PDA

View Full Version : since were talking pressure cookers

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2017, 08:34 AM
what all do you cook in yours. Mine is used mostly for venison, beef or pork roasts or stew. Anyone more creative?

tja6435
11-01-2017, 09:12 AM
My wife made up and canned a bunch of baby food a couple of years ago in our big All American pressure cooker

Bulldogger
11-01-2017, 10:04 AM
I have a 32Q Presto that I use for everything imaginable. Mostly pressure canning vegetables and occasionally meats and beans. I like pressure canning ready-made meals, especially for truck camping, though I do not do that as often as I might.

For my smaller stovetop pressure cooker I use it most often to cook chicken for chicken soup. It's just big enough for a medium chicken. The "Oven Stuffer" roasters are too big and are done in the big cooker. I cook a chicken about an hour, let it cool, debone and return all the non-meat pickings to the pot for another 1.5 hours with a few herbs. Then filter it and use the liquid to cook vegetables, then in goes the shredded meat and a little wild rice right before done. Good for the ailing and cold days.

BDGR

Artful
11-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Here's some idea's for you
http://www.powerpressurecooker.com/recipes.php

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/pressure-cooker-recipes#pressure-cookers

country gent
11-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Mom would cook older chickens and other tough cuts of meat in a pressure cooker this help to tenderize it.

CastingFool
11-01-2017, 12:24 PM
I have used for venison mostly, but have also canned some green beans, and just recently did 12 qts of black, kidney, and white beans

farmerjim
11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I have a big one for pressure canning of non acid foods. I have a small one for fast cooking of artichokes, potatoes, chickens, beets and other things for when you are in a hurry.

dragon813gt
11-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Haven't cooked anything in mine because it's to big. I need to buy a smaller one so it will fit on the range. Also need the largest All American to help speed up canning everything. One just isn't cutting it anymore.

smokeywolf
11-01-2017, 07:23 PM
I usually do my ham-bone & bean soup in the pressure cooker.

Moonie
11-01-2017, 08:15 PM
I made country style steak and once that was done brown rice to go with it, also in the pressure cooker. I cook lots of things in mine, I have 2 in fact, a 4 quart Fagor and an 8 quart electric model.

jimlj
11-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I've made chili several times starting out with dry beans. Also cooked quite a few stews and different meats. I have a 6 quart one for the stove top, an instant pot electric and a big All American for fruit and vegetables.

MyFlatline
11-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Tree rats..Quick fry em and then toss them in the small PC. 10 minutes and they are fall off the bone tender..

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2017, 06:50 AM
how long cooking did it take to make the beans soft? Did you have to add extra liquid to offset what the dry beans absorbed?
I've made chili several times starting out with dry beans. Also cooked quite a few stews and different meats. I have a 6 quart one for the stove top, an instant pot electric and a big All American for fruit and vegetables.

6bg6ga
11-04-2017, 06:53 AM
I still don't have a pressure cooker but will accept your old pressure cookers you might wish to send me. :grin:

6bg6ga
11-04-2017, 06:55 AM
what all do you cook in yours. Mine is used mostly for venison, beef or pork roasts or stew. Anyone more creative?

What is the BEST pressure coooker Lloyd?

MaryB
11-04-2017, 10:21 PM
This thread has to be driving the NSA nuts... LOL

6bg6ga
11-05-2017, 06:44 AM
This thread has to be driving the NSA nuts... LOL

Maybe they will start a best selling cook book. Pressure cooker, pressure cooker, pressure cooker, that ought to trip the word sensors a bit

dragon813gt
11-05-2017, 08:42 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/24/article-2314310-1977AB51000005DC-145_634x389.jpg

farmerjim
11-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I usually do my ham-bone & bean soup in the pressure cooker.

How long do you cook the beans in the pressure cooker ? I would like to try this for red beans and rice.
Do you pre soak your beans?

smokeywolf
11-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Yep farmerjim, soak the navy beans overnight. I don't usually follow recipes, so stuff turns out a little different each time.
If memory serves, hambone, navy beans, celery, onions etc. cook for 65 minutes. I relieve pressure, open up the pressure cooker, remove bone, add 2 cans kidney beans, reseal and cook another 20 minutes.

jimlj
11-07-2017, 11:07 PM
how long cooking did it take to make the beans soft? Did you have to add extra liquid to offset what the dry beans absorbed?

If I pre soak the beans overnight, about 30 minutes. From dry about 45 minutes. 2 cups beans and 4 cups water. After the cook time I let the pot set till the pressure drops by itself. I live at 6700' elevation. Cooking dry beans without a pressure cooker at this elevation they would have to simmer all day (or more) to get them soft.

Grmps
11-08-2017, 03:42 PM
I have an electric one and love it, easy to control and not too big.
It usually gets called on to do cow tongue.

gbrown
11-09-2017, 11:08 AM
I've owned a few pressure cookers. Living with my parents in my youth, they were used all the time. Beans, stews, roasts, hogs head cheeses, all sorts of stuff. I've used them for canning, cooking, the usual stuff. I ran across an unusual one at a church garage sale and had to have it. A microwave pressure cooker--$2.00. Called the company up after an internet search and got replacement parts and a pamphlet with recipes. Not very large capacity, about a quart or 2. Its handy. I've cooked rabbit and ribs in it as well as chicken. Nordic Ware has since bought the company.

MaryB
11-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Now that blowing up would be scary! Microwave explodes too! LOL!

gbrown
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Again, as a young un, I witnessed 3 safety plug failures on 4 and 12 quart cookers. When you are watching TV and suddenly it sounds like all the demons from Hades just landed in your kitchen, it leaves an impression on you and certain items of clothing you are wearing.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I really like the Fagor "Pressure Quick release" Pressure cooker, made in Spain...they are about $100 for a 8 qt pot as shown, Stainless Steel with thick clad bottom, approved for induction heating.

My most frequent recipe I use in the pressure cooker is a Thick Bean soup, from Dry Beans.

First I do the quick soak:
1 cup dry beans (I prefer Pintos)
4 cups water
bring to boil, put cover on pressure cooker, bring up to pressure.
hold pressure for 2 minutes.
release pressure, drain and rinse beans.
then I run the beans through a small food processor to break the skins off.
Then return the beans to the pressure cooker, add 1 pint of tomato juice and 1 pint of soup stock,
optional additions: sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, butter, left over meat, I like to put a leftover pork chop in.
put the cover on, bring up to pressure,
hold pressure for 16 minutes
then cut the heat, and let the pressure fall slowly, it usually takes 15 minutes.
DONE, now it's lunchtime.

that's Bean soup ready to eat, from Dry beans, in about 40 minutes.

Rick N Bama
11-10-2017, 05:34 PM
We have a Spaghetti Sauce going in ours as I write this while yesterday it was a beef stew. Our electric "Insta-Pot" is used almost every day for cooking something and it's all we use now for dried beans such as Pintos.