PDA

View Full Version : CCW with speedloaders?

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 03:09 AM
As I’m finding myself carrying my LCR a lot more frequently, it’s amazing what good holsters can do! I’m wanting to be able to reload in a decent time if needed. I’ve got the Bianchi speed strips and they are great, to a point, and I’ve resigned myself that the HKS just isn’t going to cut it in a stressful situation, I broke down and ordered two of the 5star speedloaders. Cooler weather I can carry the speedloaders, slim summertime I can fall back on the speed strips if I can’t find something slim.
So how do you CCW speedloaders? I’ll go jacket pocket carry for now, but would like a decently priced pouch that actually fits them, not too big, not too small, you know. I’ve looked at the 5star offerings, liked the kydex until I read the reviews, and the other “thing” is just butt ugly and overpriced imo! The others seem to be a “one size fits all” type, so so, but never going to be great for anything and will be bulky.
Pants pocket carry isn’t an option, I EDC too much **** to reliably be able to fish one out.
So other options please?

JBinMN
10-30-2017, 03:46 AM
I can't help with your question much, as I don't everyday carry. I do have a request for ya since ya ordered the 5Star speedloaders...

Will they work "speedily" with the grips on the LCR without rubbing on the grips? (<if you are using a stock grip set)

I put a set of Pachmyr grips on the one I got for the missus since she wanted the third finger slot for her pinkie finger to help her in holding the revolver. ( she has carpal issues) I wanted it for my bigger hands as I don't like the original two finger grips.

I bought a round HKS speedloader for it, for her & it works, but it is a tight fit past the grips. I realize I could put the old grip on to test, but since we don't like the old original ones it would not matter. That speedloader also fits a Charter Arms 38SP I have with the same type issue. The speedloader hangs up a bit on the grip.

So, I am going to get some of the Bianchi strips for her. ( I had a couple , but believe it or not, after 30 years they have deteriorated to where they are strips of 2,2 & 1 & 1. Or something like that.
LOL ;) I threw the pieces away... But at that length of time they are worth the buy...

Anyway, if you get the 5star speedloaders , please post on how they work for ya on that pistol. I would be thankful for it.
:)

G'Luck in your getting what ya seek!

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 03:59 AM
I also have the HKS, I know exactly what you speak of, IT SUCKS! (On this gun.) The videos and reading I’ve done, these are supposed to work perfectly. Like you, I’m sceptical as well! I’ll gladly report back for you, and I’m sure others, on how they work. I’m hopeful they work perfectly.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-30-2017, 07:32 AM
d ...

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 08:05 AM
No, it doesn’t lol! I may as well carry my Delta Elite, with two mags, AND the LCR. Empty the LCR, drop it for a “New York speedloader” and grab the Delta! That won’t get heavy ever, lol!
As much as I like my LCR, I don’t think I could bring myself to buy another one. My chambers are to spec, but it suffers from the sticky .357mag fired cases. I’ve lapped and honed them, need to shoot it more to see if that fixed it, but knowing I’m not the only one with this issue doesn’t instill the greatest of confidence with it.
Sad as it sounds, I’d probably buy a Tarus next as a backup/possible keeper.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-30-2017, 08:21 AM
g! ;)

35remington
10-30-2017, 08:31 AM
All speedloaders suck if you do not relieve the grips so the rounds drop in freely.

So modified, my HKS speedloaders work perfectly and I highly recommend them. Rentention of rounds is somewhat better than alternative types.

Dedicate a single hip pocket to the speedloader. Put no other stuff in there. Belt carry of speedloaders is an option but it "prints" more than the revolver itself, so it is hip pocket for me. Decide if reloading the revolver is more important than managing the useless stuff you have in your pockets. It is for me. I carry two knives keys and a wallet and always have a pocket for the speedloader only.

KCSO
10-30-2017, 08:59 AM
The answer is... PRACTICE! I carried a revolver for many years and first started out trying quick reloading from belt slide. Two rounds at a time hours and hours and quick reloads were natural. Same with speedloaders, we started with Safariland IIRR and then went to HKS style, each needed many hours of practice to get the hang of them. Say 10,000 reps and you will reload like a pro even when stressed out it becomes muscle memory.

There is no easy road to perfection.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 09:16 AM
All speedloaders suck if you do not relieve the grips so the rounds drop in freely.

So modified, my HKS speedloaders work perfectly and I highly recommend them. Rentention of rounds is somewhat better than alternative types.

Dedicate a single hip pocket to the speedloader. Put no other stuff in there. Belt carry of speedloaders is an option but it "prints" more than the revolver itself, so it is hip pocket for me. Decide if reloading the revolver is more important than managing the useless stuff you have in your pockets. It is for me. I carry two knives keys and a wallet and always have a pocket for the speedloader only.
I’ll disagree for now. The 5Star’s are relieved and thined to work with the LCR. Granted, I don’t have them in hand to verify this, but the videos certainly show them working well, from numerous prejudiced people.
My EDC items are not “useless” to me by any means! One pocket contains my wallet, car keys, change and fingernail clippers. The other my HDS flashlight and a Leatherman, both of which are used almost daily as well as the flashlight compliments the handgun! I live on being able to fix things others can’t, and often do it with just what’s in my pockets, so I assure you, if I don’t need it, I don’t carry it!

