PDA

View Full Version : Another way to Increase a Mold's Diameter

Andy_P
08-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I need a mold that will drop a 44 cal bullet at 0.435".

I have a Lee Mold (90299 - the "Micro Band") that drops at 0.430".

I took a 7/16-14 (NC) Bottoming Tap and ran it into it.

Presto, drops bullets at 0.436". :mrgreen:

This is an old trick that works on any mold that has a Tap near in size and a bit larger.

454PB
08-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Now that is hard core!

Lumpie
08-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I know a person that makes his bullet lube, by mixing Rabbit droppings and Johnson paste wax? Lumpie

copdills
08-14-2008, 03:56 AM
lube on the Run

missionary5155
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I need a mold that will drop a 44 cal bullet at 0.435".

I have a Lee Mold (90299 - the "Micro Band") that drops at 0.430".

I took a 7/16-14 (NC) Bottoming Tap and ran it into it.

Presto, drops bullets at 0.436". :mrgreen:

This is an old trick that works on any mold that has a Tap near in size and a bit larger.

This is another example what makes this site so interesting... Simple solutions that work... :)

wonderwolf
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
So they drop threaded? Can we get a picture? this is a great idea :Fire:

Andy_P
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Here's a pic. This is embarassing because the picture quality is poor, the bullet was dropped hastily to see how the concept worked, and the mold is not yet fully tapped - I used a standard taper tap, while I look for a bottoming tap that will get all the way down to the nose without bottoming out. I used a Lee Micro Band Mold because:

- it's inexpensive;
- it's easy to tap; and
- the thread is quite compatible with the microbands (makes a sort of cross-hatch pattern).

L to R - the Mold, the threaded bullet, the unthreaded bullet

http://www.pridham.ca/Threaded_Mold.jpg

The large cavity is a previous exercise where I drilled it and tapped with a 5/8" tap to make a bullet that couold be sized to 0.590" for a Snider Enfield. See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5026

Cap'n Morgan
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
The only problem I see, is you may run into a gas blow-by problem as the helical threads will not seal the bore completely.

Another way to enlarge an aluminum mold cavity is to make a mandrel on a lathe wich mirrors the shape you want. Place the mandrel between the mold halves and give it a good squeeze in a press. Carefully remove the raised material with a fine file, and repeat the process if necessary.

Andy_P
08-15-2008, 08:37 AM
The only problem I see, is you may run into a gas blow-by problem as the helical threads will not seal the bore completely.

I can't see how that would happen. The rifling interupts the raised portions and seals it off into multiple partitions.

Cap'n Morgan
08-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't see how that would happen. The rifling interupts the raised portions and seals it off into multiple partitions.

Andy,
Just speculation on my part. :-D

As long as the outside diameter of the bullet you want to modify is larger than the distance between the lands of the bore, there's no problem. However, if the "core diameter" is smaller than the lands, the pressure will have a channel to follow all the way to the front of the bullet - unless the lube can keep the pressure at bay.

Willbird
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Many machinists make bottoming taps from plug taps by just grinding the end off without overheating it. They work ok for most purposes even though they are not true bottom taps.

Bill