PDA

View Full Version : RANGE TRIP TODAY!...light to moderate ground fire.

sniper
08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I unlimbered my Ruger with RCBS 100gr. GC boolits today.:-D

It worked! My 11.6gr. load of Unique was very consistent, averaging ~1 1/4 in/50 yds. That was for all seating depths.

But, the 22.6gr. load of H4895 closed them up a bunch. With the bullet just touching the rifling, 7/8 in. , and with .010 in. free travel, 3/4 in., :mrgreen: and at .020 free travel, the group opened up to 1 1/8 in. All at 50 yds. Looks like my rifle is trying to tell me something.

I got some smoked case necks with the H4895, so I will maybe increase the loads to closer to maximum, and see. I'll probably try the free travel + or- a little, but it looks like I may have found the load.

Of course, the day wouldn't be comlpete with some sort of malfraction. I had shot about 30 rounds from my revolver, RCBS 162gr. CB and some 125 gr. copper plated lead over Universal powder. I got sone wierd looking stuff out of the fired brass...it looked like granules of soft ear wax. Only happened with the plated boolits, and the 162 gr. shot great!

At any rate, ~30 rounds ,all chambering properly, and the cylinder will not shut and latch, with either with ammo, or empty cylinders. Nothing is loose that I could find. I wonder what that is all about?

I'll work on it tomorrow. Didn't mess up my day much , either. :-D

DLCTEX
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Which Ruger, what cal. ?:mrgreen: Inquiring minds want to know. DALE

Jack Stanley
08-13-2008, 08:41 PM
My little brother had some light to moderate ground fire one day .

He was in the backyard using his 1919A4 semi-auto and I was in the dungeon loading some ammo for a project . Suddenly he burst through the door with the look of panic in his eyes and the sound of seed heads popping and crackling in the background saying " Jack!! , WE have a fire !!!!" OK so I guess the "we" of this came in when the mixed tracer belts "he" was using fell into the wheat field "I" owned lighting it off with a merry blaze .
It managed to burn about an arce before "WE" got it put out completely :roll:Ahhhh ............. ya just gots ta love dem lil' brothers [smilie=1:

Jack

OBXPilgrim
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I got sone wierd looking stuff out of the fired brass...it looked like granules of soft ear wax.

and the cylinder will not shut and latch,

with either with ammo,

or empty cylinders.

I'm guessing it's not a single action, but rather a swing out cylinder revolver with powder particles down between the frame & crane?

dominicfortune00
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
If it's a S&W, try checking to see if the cylinder is loose on the extractor rod.

Had this happen on my 1917 Brazilian on time.

sniper
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Which Ruger, what cal. ?:mrgreen: Inquiring minds want to know. DALE

Ruger 77 MKII, 22 " barrel, .257 Roberts. Burris 3-9 Fullfield II scope. My favorite caliber!:-D

And...thanks, the rest of you, I will operate on my Smith tomorrow,and see if I can't free it up .

Calamity Jake
08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
"If it's a S&W, try checking to see if the cylinder is loose on the extractor rod."

There also could be unburnt powder/dirt in the crain area keeping the cylinder from closing.

sniper
08-14-2008, 12:30 PM
"If it's a S&W, try checking to see if the cylinder is loose on the extractor rod."

There also could be unburnt powder/dirt in the crain area keeping the cylinder from closing.

OBX; Jake and Dominic; the extractor rod is the first thing I checked. Jake, I used a toothbrush on the crane and star areas: Lo and behold, I am back in business!:-D

Thanks, guys.

sniper
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
My little brother had some light to moderate ground fire one day. Jack

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Reminds me of the day my cousin and I decided to set a smudge fire in our calf shed to smoke out the spiders and other residents. The shed was surrounded by 6 foot high grass.
Um Hmmmm..... Well, it worked great; you shoulda seen those critters scamper! Until the green grass got dry enough to ignite fully! Hoo boy! You shoulda seen US critters scamper! We were a steppin' and a fetchin' till we got it out. (Just barely) It did seem like a good idea at the time, though.

Frank46
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Had something similar happen at work one time years back. July 4th to be exact. Was being relieved on my watch and someone decided to shoot off some fireworks.
And you can guess the rest. Grass was burning pretty good. With haste and vigor hooked up a fire hose to our 65,000 gallon water tank and proceeded to put out the blaze. Since this was on a weekend just us two were there. Fire out and flushed the area pretty good to prevent any more suprises. Lotta funny looks come monday though. WHO ME?. Frank