PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle

Bradley
10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_406/rifles-gibbs-gibbs-short-range-rifle.html

Pedersoli, obviously, has a bullet mold that will work here.
Does anyone else?

John Boy
10-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Why limit your self to the short range version of the Gibbs with a different twist & weight when the standard Gibbs is accurate from 100 - 1200yds ... https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_6/rifles-gibbs-gibbs-standard.html

Look on the link, the codes for the HB bullets & mold are listed

Don Purcell
10-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Agree with John Boy, why limit yourself with a slower twist barrel? But it's your money.

Chill Wills
10-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Among other models, Pedersoli makes two competition rifles (Gibbs). One for short range comp and the other for longrange/Creedmoor type shooting. The fast twist is of course for LR. Buy whichever meets your needs. The best bullet will be different depending on twist. I would strongly look elsewhere for good molds. The Pedersoli is not a good choice.
Almost any LR designed bullet for the BPCR rifles that PP or GG into a 0.448" barrel will work. Cast GG bullets at 0.448" or 0.449" and sized back in a push through die can be a good way to start. If you intend to compete, you will end up owning more then one mold so jump in...

BTW - I have and still do compete with my Gibbs. I shoot or have shot both PP and GG bullets with much accuracy.

oldracer
10-29-2017, 04:06 PM
I have one of the long range Pedersoli Gibbs and it was used. It came with their brass full length funnel/drop tube, 520 grain bullet mold, hand luber, hand sizer ( several dies) and a bullet starter. It has a 1 in 18 twist barrel with a slight amount of choke to it about 6 inches from the muzzle. The original owner had all that stuff but only shot patched round balls so there was no bore wear. Pedersoli says to set their bullet right on the powder, no wad or anything and use pure lead for the bullet that should be lubed just before shooting? Sooooooo after trying all sorts of stuff, Pedersoli's recommendations gave me the best results although I have only shot it out to 300 yards as that is as far as our range goes to. Also that Gibbs is the only rifle I have that shoots well with their bullet? If you check the 1000 yard world championships you'll find winners and high placing people with Pedersoli's rifle and stuff!

Bradley
10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Among other models, Pedersoli makes two competition rifles (Gibbs). One for short range comp and the other for longrange/Creedmoor type shooting. The fast twist is of course for LR. Buy whichever meets your needs. The best bullet will be different depending on twist. I would strongly look elsewhere for good molds. The Pedersoli is not a good choice.
Almost any LR designed bullet for the BPCR rifles that PP or GG into a 0.448" barrel will work. Cast GG bullets at 0.448" or 0.449" and sized back in a push through die can be a good way to start. If you intend to compete, you will end up owning more then one mold so jump in...

BTW - I have and still do compete with my Gibbs. I shoot or have shot both PP and GG bullets with much accuracy.

So what bullet moulds are you using?

Chill Wills
10-30-2017, 10:45 AM
I have molds made by Paul Jones, Steve Brooks that are set up to cast the correct diameter for my rifle. The Pedersoli barrel I have likes a 0.448" GG bullet and that size or slightly larger for PP bullets because they crush ever so slightly. The idea is you need to easily but firmly get them entered in the muzzle and pushed down on the powder charge............. up to 60 times in a match day.

This gets us into a much larger description of that aspect of the game and maybe a different thread.
Without the rifle in hand it is hard to make hard choices in fit.
As for bullet shape and weight, .....and you have to know when getting this rifle; the purpose is to shoot 800, 900, and 1000yards, 500-550 grain bullets of streamlined design are best.

Given P. Jones is retired, Buffalo Arms and Steve Brooks are top choices for correct molds. As good as the Pedersoli Rifle is I would stay far away from the molds they offer.

John Boy
10-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Look on the link, the codes for the HB bullets & mold are listed
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_200/pre_426/accessories-professional-bullet-moulds-block-with-1-cavity--minie-bullet.html
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_171/pre_358/accessories-bullet-set-50-minie-bullets.html

Boz330
10-30-2017, 12:31 PM
When I got my Gibbs I ordered a Buffalo Arms GG Mold and .449 Size and lube die. Since my buddy had been shooting one for awhile and was anal retentive so I got with him the first time out. He showed me one of his pound dies and showed me how to paper patch the resulting bullet. We took a batch of both the GG and PP bullets to the 300 yd line of the club we belonged to. The first group shot with the GG bullets was impressive to say the least. Then we shot the PP bullets and it was even better. When I went home that pound die went with me and I haven't shot any of those GG bullets since. The very first load we tried shot so good that I haven't changed it in 5 years.
I tried once to shoot without a wad since several folks said it didn't make any difference but it sure did in my rifle. Of course I tried it at a match and it cost me and aggregate medal. I only tried it on the first stage and immediately went back to using it for the rest of the match and literally finished just a couple points out of the aggregate. I was 20 points down from what I normally shoot at the first distance.

Bob

Chill Wills
10-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Here are three bullet designs that cover the range of what you might encounter when looking.

I have at least two more but I did not dig them out of the deep.

They show the GG, The high Bc PP, and the blunter nose that some people try.

The GG bullet pictured has a PP twin and I had S. Brooks cut two molds that were as alike as a PP and GG bullet could be, so I could test them for accuracy and Bc at great range.

The middle bullet is a PP high Bc bullet often called a money bullet. It is a bullet of choice for all around competing.

The blunter PP bullet is very accurate. At the closer ranges and on lower wind days it will compete with the best bullet designs. But, it is not a first choice for an all-round bullet.

All these come in at 0.448 - 0.449".

The GG bullet is the one I supplied Joe Hepsworth with - I don't know how many thousands. - he sold them to P.Gibbs match shooters that did not cast.

ResearchPress
11-01-2017, 02:43 PM
The late Dick Trenk (Pedersoli, USA) gave me permission to publish the 'Instructions & Advice for Long Range Shooting (http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/lrml/pedersoli-gibbs)' he wrote for the Pedersoli Gibbs. Have a read, it may help. There's also a bunch of other stuff on my site if you're interested in Long Range Muzzle Loading (http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/lrml).

David