shell plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=689Wzn4qY3w

jmorris
11-22-2017, 11:46 AM
There are not many progressives where you can change primer sizes this fast and easy. For that matter even the Co-ax single stage takes longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE