PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Feed Problem

Johnw...ski
08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Lately my Garand has been failing to pick up the third round from the clip.
It's always the third round and only if the first round is on the right hand side of the clip, clips loaded so the first round is on the left side work fine.

I cleaned the gas cylinder before going to the range today and also ran the gas cylinder plug through my ultrasonic cleaner to get it really clean. Nothing seemed dirty enough to cause a problem and obviously wasn't because the problem persists.

Not that it should matter but I am shooting jacketed bullets.

Any ideas?

John

OBXPilgrim
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
The few that have given me problems with a consistent round in the clip not feeding, turned out to be a bullet guide/op rod catch & accelerator fit issue.

I had spares & swapped to different rifles & found combos/mixes that would work with some rifles, not with others. I suppose the stack up tolerances/wear that will/won't work is close on some rifles.

If you have any spares, that's where I'd start.

10-x
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
+1 for swapping parts related to feeding. IIRC ,Garand clips are supose to be loaded with the 1st round on the right.:-D

NickSS
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Its probably the bullet guide that is causing the problem. However, the reason the garand clips have the first bullet on the right was due to a problem with the clip ejecting that last round without firing it. The army corrected the problem when they found it but the clip loading was retained. I load them both ways and they work fine in my Garnads. I had to replace some parts including a bullet guide and clip latch spring in one of my CMP rifles due to feeding issues but now it works just great just too much wear on the old parts.

Johnw...ski
08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I have all the parts except the bullet guide and magazine release. I ordered the bullet guide today although both sources where I checked did not have the magazine release, but I doubt that could be causing the problem.

I will post results after I swap everything out and try it.

John

Its probably the bullet guide that is causing the problem. However, the reason the garand clips have the first bullet on the right was due to a problem with the clip ejecting that last round without firing it. The army corrected the problem when they found it but the clip loading was retained. I load them both ways and they work fine in my Garnads. I had to replace some parts including a bullet guide and clip latch spring in one of my CMP rifles due to feeding issues but now it works just great just too much wear on the old parts.

HABCAN
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds like the famous 'Third Round Stoppage' of yore............in Korea first thing my guys did was reload issued clips with the top round on the left. I've done that ever since I acquired my M1 years ago and have never had a problem.

dominicfortune00
08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
IIRC the Seventh Round Stoppage had something to do with machining inside the receiver.

Johnw...ski
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Got all the new parts in yesterday, the follower and slide assembly, follower arm,
bullet guide, operating rod catch assembly, and follower rod. The bullet guide and operating rod catch assembly look new the other parts are used. I swapped out all the parts and went to the range. The problem with the third round not picking up persisted and the fourth round would often jam when the clip was loaded with the first round to the right. With the first round loaded to the left I was now having the third round not being picked up every second or third magizine. The problem got worse with the new parts, not entirely surprising since the are used and look more used than what was there.

After some contemplation I thought the follower might not be pushing up hard enough possibly because the leverage isn't as high during the third and fourth round. I took the rifle apart and stretched the op-rod spring 1-1/2" assembled the rifle and shot 6 clips all with the first round to the right without any failures to feed at all. Time will tell I guess.

John

OBXPilgrim
08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm glad you got it working.

Kind of surprised that it was only the 3rd round if it was a spring problem only.

Could you tell if it was short stroking - not going back all the way, or just not enough compression of the spring to pull the round out of the clip?

Johnw...ski
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Thats a good question, origionally it was always the third round but after I started changing parts the third round would either not pick up or sometimes start to feed and the bolt would slide over the round and jam, always with the first round on the right. Often the fourth round would start to feed and the bolt would go over it causing a jam. With the first round on the left it started to sometimes miss the third round, but not always, after replacing parts. It seems OK now so I'll keep on moving on and see what happens.

John

Well, I'm glad you got it working.

Kind of surprised that it was only the 3rd round if it was a spring problem only.

Could you tell if it was short stroking - not going back all the way, or just not enough compression of the spring to pull the round out of the clip?

mto7464
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
sounds like a gas system problem. check the diameter of the piston, you could also do a check on the gas cylinder using a .300 Wby case. It just gives a ruff idea. The case should only go in so far if it passes thru it is worn out. If you have a spare gas cylinder try that if no help try a different op rod. The top round being on the right is only becuase most people are right handed and it aids in loading the rifle.

NickSS
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
If it satred working after stretching the mainspring you should probably buy a new mainspring and install it. Sounds like it is going flat and not giving enough push. this is really surprizing unless the gas piston tube is caked with grease.

Johnw...ski
08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
It is a new op-rod spring that I replaced earlier this year, a fancy stainless steel spring.

John

If it satred working after stretching the mainspring you should probably buy a new mainspring and install it. Sounds like it is going flat and not giving enough push. this is really surprizing unless the gas piston tube is caked with grease.