PDA

View Full Version : Heavy loads in dragoon?

jaegerstutzen
10-29-2017, 07:15 PM
I have an armi san marco 3rd model with the 3 leaf rear site. Would like to duplicate the .45 long colt load of 265 gr. Boolet at around 950 fps. I think there in ample space for powder. Don't know if a mould exists and what rate of twist i would need. Formost however is will the gun take it. I am fixin to use 2f if it will work as i have beacoup. Thanks for looking, jaeger

Fly
10-29-2017, 08:29 PM
I shoot a 245 gr lee mold bullet in my dragoon with no problem. Those pistols are tuff as a boot.

Fly

rodwha
10-29-2017, 09:34 PM
I sent a fellow some custom bullets I had Accurate Molds create, and among them was a 285 grn WFN that I had designed with wide driving bands to increase pressure/velocity as this was meant for my ROA which has only so much capacity but strong enough to handle extremes. This fellow decided to load it in an ASM Walker with 52 grns of Pyrodex P and blew out the chamber wall.

Now he was the third owner so it's not known if this gun was well cared for or abused, and ASM was well known for having quality issues with some of their guns. It could well be that it wasn't one single thing. But then this heavy bullet had a lot of friction. Be careful.

My ROA using 35 grns (weighs about 38 grns) 3F Olde Eynsford and my 195 grn bullet likely produces close to 500 ft/lbs according to the various chronographed results posted using similar powders and projectiles. Other powders would struggle to pass 300 ft/lbs very far from what I've seen.

The original .45 Colt load was a 255 grn bullet from what I understand and later reduced to 230 grns to mirror the .45 Schofield load. The ballon head cases held more powder and used 40 grns (2F?).

Good Cheer
10-30-2017, 07:45 PM
rodwha,
Got myself a replacement nipple socket for the Ruger. I'll be trying some of your slugs pretty soon than you.

rodwha
10-30-2017, 10:50 PM
rodwha,
Got myself a replacement nipple socket for the Ruger. I'll be trying some of your slugs pretty soon than you.

I'd love to hear how they work out for you.

Don't recall if I mentioned what I noticed with mine or what powder(s) you have or intend to try, but mine seems to like 35 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7. I use an adjustable rifle measure and weighed my settings and found that Olde E weighs about 38 grns at that setting. Of course each gun is different, and as my measure has 10 grn increments I never tried anything other than by 5's as halfway is easy enough to eyeball.

Good Cheer
11-02-2017, 08:16 AM
rodwha,

Duh, meant to say "thank you" not "than you".