PDA

View Full Version : Question about EutecRod 157

Harry O
10-31-2017, 10:34 AM
I bought a bunch of solder at an estate sale recently. There was one 3# spool of EutecRod 157 in there (what was left from a 5# spool). Evidently, what is in it is proprietary. I have not been able to find out what is in it from the internet. The literature does say that it is lead free and for use in soldering stainless steel or aluminum, particularly in the food service and dairy industries.

Does anyone know what is in it *or* has anyone used it in casting before? I have seen (on the internet) that some of the competition to this stuff is listed as 95% tin and 5% silver. I would hope this is the same.

MaryB
10-31-2017, 11:41 PM
From the website

Lead-free soft soldering for low temperature capillary joining.

Lead-free soft soldering for low temperature capillary joining. Ideal for copper alloys and stainless steels.

Features and benefits

Maximum wetting and fluidity
Excellent mechanical strength
Good corrosion resistance
Excellent for stainless steel

Applications
Dairy utensils and other food handling equipment , Plumbing fixtures, Potable water containers, Piping
Technical data:
Bonding temperature 430°F
Typical tensile shear strength 15,000 psi

Sn 96.5% Ag3.5% matches the melting point, treat it as tin and call it good

JBinMN
10-31-2017, 11:59 PM
Might help with werewolves too, with the silver in there! Or maybe we can all find out if the Lone ranger was right about those silver bullets he swore by. j/k
LOL
;)

G'luck with your find!
:)

Harry O
11-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the help. It will go into the pot (a little bit at a time). I paid $3.50 for it. Of course, most buys are not that good. What is strange is I saw a bunch of lead that sold for $2 per pound a few weeks ago (I passed, but it was gone before it went to half-price). You never know what it is going to sell for. I don't think that the estate sale people know the difference between lead and solder.