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 09:24 AM
The answer is... PRACTICE! I carried a revolver for many years and first started out trying quick reloading from belt slide. Two rounds at a time hours and hours and quick reloads were natural. Same with speedloaders, we started with Safariland IIRR and then went to HKS style, each needed many hours of practice to get the hang of them. Say 10,000 reps and you will reload like a pro even when stressed out it becomes muscle memory.

There is no easy road to perfection.

I’m fairly quick with the speed strips, but I can see being under duress things can and will happen! Given the option of making 2-3 moves to a loaded gun vs 5-6 steps to get to a loaded gun (speedstrip) I’ll take the lesser moves every time! Sorry, but in a hurried stressful situation, the simpler you can make things, the better, every time!
I’m not bashing speedstrips, they do work, but given the options, I’ll take fast and easy all day!

Mytmousemalibu
10-30-2017, 09:53 AM
I use the Safariland Comp 1's for my J-Frame and prefer those over the HKS. I carry 2 in my right dropleg pocket stacked together with a silicone rubber band holding them together. Might not be the fastest way but I'm compromising for the sake of EDC comfort.

Outpost75
10-30-2017, 11:04 AM
I would like to see some actual statistics as to how many times a civilian CCW actually ever needed to reload.

Most of this is pure mall ninja mental masturbation from guys who make their living teaching classes, many of whom have no street cred... Undercover cops, sure, but if you don't go places where you shouldn't, don't do stupid things and maintain situational awareness, VERY unlikely!

A very few people live in high risk neighborhoods, willingly put themselves in danger by going places where stupid people congregate and do stupid things...

But for most of us the risk of engaging multiple targets in the Food Lion, Cosco or Walmart parking lot highly unlikely.

If you are genuinely concerned that five shots in your revolver isn't enough, then:

Carry a second revolver, the fastest reload is a New York Reload...
But having a spare speed strip is a viable choice.

But if you are going to worry about it, then rethink your revolver choice and carry something else...

johniv
10-30-2017, 11:24 AM
What Outpost said...

Larry Gibson
10-30-2017, 11:45 AM

+1

I've used speed loaders since the mid '70s on numerous revolvers of various makes. I prefer the HKS. When in practice I could do a 1 to 1 1/2 second reload with them on my service revolver from the duty belt. The grips of many revolvers most often need modification. The proper technique of using the HKS or any other speed loader is necessary. I haven't seen it taught in a long while.

35remington
10-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Lol.

Lose the fingernail clippers!

I can't think of a less worthwhile item to carry than that!

Low capacity guns justify carrying extra ammo at some point. Since my snubby eliminates pests of the four legged kind extra ammo is handy. If you think a reload is important either put up with the bulk of a belt mounted speedloader or put your must have tools on your belt.

Clip your nails at home. Use the Leatherman to cut stuff.

A speedloader on a belt says you are carrying a gun if it is seen. A speedloader in your pocket does not. Your choice.

If carried in a pocket nothing else should be in that pocket besides the ammo loading device.

My HKS goes in my right hip pocket where I regularly sit on it with no ill effect. Speed strips are more comfortable but slower, but are better to top off the gun when woods walking and a round is spent on a pest.

By my count you have a pocket left over. Keys and coins in one pocket, wallet and tools in the other two. Jeans have four. There is the speedloader receptacle. That is how I do it.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 12:14 PM
Ok, I guess some education needs to be spread. Back in my “heyday” I carried a Glock 19 on my person and had a Cobray Mac11 with a 35rnd mag loaded, and a loaded Colt Annaconda as backups in the truck. I’ve “been there, done that” in the realm of being in stupid places at stupid times! I’ve worked security at the local bar the night the El Forstnerous showed up. I was carrying my Delta Elite and two extra mags for that event, the LCR wasn’t even a consideration!
I’m old and broken now, I make better choices and am more aware of my environment than many care to give me credit for. Just because I’m quiet doesn’t mean I’m not observant!
Nowdays I make better choices and watch what I’m getting into carefully, and honestly thought five rounds of .357mag should be plenty to get me out of pretty much any situation I’d be in. But the quickly changing political environment has really made me question my choice!
If I could dump the LCR and get something of a reasonable caliber auto, I’d probably be all over it right now, but I don’t see that as a realistic option, and I’m of limited funds, so I’m trying to make the best of what I already have. I hope to never have to fire the damn thing, much less have to reload it! But if I do, have to reload it, I’d rather make it as easy as possible.
So, now that everyone has had the chance to tell me how much of an idiot I am for my weapon choice, and stupidly thinking I may end up in a situation where I may need to reload, quickly and under duress. Can we please answer the original question about how to carry a speedloader?
Feel free to start another thread extolling the merits of my ignorance on so many levels, but for now, I’d like to know a decent way to carry a god damned speedloader without the peanut gallery, that knows nothing of my situation, interjecting on why I’m a *******!

Kosh75287
10-30-2017, 12:25 PM
In warm weather, I wear a t-shirt, with a solid navy-blue "BDU" shirt over it, kinda like a jacket. I keep a magazine in each pocket, with NOTHING ELSE. I'd think it'd work with HKS speed-loaders, at least as well.

I agree with what Outpost75 said, except that a defender gets NO vote as to how many adversaries he will face and erring on the side of caution, even to excess, need not be troublesome. The advice about your considering the use of an automatic seems prudent to ME.

