PDA

View Full Version : Question on underhammer maker

BPJONES
10-30-2017, 04:58 PM
I've come across a Hopkins & Allen underhammer 45 caliber in quite decent condition. I was expecting to see Numrich stamped on it as the maker. Instead it is stamped Challanger MFG. Corp. Mt. Vernon NY. From what I gather, these were built by a fellow to whom Numrich sold the rights and name to after they quit masking them. Are these guns of the same quality as Numrich? What type of value do they have being stamped Challanger MFG. ?

bob208
11-02-2017, 06:26 PM
they are the same as the Hopkins and allen. they also sold the tooling with the name and rights. parts interchange. as to value it depends where you are standing. where i am it is flintlock so they go cheaper. I have bought some for $180 and a other for $300. what model is it? the offhand or the heritage ? does it have the peep sight? or is it the heavy barrel target model ?the buggy model goes cheaper.

BPJONES
11-02-2017, 06:35 PM
It is the heritage buggy model without peep sight. It's quite nice but I have forgotten about it. I offered the seller $300.00 and never heard back. He is asking $400.00.

big bore 99
11-02-2017, 06:38 PM
I have an old .58 cal I built from a kit way back in the 60's. I put a Williams peep sight on it with a Lyman hooded front sight. It shoots great and cuts 4X4's in half. Sometimes needing a second shot.

1Hawkeye
11-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Last I knew Deer Creek Products was selling the old H & A underhammers as kits for under $300.00. Iv'e built 4 of them a .36, .45 & two .50's.
They were already put together with nice maple stocks at that. All you had to do was the finishing.

bob208
11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
you were high on your offer he should have grabbed it. his price he is dreaming. they all came with the peep sight most got lost. I have seen the peeps go for $100.

BPJONES
11-03-2017, 12:19 PM
you were high on your offer he should have grabbed it. his price he is dreaming. they all came with the peep sight most got lost. I have seen the peeps go for $100.

Kind of what I thought. I'm glad he didn't respond, lol!

John Taylor
11-05-2017, 01:47 AM
I offered $150 for one a while back and I got it. Pecatonica (http://www.longrifles-pr.com/index.shtml) has the kits and wood available.

1Hawkeye
11-05-2017, 08:04 PM
The guy across the isle from the me at the gun show this weekend had one in .58 caliber with a lyman globe on the front and an old T/C tang sight on the action. this one is marked on the top flat of the barrel.
Challenger/Northeast
HoA underhammer improved
Solon Maine

On the next barrel flat its marked
Deerstalker model
CAL.58
The rifle is in the white with a 32" barrel that's 1 1/8" across the flats and a walnut pistol grip stock.
The nice guy selling it made me an offer I couldn't refuse as the show was packing up so its my problem now:grin: