PDA

View Full Version : I guess, how to crown a barrel for a 12 gauge?

paraord
10-29-2017, 09:29 PM
So my good buddy drops off his ol' 12 gauge mossberg 500 asking me to sight it in. Hes got a new baby, less than no time, and I love any excuse to shoot. It needed a full breakdown and cleaning and when I was cleaning the barrel I noticed its got a smack in the crown. Now I know diddley squat about crowns, recrowning, and the effects on a 75 yard gun but heres a couple pics. What do ya think? Is this something I can just touch up with a hand reamer? Do I need to chuck it in a lathe cause I can do that. If thats the case what a crowing tool go for/anyone have one I could borrow for a few days? I know its just an old mossberg 500 but its my buddies and hes got less cash to burn than I do.

https://i.imgur.com/4IYfgh7h.jpg

jeepguy242
10-29-2017, 09:36 PM
I would just use a file of about the same radius to get it smoove and then use some touch up bluing

country gent
10-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Set it up in the lathe indicate both ends in and use a sharp HSS cobalt boring bar at your perfered angle and clean it up using the compound for feed. When cut clean a light polish with 600-800 grit wet dry paper around a ball and you should be good to go.

Texas by God
10-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Ask him first if he wants it fixed. If you do it without asking he will blame you for missing that 75 yd buck with a smoothbore lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RED333
10-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Ask, file, and finish with fine sand cloth.

NSB
10-30-2017, 06:36 PM
I've got some touch-up bluing if you need it.

2152hq
10-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Quick fix with a fine cut half-round file, then finish up with some grit paper backed up with your thumb pressed into the crown.
A piece of masking tape around the bbl at the very end/edge when rotating the grit paper with your thumb makes for a perfect polish line there.
Not a bad idea to use the tape while fileing either. It's easy to skip off the edge and down the side of the bbl even while doing very light work.

Cold blue touch up if you want to.

egg250
11-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Ditto the earlier comments, a shotgun crown is not as critical as a rifle or handgun crown. Let your buddy know and offer to clean it up for him. A half round file to remove the raised metal and polish with a bit of paper up to 400 grit.