Larry Gibson
10-30-2017, 12:27 PM
In a pocket. You obviously have some sort of shirt or jacket that conceals the handgun so use one with a pocket in the right place for quick easy access. I don't think anyone inferred you were an idiot for carrying a revolver, I certainly didn't as I many times carry one.

johniv
10-30-2017, 01:21 PM
I carry speed struts in my front pocket. Speed liaders, when I carry them, also front pocket. I dress like Emmit Kelly anyhow , so appearance does not enter into my concerns FWIW.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 01:23 PM
In a pocket. You obviously have some sort of shirt or jacket that conceals the handgun so use one with a pocket in the right place for quick easy access. I don't think anyone inferred you were an idiot for carrying a revolver, I certainly didn't as I many times carry one.
Winter/cool weather, I’m wearing a flannel jacket, easy to bury most anything. Warmer climes I’m in a pocket-T in jeans or shorts. The shirt covers the gun well and the T-pocket is full of my evil cigarette’s, yes, I’m a very bad man, but selective on what I’m willing to carrry!

Larry Gibson
10-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Looks like your set for winter. For summer wear with the T-shirt a "belt slide" can easily be made for one speedloader to fit on the belt right behind or in front of the holster depending whether you wear it in the 3 or 4 o'clock position.

country gent
10-30-2017, 01:40 PM
I believe I used the safarilands also for my J frames. no knob to turn drop in and push to release the rounds and let drop, very fast and compact for a speedloader. Kind of a pain to load until you get used to them though. I have used speed strips HKS safariland and loose rounds in a pocket depending on requirements. Don't discount the loose rounds either. One plus is you can top off the revolver if needed not discarding loaded ammo in a situation where its limited.
The big thing is to practice with what you use, ALOT to the point you can reload in a dark room with out looking or thinking it needs to be muscle memory. This with any form of reload you might be using. Practice makes the reload smooth and smooth is fast. Do this with dummy rounds not live ammo.
The fastest reload for a handgun is a second handgun LOL

35remington
10-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Nobody called you foolish for carrying a revolver or I am a fool too.

My message was that if you want to pocket carry a speedloader ditch something you carry now like the nail clipper. If you want a bulge that conceals less well belt carry the reload. Or the tools. If your pockets still have no room after ditching the nail clipper you can't do everything pocket carry.

My comments assume no coat is worn.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Nobody called you foolish for carrying a revolver or I am a fool too.

My message was that if you want to pocket carry a speedloader ditch something you carry now like the nail clipper. If you want a bulge that conceals less well belt carry the reload. Or the tools. If your pockets still have no room after ditching the nail clipper you can't do everything pocket carry.

My comments assume no coat is worn.

Point made. I carry the speed strips in empty back pockets. I’m just looking for something to carry these “smallish”? speedloaders, maybe under a T-shirt, maybe under a light jacket? I honestly don’t know? This time of year I can “conceal carry” a damn AR under my duster! So I get it may not be the prettiest of means, but it would be a wonder to find at least one decent pouch that you could carry weak side, is that too much to ask? If it is I guess I’ll have to design and build what I need!
This is crazy, it shouldn’t be this hard to find a halfway concielable speed loader pouch!

35remington
10-30-2017, 06:22 PM
In my worst case scenario it is July and I am wearing a T shirt. Under those conditions a belt or waist carried speedloader looks like I am growing a boob on my waistline and it prints way more than a revolver butt when said revolver is carried appendix IWB. Under those conditions the speedloader rides in my back right pocket.

Cold weather is no problem. Carry in an accessible coat pocket. Since I use my dominant hand with a speedloader I carry on that "strong" side.....right side hoodie pocket or jeans jacket, for instance since I am right handed. Cold weather gives carry options warm weather does not.

35remington
10-30-2017, 06:42 PM
The problem is that the words "concealable" and "speed loader pouch" do not go together well unless there is a cover garment atop it. Speedloaders are as wide as the cylinder, a pouch adds two thicknesses of leather or other material to the width of the speedloader, and the whole assemblage is a big wart projecting from your side at the waistline.

If conditions are such that a belt carried handgun is covered by a bulky garment then a belt located speedloader is fine and conceals well. If it is T shirt weather your side or front has a visible growth on it.

BKS
10-30-2017, 07:33 PM
If Im going to carry a speedloader for a pocket gun, just as soon carry another pocket gun. My reloads for airweights are bianchi speed strips

Outpost75
10-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Back in the day when the FBI and other Federal agencies carried revolvers, there was a company which made a molded speed loader "keeper" which encircled the speed loader on the belt, such that three rounds were inserted INSIDE the belt and three rounds were OUTSIDE, and the molded, 1" wide leather keeper encircled the speed loader on the belt, and released one snap by raising a thumb tab, as you lifted the HKS or Safariland speed loader off the belt.

I don't remember who made these, I believe Buchheimer, and haven't seen a new one in years.

My old ones are falling apart... and are unmarked.

35remington
10-30-2017, 07:48 PM
I recall seeing a setup somewhat like that myself, but yeah, not recently. Oh well. Belts are not summer compatible for me. Need a little breeze goin' on if you know what I mean. Spring fall and winter, sure.

Admittedly I am summer-centric in my carry thoughts. I see it as most inconvenient then. I carry a bigger pistol in the cooler months.

Outpost75
10-30-2017, 08:27 PM
I recall seeing a setup somewhat like that myself, but yeah, not recently. Oh well. Belts are not summer compatible for me. Need a little breeze goin' on if you know what I mean. Spring fall and winter, sure. Admittedly I am summer-centric in my carry thoughts. I see it as most inconvenient then. I carry a bigger pistol in the cooler months.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm a Carharts and suspenders kind of guy these days most of the time, unless it's BDU shorts and suspenders...

