PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Rust On A Patina Gun

jonp
11-01-2017, 07:43 AM
I have an old Ted Williams 30-30 that I decided to let rust a little to develop a patina. I just let it sit without any oil for several months in a corner and the receiver has smooth rust under the blueing.

Now that I have it about where I want it what is the best way to stop it from rusting any further? Will leaving the rust and just keeping oil on it do the trick? I coated it with Synthetic 20w50 Oil for now.

quack1
11-01-2017, 07:55 AM
First thing that comes to mind would be a soak in a baking soda and water solution. That's what is used to stop the action of rust bluing and browning.

Walter Laich
11-01-2017, 10:30 AM
any pictures?

I would be interested in seeing what you came up with.

Toymaker
11-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Baking soda and water are used to stop the browning/bluing process because it is an acid reaction. Yours is just plain old rust. Take a cloth and rub it down. An old t-shirt will do. That removes the loose scale. Check it over and see if it still meets your requirements. I've used either Johnsons Paste Wax (first choice) or Bee's Wax (second choice) and applied a heavy coat to the metal. You'll need to soften or melt the bee's wax. Then use a heat gun or hair dryer to melt it and let it soak into the rust. Wipe off the excess. If using bee's wax you need to wipe it down while it's still soft. You'll have a long term protective coating.