PDA

View Full Version : Webster Scale

Pressman
10-28-2017, 01:25 PM
1953 Model RS with box, check weights and oil bottle. Webster had a habit of gluing the instructions inside the box lid so keeping the box is imperative.

Webster began offering reloading scales in 1952 after getting a patent for their balance design. They had four separate models, the RS being the only substitution weigh model. While this is supposed to be an excellent system for precise weight it takes the patience of Job to get it zero'd. There are four adjustments, two for weight and two for swing sensitivity. It did not stay on the market long.

Ken

TNsailorman
10-28-2017, 03:25 PM
I have a Webster also but it is not that complicated to zero. Works great. james

Binky
10-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Thank you Pressman, and all the other folks who contribute to the portion of the forum....Usually one of the first places I check!

TNsailorman
10-28-2017, 06:54 PM
I should have added that my Webster is The RW-1 and is excellent condition. It did not have the oil bottle with it but who can complain, I paid $5.00 for it. At first I had a bad attitude about it and then figured out that it needed an oil bottle to dampen the swinging of the arm (took forever to settle down by itself). I found a bottle of the right size and height now it works great. I am really into old equipment and I enjoy bringing them back to life. james

3006guns
10-28-2017, 09:07 PM
I remember reading a survey once, where reloaders were asked "What was the greatest advancement in the reloading hobby?" The overwhelming answer was "magnetic dampened scales!"

I have one of the old Pacifics that I bought, just because I like vintage Pacific stuff. No oil dampener, just a simple beam scale (balance) with weights. I've used it a few times and the heater vent at the far end of the room will cause it to oscillate wildly. Reloading back then was at a more relaxed pace. It HAD to be.........:)