Pocket holsters for EDC are my best friend and speed strips don't print in the watch or knife pocket. My fall and winter coats have built-in suspension straps which allow the shoulders support the weight of a holstered full-sized handgun without the coat pulling or the gun printing. One of the advantages of knowing a skilled Vietnamese tailor who learned his trade from the very best.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 08:51 PM
Well at least things are getting interesting now!

35remington
10-30-2017, 08:54 PM
I have to admit strips and hot summer days or field use of the pistol go together really well. Pocket carry may give you a leg up on the draw in a lot of instances. This may beat flinging a garment out of the way.

Rick R
10-30-2017, 08:59 PM
I believe these are what you gents are looking for:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1338467174/safariland-371-split-six-leather-speedloader-pouch-comp-i-j-frame-5-shot-black

I have one I use when I carry my S&W 629

JBinMN
10-30-2017, 09:15 PM
I am curious & this is likely the subject of another topic... But, although I understand completely the "Concealed" part of CCW permits. I have a couple questions...

At what point does it matter if your "concealed" firearm, or speedloader, "Prints" or not?

And... why would it make any difference in a state that allows Open as well as Concealed?

I think I can understand that one does not want to "stand out" among others if carrying. For more than one reason.

If ya want to wear one, do so. ( Permit or not IMO, btw. ;) I stand for Const. Carry for all. )

But I am not so sure I understand this "printing" & why it is so important....

Maybe it is my mindset, since I live in a rural area, do not care if someone open carries or not & am not in, or putting myself into situations on a semi or regular basis where I feel concerned enough to carry all the time.

I also don't look at folks, ( although I am pretty observant) to see if I think they are carrying or not. IOW, If ya had a speedloader sticking out a little somewhere around your beltline, I prolly would not care nor notice. It could be a multi-tool case or a pepper spray case, a colostomy bag, or whatever...

I wear a fixed blade knife on my belt 99.9 % of the time, both here rural & even in the big city( 80k + and Liberal as hell ta boot) and no one seems to give a hoot. Not one person has asked me in years about it. Including the LEOs...

So, although it is a bit of a sidetrack, I am curious about some of the ""whys" this "printing" is so important to some.

I am not trying to cause an issue, nor to hijack the topic. I can delete this post if necessary & asked by the OP, sawinredneck.

But if anyone wants to help out to explain & educate me, here, unless it is a "no no", that'd be great.

35remington
10-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Some people will not notice. Others are looking. Not printing is for the lookers.

Great link on the belt split speedloader. Still carry it in my pocket for summer tho. One less thing rubbing on my waist is good, and as I said no belts in the summer for me. Maybe a spring fall thing with a light jacket.

sawinredneck
10-30-2017, 09:43 PM
The original KS law allowed for no printing at all, unless open carried. They have since revised that law and we are now afforded some wiggle room. But that’s not my main concern, the entire point of CCW is the element of surprise, nothing more.
Say you are “open carrying” in your local bank, after or during taking out the guard you are another high priority target to establish control now!
Say you’ve got a rig that “prints well” in this situation you are target number three, and are either killed or disarmed with a quickness. Much like the guards.
Say you go shopping at a “less than” gun friendly city, your gear prints, no matter your adjustments and you get called out, spend the night in the clink and have to fight to prove you are innocent. All without even pulling the firearm!
It’s a wicked game we play!

JBinMN
10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
The original KS law allowed for no printing at all, unless open carried. They have since revised that law and we are now afforded some wiggle room. But that’s not my main concern, the entire point of CCW is the element of surprise, nothing more.
Say you are “open carrying” in your local bank, after or during taking out the guard you are another high priority target to establish control now!
Say you’ve got a rig that “prints well” in this situation you are target number three, and are either killed or disarmed with a quickness. Much like the guards.
Say you go shopping at a “less than” gun friendly city, your gear prints, no matter your adjustments and you get called out, spend the night in the clink and have to fight to prove you are innocent. All without even pulling the firearm!
It’s a wicked game we play!

Thanks to ya both for your answers to my questions. It helped me out in my curiousity.
I reckon I am lucky. My relatively laid back AO makes it unlikely to need to carry, and even if I did, most times no one would know/notice, or care.
;)

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2017, 10:20 PM
I have HKS loaders for my 696 that I do use for IDPA. Uncle Mikes Speed Loader Holders on the belt.

As far as technique goes, just watch Jerry Miculek and do what he does. He is probably the best there is and what he does is easily learned. You might not be quite as fast but it still works and if you practice you can get pretty fast,,, pretty fast.

Randy

Larry Gibson
10-30-2017, 10:27 PM
I believe these are what you gents are looking for:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1338467174/safariland-371-split-six-leather-speedloader-pouch-comp-i-j-frame-5-shot-black

I have one I use when I carry my S&W 629

That is very similar to what I was talking about.

bedbugbilly
10-30-2017, 10:40 PM
I had a LCR - I tried the HKS speed loaders and they worked ok with it s long as you angled them in to the cylinder - my issue was with the HKS speed loaders. I carried them OWB in a nylon pouch and when i would pull them out, they would dump the cartridges 90% of the time as I had to grip them by the knob to pull them out. I dumped the LCR in favor of a Smith 36 J frame Chief's Special. The HKS speed loaders will work but I never use them now. I have speed strips but much prefer to just use a single leather "dump pouch" to carry spares. If I don't feel comfortable carrying the 5 shot J frame, I will carry my Shield with a spare mag OWB.

