1 does anybody know the tin content of lino
2 what is a good mix acww
3 agood mix for soft lead
some is for 44 and 45 auto
soe is for 30 cal cast in 3030 and 06 under 1900fps
almost FORGOT what is lino costing now

454PB
08-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Unused linotype is supposedly 4% tin. I like a mix of 75% WW and 25% lino for my magnum handguns and rifles. For a mix that is near WW alloy, I use 33% lino and 66% pure lead. In general, I think lino is going for around $1 per pound, but is getting harder to find all the time.

HeavyMetal
08-13-2008, 11:48 PM
The real cost is gonna be freight!

AS for your tin content question I guess it depends on your source for "lino". Years ago I bought some type metal ( still readable type) and was told it was "lino". After I mixed up a batch mixed with Ww the boolits were 15% lighter than they should have been!

I didn't have a hardness tester at the time but did have a close freind with an earlier LBT unit.

What should have been 21BHN turned out to be 28 BHN! I used the formula for monotype in my next batch of ww to type metal mix and was rewarded with a boolit weight exactly what I had predicted it should be.

One more reason to buy a hardness tester, particularly one that gives, or can be converted
to give, BHN readings.

Now for a source of "Lino" here in LA any way that would be Art Green and he advertises in Handloader. If he flat rates, priorty mails you can get 70Lbs shipped (freight only, the lino will cost more) for about ten bucks Con Us.

crowbeaner
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM
The last I knew, new lino was around $1.50 a pound. That's not to say that you can't find it cheaper, that's what a printshop owner told me virgin stuff was. I found about 400 pounds of type at a scrap yard, and paid $.25 a pound for it 10 years ago. I had a guy GIVE me about the same amount just to get it out from underfoot. If you want a really good alloy with no messing around, try some Taracorp 311 bullet alloy if you can find it. Great stuff; I use it for my 225415 mould. It is just about perfect as far as boolit diameter and hardness for those little beggars. There is a place in Birmingham AL that carries Taracorp and Lawrence shot, but the name and link were lost when we had the computer wiped. If anybody has the link I'd be grateful. American Tin and Solder has several alloys that look promising; I like the looks of #14 myself.

Jon K
08-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Well.........I agree with what heavy Metal said "get a hardness tester". Using used Linotype, you don't know exactly what you're getting from your alloy mix til you test. You may get monotype, or a mix of, or how many times has it been fluxed & tinned?

I test each batch of Linotype when I smelt it, I then test again when I smelt each batch of alloy(WW+12% Linotype).
I use this mix rifles or pistols and have had no issues. 1500fps+ use a GC.

How hard do you want it?........... That's like asking the Ford & Chevy question.

Jon

testhop
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
i have just bought some what i belive ie monotype its is 30%antimony 12%tin 58%lead
but i have a chart that says what i bought was stereotype so i am confuse i want to mix
it with range lead if any bodyhave any body have any ideas how much to use in a 20 lb pot
or a 45 lbs pot

IF I HIGHJACKED THIS POST I AM SORRY

PS I AM CASTING 45, 44. 22 30 35
I HAVE WW SOFT LEAD ALSO LINOTYPE THAT I CAN MIX IN

Jon K
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Mix and test a small amount and test hadness, til you get your desired hardness, and try to repeat it, cause now you're going to get into the unknown. You are at the mercy of By Guess and By Golly, cause that's what range lead is. You don't know who was there and what they shot....................

Good Luck,
Jon