PDA

View Full Version : Stevens M 59A Bolt 410

Molly
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi fellows,

This is one of those freebie favor-for-a-friend's-friend's-friend deals. I've been asked to fix a badly bubba'd 410 bolt action Stevens M 59A. Ordinarily, this is no big deal, but ...

Bubba had a dremel that let him REALLY mess it up, and it's going to take some welding to rebuild the cocking surface. But to do that, I've got to get the darn bolt apart. It's mostly apart, but I'm having trouble with a mainspring retainer ring that I can't get out. It wraps halfway around the rear of the bolt, and has two little fingers that go into the bolt and keep the spring in place. Trouble is, it's flush with the bolt surface, and I can't get a grip on it from the outside. And Bubba apparently changed the main spring to something from a Mack truck: It fills the bolt to the point that the firing pin can't project from the face of the bolt, and is so stiff that I can hardly move it with a vice! So the fingers are well and truly held tightly by what should be nothing much more than a friction fit.

If someone familiar with this boat anchor could give me a tip, I'd really appreciate it. I'm about ready to toss the bolt and tell him to buy a new one from Numrich, but Numrich doesn't have one! Or the parts to assemble one. HALP!

Anyone got any 'here's how' advice? Anyone got a spare bolt? It needs a magazine tube too, if someone out there happens to have one.

Molly

Baron von Trollwhack
08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Start a search on google.

There are several shotgun places that maintain large collections of shotgun "pieces" for parts sales.

I usually have luck with a search such as "Stevens model 59 shotgun". BvT

Frank46
08-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Molly, think those rings are called either "snap rings" or C rings". Should have a little hole in each end. If you have a auto parts place or even sears they sell a set of pliers
and little pins that fit the pliers that are used to expand and then remove the ring. At least thats what I get from your description of the problem. Frank

Molly
08-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the responses fellows,

Baron, I'll do the google, but as a last resort. I was really hoping someone might be able to tell me how to get the darn retainer ring out without breaking it. Bubba apparently managed to do it, and put it back in too!

Frank, I thought of the snap ring replacement, but I don't think it will work without a LOT of work. From what I can see of the ring, it's got two tabs (one each end) that are 90 degree projections from the ring. Snap rings - at least those I'm familiar with - have long, gradual projections. But I'll see what I can find: If I can find the right diameter snap ring, I just might be able to grind the ends down. Frankly, I was thinking it might be easier - and less trouble - to bend a piece of piano wire.

Regards, and thanks again.
Molly

Molly
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Addendum: Figured out how to get that doggone retainer out: I just drilled a hole through it. This broke its back, and gave me a place to get a pin under it. Once I lifted it with the pin and grabbed it with a channel lock, it came out easily. As it shold have: I assumed the tips went through holes in the body. Not so: The body is cut 2/3 of the way through and the retainer is just a drop in or push in. I could have driven it out sideways, if I'd just known. I guess I'll go with the snap ring replacement.

Anyhow, Bubba must have been a real man: Not only did he use far too strong a replacement spring, he had it held down with (really) a threaded nut (on a smooth rod) that he'd ground sorta round to fit inside the bolt. I don't have a suitable spring, so I'm going to see what I can do by clipping enough off of this one that it'll fit into the space provided in the cocked condition. Then I have to get the cocking cam tig welded up, find a magazine follower tube, hope the magazine tube isn't bent, deburr all the pin holes, assemble and test fire it. All this trouble for a chunka junka I wouldn't have paid $50 for if it were in good shape. And it'll never be in good shape again, even if a blue job replaced the 'patina' over much of the barrel and action. All as a favor for a friend. I might need to review some of my friendships. (BG)

Molly