The LCR or a J frame are good carry pieces but I consider that if more than 5 shots are necessary, the situation will rarely allow for a quick reload of a revolver unless you are "under cover" from the perp's fire. And, I can change out a mag on a semi much faster than reloading a revolver regardless of what I use - just my personal thoughts as I know my own limitations when it comes to re-loading a revolver given my hands and abilities with a speed loader, speed strip or drop pouch. I carry OWB all the time and usually shirt tail or a jacket tail covers with no printing. I have to carry too much stuff in my pants pockets to eve think about carrying ammo there and for me, it is much quicker to get to OWB as far as mag pouch or drop pouch than it would be for me to fumble around in my coat or jacket pockets. That's the price of being older and having some hand issues.

Bigslug
10-31-2017, 01:20 AM
I pretty much rejected speedloaders as bulky, awkward things that are uncomfortable to sit on, choosing instead to carry two speed strips, and operate on the attitude that (A.) I'm packing 15 hits, not insurance for misses, (B.) our forbears got to shoot once before going to swords, so we really have nothing to whine about with five, and (C.) gunfights are as much about TIME than anything else - if you don't have time to solve the problem with what's in the gun, you're probably going to have trouble solving it with what's in your pocket.

Low Budget Shooter
10-31-2017, 03:35 PM
I carry along a Safariland Type I speedloader in one pocket. I do not envision being able to reload with it while actively engaged by a bad guy. Instead, I envision being able to reload with it during a lull in the action, or when the action is over.

sawinredneck
11-02-2017, 01:29 PM
I can't help with your question much, as I don't everyday carry. I do have a request for ya since ya ordered the 5Star speedloaders...

Will they work "speedily" with the grips on the LCR without rubbing on the grips? (<if you are using a stock grip set)

I put a set of Pachmyr grips on the one I got for the missus since she wanted the third finger slot for her pinkie finger to help her in holding the revolver. ( she has carpal issues) I wanted it for my bigger hands as I don't like the original two finger grips.

I bought a round HKS speedloader for it, for her & it works, but it is a tight fit past the grips. I realize I could put the old grip on to test, but since we don't like the old original ones it would not matter. That speedloader also fits a Charter Arms 38SP I have with the same type issue. The speedloader hangs up a bit on the grip.

So, I am going to get some of the Bianchi strips for her. ( I had a couple , but believe it or not, after 30 years they have deteriorated to where they are strips of 2,2 & 1 & 1. Or something like that.
LOL ;) I threw the pieces away... But at that length of time they are worth the buy...

Anyway, if you get the 5star speedloaders , please post on how they work for ya on that pistol. I would be thankful for it.

G'Luck in your getting what ya seek!
I got the 5Stars today, wow are they nicely made, I’m impressed! They fit right into the cylinder and you can freely spin the cylinder with the loader in it. No way the HKS would do that!
I’ve also come across these, https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/speedloader-case.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmxSYVHKRFQ
Nice, but I’m not sure $40 nice?
I’m saving up for a MidwayUSA order, I’ll probably try the Safariland split six as a start. Be better if I could find it in brown, but for the price I’ll deal!

JBinMN
11-02-2017, 01:48 PM
I got the 5Stars today, wow are they nicely made, I’m impressed! They fit right into the cylinder and you can freely spin the cylinder with the loader in it. No way the HKS would do that!
I’ve also come across these, https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/speedloader-case.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmxSYVHKRFQ
Nice, but I’m not sure $40 nice?
I’m saving up for a MidwayUSA order, I’ll probably try the Safariland split six as a start. Be better if I could find it in brown, but for the price I’ll deal!

Thanks! I appreciate your remembering to tell em about them!
:drinks:

Time for me to do a little shopping for the Mrs. for Christmas.
;)

sawinredneck
11-02-2017, 02:06 PM
No problem, as I said I wasn’t sure myself, but they do everything as advertised.

Petrol & Powder
11-02-2017, 02:23 PM
As a dedicated revolver dude, I can say that I gave up on HKS loaders and switched to Safariland many years ago.

HOWEVER, that being said, I'm completely with Outpost75 concerning the small need for a reload in most civilian deadly force encounters.

I will also say that the major drawback to a speedloader for concealed carry is the fact that the speedloader must be the same size as the gun's cylinder. The chief advantage of a Speedstrip is the fact that it is flat. It is slower to use than a speedloader but we've already conceded that the odds of needing a reload are exceedingly slim. So not much is lost with a speedstrip as a CCW reload. The speedstrip carries nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans and assuming you are right handed, puts the speedstrip exactly where it needs to be.

FergusonTO35
11-04-2017, 10:17 PM
I carry my S&W 637 frequently, my reload is carried in a speed strip. As with every other pocket gun, this little snub is a compromise in many ways. I use the speed strip because it carries flat and holds one extra round. The 637 does have some advantages over autos of similar size. Double or single action, heavy for caliber boolit (I use Lyman wadcutters), very accurate for it's size, can be fired with the muzzle pressed against the target.

Petrol & Powder
11-04-2017, 11:02 PM
I only place 5 rounds in a speedstrip even though it can hold six. It gives you a little more to hold onto.

Greg S
11-05-2017, 02:47 AM
Check out TK Customs, they mill your Ruger or S&W to take moon clips. If I was still kicking doors and carried a wheel, i'd go that route with a seed strip for top offsmon the go.

sawinredneck
11-05-2017, 07:33 AM
I’ve toyed with the moon clip idea, even have the means to make them and machine the cylinder myself. But I don’t see being able to carry them any easier than a speed loader?
As I’ve said, I do have, and carry speed strips, and I don’t fancy myself as some super action movie hero loading while either standing and getting shot at or ducking for cover and reloading to return fire.
I was merely asking for out of the box ideas to carry an easily accessible speed loader because with my failing health it’s much easier for me than using a speed strip. Nothing more.

rintinglen
11-05-2017, 08:12 AM
I have carried the Safariland Split six and recommend them for casual carry. A Colt cobra in an IWB holster and a Safariland Mk I speed loader in a split six conceal well under a loose shirt worn out side the belt.

Petrol & Powder
11-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Check out TK Customs, they mill your Ruger or S&W to take moon clips. If I was still kicking doors and carried a wheel, i'd go that route with a seed strip for top offsmon the go.

This can be a point of contention, so apologies up front if this rubs someone the wrong way.

I have some experience with moon clips and there's no doubt they are fast in terms of a revolver reload. For use in competition or just playing around, they are great.
However, A bent moon clip will tie up a gun. (voice of experience here) The problem isn't with the moon clip in the gun, that one is well protected. The problem is with the spare moon clip. A loaded moon clip carried loose in a pocket can become bent. A spare moon clip in some type of carrier is probably a little better but in the real world, things get beat up.

Now, we've already established that the odds of even needing to reload are very slim, so maybe the combination of needing to reload and having a damaged moon clip are too slim to worry about. I'd rather just use a speedstrip and not even deal with it.

The other issue with a full moon clip is just like a speedloader, it must be roughly the same diameter as the gun's cylinder, where a speedstrip is flat and therefore a lot easier to conceal.

Not trying to be argumentative here so if I ruffled any feathers, please accept my apology.

Finster101
11-05-2017, 12:40 PM
I wish I had not opened this thread. It's going to cost me.

Mr_Sheesh
11-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Finster101 - You're not the only one.

sawinredneck
11-05-2017, 08:18 PM
This can be a point of contention, so apologies up front if this rubs someone the wrong way.

I have some experience with moon clips and there's no doubt they are fast in terms of a revolver reload. For use in competition or just playing around, they are great.
However, A bent moon clip will tie up a gun. (voice of experience here) The problem isn't with the moon clip in the gun, that one is well protected. The problem is with the spare moon clip. A loaded moon clip carried loose in a pocket can become bent. A spare moon clip in some type of carrier is probably a little better but in the real world, things get beat up.

Now, we've already established that the odds of even needing to reload are very slim, so maybe the combination of needing to reload and having a damaged moon clip are too slim to worry about. I'd rather just use a speedstrip and not even deal with it.

The other issue with a full moon clip is just like a speedloader, it must be roughly the same diameter as the gun's cylinder, where a speedstrip is flat and therefore a lot easier to conceal.

Not trying to be argumentative here so if I ruffled any feathers, please accept my apology.
I’ve heard the same, on many other boards and blogs, about the bent moon clips. The general consensus has been they are great for competition, but VERY few people would be willing to carry them in a self defense application. No offense taken there.

I wish I had not opened this thread. It's going to cost me.

Finster101 - You're not the only one.
May I ask what you are considering purchasing? I’m just curious as I haven’t made a solid choice yet. One nice thing about being broke, you have time to research before making a purchase!

JBinMN
11-05-2017, 09:07 PM
I am going to get at least 4 more Bianchi speed strips. I have had them before as I said & they lasted quite a long time. I am also going to get at least one, if not 2 of those 5Stars for the missus for Christmas. I think it will make a nice gift for her anyway.
And she uses a purse, so it should not matter about any "printing" issues.
;)

Likely gonna sell or Pay It Fwd, that HKS I just bought. It will work, but IMO, not well enough without relieving the left grip & I do not want to do that.

Even though this is not my topic, I want to thank those who offered their experiences and suggestions!

And of course, Thanks to sawinredneck for starting the topic in the first place, & for the review & LCR "fit" tests with the 5star speedloaders.

sawinredneck
11-05-2017, 09:35 PM
You are most welcome and I’m sure your wife will love the 5Stars! I will suggest getting them anodized, I think this will help in hardening them up a little. My bare ones are a bit soft imo and I need to send an email suggesting they offer an HAIII anodizing option to really harden them.
I also just PID’d my HKS. A neighbor has an SP101 and it worked perfectly on it with no clearance issues.

Lefty Red
11-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Late to the party, but I wanted to add something about carrying speed strips.........I use the 8 round ones and load the five for my snubbies in a way that it doesn’t matter which end I grab, there is enough to hold on to and use.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2017, 07:51 AM
The 6 round speedstrip with 5 rounds loaded fits nicely in the watch pocket of blue jeans and if you're right handed, puts the reload on the correct side.

FergusonTO35
11-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Some very good ideas here. One thing is for sure, the gun you have with you always beats the gun you left at home because it was too big and/or uncomfortable to carry. For me, the most comfortable guns to carry are mid-size .380's (Glock 42, Colt Mustang and clones) and snubnose revolvers. I can carry one of these in the pocket, IWB, or on the ankle all day long with perfect comfort. I practice with these guns more than any others because I pretty much always have one of them on me and can shoot them as well if not better than most full size handguns. Today i was wearing a little extra clothing and so decided to carry my Glock 26 in a Safariland paddle holster. Even though the 26 is a subcompact it feels much more bulky than my smaller guns and is more of a pain to carry. I shoot the 26 well and like it, but it is not my first, second, or even third favorite carry gun.

oldhenry
11-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Back in the day when the FBI and other Federal agencies carried revolvers, there was a company which made a molded speed loader "keeper" which encircled the speed loader on the belt, such that three rounds were inserted INSIDE the belt and three rounds were OUTSIDE, and the molded, 1" wide leather keeper encircled the speed loader on the belt, and released one snap by raising a thumb tab, as you lifted the HKS or Safariland speed loader off the belt.

I don't remember who made these, I believe Buchheimer, and haven't seen a new one in years.

My old ones are falling apart... and are unmarked.

This may be the item you were thinking about. Bill Rogers designed these before he went with Safariland & it became part of the Safariland line. I have 2 doubles, but he made them in a single also. I used these when I shot IPSC with a revolver.

I came upon this thread late.

Henry

sawinredneck
11-25-2017, 01:11 AM
I got my Safariland split six today, been wearing it most of the day for trials, so far it’s, meh. I wish I could get it in tan, it rides very high and tends to rub you the wrong way without an undershirt, which I don’t wear, the 5star loaders fit very loose, I had the speedloader all but drop out while sliding the carrier on my belt.
Now the positives, it does hold tight to your body and is decently concialable under a T-shirt. I’ve been wearing it weakhand today, gun right side, speedloader left side, other than trying to dig in, you don’t know it’s there. You do have decently quick access to the speedloader, and I think a person using HKS loaders will be happier, the 5Stars are a lot smaller.
Summation, if you really want to carry a speedloader with your CCW rig, I think you’ll be hard pressed to find much better. But, as with about anything that’s CCW, it’s a compromise . I caught it on sale for like $7 and ordered some other things so it shipped free, it’s well worth that. But I wouldn’t encourage anyone to go out of their way to order one, if that helps?

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2017, 07:54 AM
yup ive carried for probably 20 years and never took an extra mag or speedloader. that said ive never even used the gun ive carried. I guess I figure 5 shots is a heck of a lot better then a stick. I don't plan on getting into any shootouts with a terrorist cell. About the worse id see up here is some crack addict that probably already sold his gun to buy drugs if he ever had one to begin with. ive fooled with speed strips enough to know that someone shooting at me isn't going to call a truce long enough for me to calmly reload. Speedloaders just print to much for summer carry. So in the summer I stick something like a j frame or lcp in my pocket and go. In the winter where printing doesn't mean as much id much rather have a glock 19 or 23 or 29 with one mag in it then a snubby with speedloaders. but to be truthfull even in the winter its a small gun in my pocket with no extra ammo. I do carry extra clips or speedloaders in the truck but I guess they don't help much in Walmart. Even my 43 and shield usually are relegated to truck guns. There to big for pocket carry and if I'm going to wear a holster I might as well carry a bigger gun. I ccw gun to me is a last ditch weapon that is going to be used at about point blank range. I'm not a swat team member or even a police officer that's going to get into a sustained gun fight. Ill leave that to the pros. Like outpost hinted toward most of this is walter middy stuff. Id bet that the percentage of ccw carriers that actually even had to draw there gun in there lifetime is under one percent and id bet out of those that did it would be a ridiculously low number of those that had to reload.
I would like to see some actual statistics as to how many times a civilian CCW actually ever needed to reload.

Most of this is pure mall ninja mental masturbation from guys who make their living teaching classes, many of whom have no street cred... Undercover cops, sure, but if you don't go places where you shouldn't, don't do stupid things and maintain situational awareness, VERY unlikely!

A very few people live in high risk neighborhoods, willingly put themselves in danger by going places where stupid people congregate and do stupid things...

But for most of us the risk of engaging multiple targets in the Food Lion, Cosco or Walmart parking lot highly unlikely.

If you are genuinely concerned that five shots in your revolver isn't enough, then:

Carry a second revolver, the fastest reload is a New York Reload...
But having a spare speed strip is a viable choice.

But if you are going to worry about it, then rethink your revolver choice and carry something else...

Petrol & Powder
11-25-2017, 08:42 AM
The 5 Star loaders are certainly well made and beautiful devices. However, they are really nothing more than a HKS design nicely made with aluminum. I'm not criticizing their construction but in the end the lowly Safariland Comp I and Comp II will be faster.

I totally agree with the others that the need for a reload is probably very unlikely. A speedstrip to reload after the action is over would suffice.
If you're going to practice with your speedloaders, they're going to get dropped on the ground, a LOT. In fact, they're designed to fall away after the rounds are released.
I been picking up my same old Safariland loaders off of concrete, gravel, mud and grass for years. They keep chugging along. Those 5 Stars may be able to withstand that abuse but I would cry the first time I dropped one. In some ways, the Safariland and HKS loaders may be able to withstand that abuse better, particularly on concrete or gravel.

Larry Gibson
11-25-2017, 10:36 AM
"it rides very high and tends to rub you the wrong way without an undershirt, which I don’t wear"

Have you tried it upside down?

Larry Gibson
11-25-2017, 10:49 AM
I have a couple Safariland speed loaders still but all my other "carry" speed loaders are HKS. Things get squished and bumped around in pockets and too many times I've pulled and empty Safariland out of a pocket because the big button got pushed. The HKS do not lose the cartridges unless the knob is turned. With proper reload technique and a proper hold of the HKS speed loader (by the knob) it is just as fast as a Safariland. I trained too many LEOs in the proper use to think otherwise. I've even seen Safarilands dump the cartridges in the carriers because the top of the carrier flap got pushed down.

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2017, 10:55 AM
have to agree with Larry. the safariland loaders are great for competition shooting but not so much for carry.

rintinglen
11-25-2017, 11:40 AM
I am afraid I have to ardently disagree.
If not properly rotated when being filled, the Safariland loaders can lose cartridges, but when done right, they are as reliable as any other brand you can name, only faster. And the cartridges don't rattle. I used them for over 20 years on duty and have no problems recommending them. The only reason I have HK's is that they are made for many revolvers that are not Covered by Safariland. I do not recommend the 5 Star because for me they work backwards from the HK's that I am more familiar with. But they are shiny.

Petrol & Powder
11-25-2017, 02:53 PM
My preference for Safariland is also rooted in years of use. They have proven to be entirely reliable and faster than the HKS type. Like rintinglen stated, sometimes HKS is the only choice because the Safariland types only cover a few revolver models. The two main drawbacks to the Safariland types are increased cost (they run about 25% more than HKS) and lack of availability.

If you grab a HKS loader by the knob, sooner or later the inertia of the cartridges will cause the body of the loader (with the cartridges) to rotate and release the cartridges. If you grab the HKS loader by the body, you then have to reposition your fingers to the knob after the cartridges are started into the cylinder. That extra movement may seem like a small thing but it's a lot under stress. It also increases the likelihood of pulling the cartridges back out of the cylinder.

A huge portion of the complaints about the Safariland loaders come from people that don't load them properly.
In Ed Lovette's book, "The Snubby Revolver" he describes a technique to set up the Safariland Speedloader. I was taught a similar technique long before I read it in Ed's book but it still holds true.
And by the way, you can push the big button on top of a Safariland loader all you want, the rounds will not release. The cartridges are released when the "star" on the other side of the loader is pushed in. Like when the cartridges are in the chambers and the "star" bottoms out on the extractor or center pin of the cylinder. That "star" is well protected when all 5 or 6 rounds are locked in place around it.

I don't want to get into a Safariland vs. HKS or Ford vs. Chevy discussion but I will say the Safariland loaders get slandered a bit. They are actually very good speedloaders.

35remington
11-25-2017, 03:42 PM
P and P, you're already in the thick of a Safariland versus HKS discussion. At this point "want to" is something that is pretty evident.

Carry what you want. Everyone can make up their own mind.

sawinredneck
11-25-2017, 05:26 PM
"it rides very high and tends to rub you the wrong way without an undershirt, which I don’t wear"

Have you tried it upside down?
I have not, while this is a decent idea, I don’t think it would work in my case. My shirts won’t be long enough to cover it well.
As for the Safariland/HKS/other brand debate, it’s all moot in my case, none of them fit or work well on the LCR. The 5Star is the only loader that will clear the grips and seat the rounds in it.

Larry Gibson
11-25-2017, 06:06 PM
"Carry what you want. Everyone can make up their own mind".

As I said, I have both and still use both, just prefer the HKS.

P&P.....funny story; had a detective who carried a 2 1/2" M19 but had to carry the issue Winchester 38 SPL +P LSWCHPs in it. He carried a Safariland speed loader with the bullets slipped over the top of his belt. One day he was having lunch with a OSP Detective and an FBI agent. He started to get up but the back of the chair bushed down on the big knob which, as you say, doesn't push in, but guess what the top of the belt pushed up against? Yup, that star that releases the cartridges......3 of them hit the floor.....as they say now a days....AWKWARD.......

Then since both Safariland and other makes made the K and L frame speed loaders a "generic" size to fit 357 length shells there was a spacer to fit the bottom for use if 38 SPLs were carried. Was a plastic thing with a post in the middle....guess what hit that star ejecting the cartridges when something like the steering wheel hit the top of the carrier with the speed loader in it? Then there was the time I had 2 Safariland speed loaders in my jacket pocket for the 2" M10 I was carrying on a stakeout for a burglar. We spotted him and the chase was on through backyards, over fences, etc. After catching him, subduing him (he did not want to go quietly into the night), hooking him up and put him in a patrol unit I got back to my car, reached into the same pocket for the keys and found the speed loader had jostled over a key and it had pushed on that star releasing 6 cartridges into my pocket. Other officers in my and other agencies were having the same problems. Granted there were many officers and agencies that didn't have any such problems. Never heard of any HKS giving the same problems so many of us got them and then the department issued them instead of the Safariland.

Yes, I suppose someone could inadvertently turn the knob on a HKS but in many years as a LEO advanced firearms instructor for the Board of Police standards and training I never saw it happen. That's not to say it wouldn't though.

rockshooter
11-29-2017, 12:36 AM
1. another speed-loader carrier to look at is the Bianchi 16R-1
2. An inconspicuous speed-strip carrier is a flip-phone belt case- it will hold 2 strips
Loren

Combat Diver
11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
My EDC is a Smith 442 Pro carried in one of the front pockets. Other front has knife clipped along with other stuff inside. Back pockets have wallet and other speed strips. I added a set of CTC laser grips to help ensure those 5 rounds make it to the target, front sight is also painted orange. My Pro is also cut for moon clips and I may carry with one moon clip inside the gun to add in extraction. If I carry additional moon clips or traditional speed loaders (I prefer HKS because they also make them for my .41 N frame, .44 CA Bulldog and others) the are carried in other pockets in jacket.

CD